Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to solve an issue with my 4x4 ADD system. J shifter engages t case but no front dif action unless I switch tubes on VSV under hood. Then 4x4 works like normal except no dash indicator. Both VSV click with 12v power applied.
So I go underneath strange japanese machine and see 2 wires coming off the top rear of the t case. One of said wires has been burnt in half. My detective skills lead me to believe this is my issue.
Someone tell me Im wrong or there is a way to reach these wires besides dropping the tranny.
Or just tell me the truth.

Thanks in advance

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
Could you post some piccies of this switch? ;)

I believe the indicator switch fer the instrument cluster indicator is off of the front differential. It's been identified that this switch can git corrosion into it and cause the circuit to not work. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
I did find these part numbers off of toyodiy.com though. ;)
84222SWITCH, TRANSFER INDICATOR, NO.1
84222-350601$58.24
84222BSWITCH, TRANSFER INDICATOR, NO.2
84222-350801$82.28
84222CSWITCH, TRANSFER INDICATOR, NO.3
84222-350701$58.24
84222DSWITCH, TRANSFER INDICATOR, NO.4
84222-350901$82.28

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
Looking through my EWD, I see there are a few Detection switches. Three fer the auto trans and two fer the manual trans. ;)

Detection switch (D3) to indicate Transfer neutral position. The wire colors to the switch are yellow and white/black stripe. This is only fer the auto transmission. ;)

Detection switch (D4) to indicate the Transfer L4 position. The wire colors to the switch are red/black stripe and white/black stripe. The red/black stripe wire goes back to the ABS ECU. ;)

Detection switch (D5) seems to indicate Transfer position. The wire colors to this switch are pink/green stripe and white/black stripe. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
I'm not sure what the procedure would be to access that wire harness would be. Piccies would be nice to see how much room you have to work with. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So heres pictures. Im not talking abt the wires in the foreground.
If you look on top right of transfer case in the transmission tunnel theres a circular plug with two wires coming out.
Ill take some more pics with flash so you can see better.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
Yup, it looks like yer either gonna have to drop the transmission or cut a hole through the floorboard. It looks like it might be possible to git access through the shifter hole. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im trying to solve an issue with my 4x4 ADD system. J shifter engages t case but no front dif action unless I switch tubes on VSV under hood. Then 4x4 works like normal except no dash indicator. Both VSV click with 12v power applied.
So I go underneath strange japanese machine and see 2 wires coming off the top rear of the t case. One of said wires has been burnt in half. My detective skills lead me to believe this is my issue.
Someone tell me Im wrong or there is a way to reach these wires besides dropping the tranny.
Or just tell me the truth.

Thanks in advance
Hey Swamped out,
I was having this exact same issue and was able to fix it without dropping the transmission.

It sounds & looks like we are talking about the same switch, the Transfer Indicator Switch, coming out of the top passenger's side of the transfer case. This is the one where your wires are burnt in half? I was able to disconnect the 2-pin plastic connector where the Transfer Indicator Switch plugs into the main wiring harness, and fish the Switch's pigtail up through the gear shift lever hole into the cab. From here I could repair the broken wire. Now 4wd works!

You can also do a few simple tests of the switch & wiring while you're at it.
*The switch is just a simple continuity switch, when the shifter is moved into one of the 4wd modes, the switch should have continuity on your multimeter.
*A simple jumper wire between the two pins on the factory harness side of the plastic connector should make your 4wd light come on. If not, then you'll know there's an issue with the bulb, or the wiring to it.

It sounds like you have the 5 speed manual transmission? The one they call R150F. I was able to get lots more information searching "R150F transfer case" than, say, "T100 transfer case", as our same transmission is in other vehicles too.

Hope this helps/makes sense

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info!
The bad news for me is the burnt wire is between the switch and the connector.
Im going to see if i can get in there with a swivel attachment.
Do you think im going to drop any oil if I do manage to pull that switch?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The switch may be perfectly fine, you should continuity test it.
If the broken wire is the only issue, you could fix it with a heat shrink butt connector. Access thru the shift lever hole in the floor. Much easier and cheaper than pulling the switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt think about going from the top. Good idea.
Im sure its the wires, not the switch. Hopefully I can get to it.
Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was cruising youtube and found a different type of fix if i cant get it soldered.
I can pull the electrical connectors off the vsvs and wire in my own switch. Anyone have an electrical diagram for these? Im assuming its power and ground because theres only 2 wires

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
What are the wire colors? ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
20191029_164309.jpg

What i think is W/B is ground. Bl and Red wires are coming from a 4x4 relay. This relay switches power based on 3(?) Signals from indicators.
So Im thinking I can wire 12v ignition powered switch straight to the Vsvs and ground the WB side straight to the body? Bypassing all the switches and the relay.
How dumb does that sound?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts