Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone attempted to wire a power inverter from within the cabin to the battery?

i'm thinking of installing a 1000w inverter underneath the driver's seat and connect it to the main battery. wondering how anyone has done this.

where did you lay the wire through? how'd you manage to lay it from within the cabin into the engine compartment, etc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Take a look at this thread I started on installing a head unit in the HL:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294263

Specifically, refer to the bottom of my first post, and the top of my 2nd post. I installed a small subwoofer under my driver's seat and my post describes 2 ways of running your wire from under the driver's seat to the passenger footwell, where you will find an access point through the firewall into the engine compartment.

Cheers.

·
Banned
473 Posts
1000 watt inverter...?

Planning on running a microwave oven?

That's ~100 amps from the battery at full inverter loading.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
possibly. i have the tow prep package so it comes with a 150amp alternator.

i'll look into that other post and see some clues as to how to lay the wiring in.

but no one has done this? surprised.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a Vector 1000W inverter waiting to be installed. Ive already got my Optima installed and just have to make some time and get the inverter installed. I had it in my truck and took it out when I sold it. Only thing I can tell you is to get 0ga wire and a nice fuse or breaker. Fuse or breaker according to the max load the wire can handle, this varies by length and ga of wire and of course the quality. If you're planning on installing it under a seat, Id say you need atleast 12ft of wire for ground and power. Remember to run the wire seperate from each other (Opposite sides of the car) to avoid any issues with them rubbing on each other or noise. Should be easy to install once you have the panels off and you've found the grommet from inside to the engine bay.

·
Registered
08 Highlander LMT
76 Posts
I have a Vector 1000W inverter waiting to be installed. Ive already got my Optima installed and just have to make some time and get the inverter installed. I had it in my truck and took it out when I sold it. Only thing I can tell you is to get 0ga wire and a nice fuse or breaker. Fuse or breaker according to the max load the wire can handle, this varies by length and ga of wire and of course the quality. If you're planning on installing it under a seat, Id say you need atleast 12ft of wire for ground and power. Remember to run the wire seperate from each other (Opposite sides of the car) to avoid any issues with them rubbing on each other or noise. Should be easy to install once you have the panels off and you've found the grommet from inside to the engine bay.
Can you provide model # and pictures of your Optima battery? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
opposite sides of the car huh? wouldn't getting wires with good shielding be enough?

do you suggest running on opposite ends until one gets to the grommet that leads from the firewall into the engine compartment? seems like it's pointless if the wires still have to come together at the grommet still.

thoughts?

btw, why'd you get the optima battery and not stick with the stock?

·
Registered
453 Posts
on my truck I ran the positive wire along the drivers side and straight to the battery. the negative went along the passenger side and through another grommet on that side. they never met since I bolted it down on the frame. I guess you could run them along the same side but being 0ga the panels might not fit properly any more. I went with the optima because I've used them for years and never had a problem. I took the battery out of my truck and swapped in the stock HL battery into that. it currently sits too low since I threw away the base for it when I had it on the truck, but im currently looking for it on fleebay or CL. I had to modify the hold down bolt a bit for it to work but its on tight and won't go anywhere. I'll post some pics once I pick it up from the dealer....its in for some work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, interesting. i'll have to find the other grommet that leads into the engine compartment then. any clues as to where it's located on the passenger side?

btw, do you have some sort of documentation that shows how and where to remove the paneling without breaking any brackets or some such?

also, did you find a nice spot for the ground wire in the engine compartment? perhaps a bolt on/near the strut tower?

this is fascinating stuff. i've never bothered with any modding on a vehicle besides my motorcycles. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Im not sure if the HL does have another grommet on the passenger side. I know my truck (05 Silverado) did have one though. I dont have any documentation on panel removal but its pretty easy since you wont be removing any door panels. You will most likely just have to remove the door sills and maybe the lower portion of the pillar. Just start at a corner of a peice and try to pull up on it. Once you pop off a clip, you can just bend the plastic panel to see where the other clip is at and pull from there. As far as a good spot to ground, Id say a motor mount or accesory braket bolt would be best. Again, I cant specify which one because I havent installed the inverter yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts