Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 97 corolla DX plus and few days ago i tried to swap the stock stereo for a BOSS 835UI stereo. Once i was done, the new stereo worked for only 2 minutes and then it started smoking and eventually stopped working. I want to make sure before i put in the new stereo that i am connecting the right wires. Here is the wiring harness that i made for the stereo:

Stereo wiring diagram------------Corolla's wiring harness

Yellow (Constant 12 volts) <> Blue/Yellow (Radio Constant 12V+)
Blue (Power Antenna/Remote Turn on) <> Green (Radio Illumination Wire)
Red (Ignition ACC) <> Gray (Radio Switched 12V+)
Black (Ground) <> Brown (Ground)

Wires for speakers were very straight forward so those were not a problem. Except, there is White/Green wire which was connected in stock stereo with rear speaker's connector. What is this wire for?

There is one more problem, whenever i press the brake, interior lights come on with the brake lights and at night whenever i turn on the interior lights, brake lights stay on with them as well. As far as i know this is a ground problem but i need to know how can i resolve this issue? Is there a possibility that this problem might have caused the new stereo to smoke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why are you connecting the remote turn on wire to the illumination wire? That in itself is a big NO NO! You should never apply a voltage to the remote wire since it is an output. It is only necessary when you need to power a motorized/amplified antenna line or to an external amplifier.

·
First Responder
2009 Tacoma
208 Posts
Why are you connecting the remote turn on wire to the illumination wire? That in itself is a big NO NO! You should never apply a voltage to the remote wire since it is an output. It is only necessary when you need to power a motorized/amplified antenna line or to an external amplifier.
This was the first problem I noticed... NEVER hook up the illumintion wires. I was an installer for man years and never connected a single illumination wire. you cant trust those. And if your going to connect it, then it must go to the illumination trigger on the deck, not the amp turn on wire. If the brake light problem started right after the deck blew, im pretty sure you fried a circuit in your car. If the problem has been going on, well then that needs to be trouble shooted by a tech. Plan on spending some $$ to get that fixed. Sorry for the bad new. Good Luck though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies. Turns out a bad socket was causing the interior lights to come on with brake lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts