Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Tundra/Ram/Buick PA
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, everyone's favorite subject... the dreaded electrical 'anything' question. New headlights and bulbs in place for normal driving around town stuff but now I'm adding lights for those pitch black highways in the Southwest and throughout Texas. I'll driven those highways all my life with the help of extra lighting. One of those drivers was from El Paso to Temple Texas after work on a Friday to see my Dad as he was undergoing cancer treatment at Scott & White. It was two or three o'clock in the morning, moonless overcast, light rain, and Whitetail Deer everywhere you looked. It would have been a nightmare of a drive without the extra lighting.

The Tundra's factory driving lights on the bumper only come on with the low beams... no problem. I saved the brand new Hella Black Magic 500's from my Ram that were behind the grill but that's not an option with the Tundra. For the Tundra, I'm putting them on a new Bull-Bar that was ordered along with a new rear bumper assembly. Ordered I also ordered and have the Hella install wiring kit, as well as, an extra Toyota fog light switch that will go where traction control switch for the 4x4 models goes. I want the Hella's to come on with the high-beams if the switch is turned on. The only time that I want the Hella lights to come on is when the high-beams are on. Just like the only time the factory lights on the bumper come on is with the low-beams.

Okay, my question....

Where is a clean place to tap into the high-beam circuit? There will be no load going to the lights for the Hella's from this tap since the wiring harness has it's own relays and power directly to the battery. The tap would be just the trigger for the relays within the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help, David

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,400 Posts
Personally with any extra non-OEM wiring for lighting, I would make it simple and just use signal from the ACC wire to activate the lights which would be connected directly to the battery. Otherwise all I can say is get yourself a electrical wiring diagram and start tracing stuff out. An EWD can answer nearly all of your questions, the hard part is whether or not you need to create your own wiring harness.

With how my fog lights on my 08 Camry are, they need signal from the ACC wire and the switch ON to be powered on. If the ACC is KEY OFF, my lights are off. If the ACC is KEY ON, my lights will turn on automatically as long as the switch is ON.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Looking back at it now, for your situation you would want to wire to the high beam circuit. Where that is I would not know without the electrical wiring diagram.

·
Registered
Tundra/Ram/Buick PA
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look around the Storage Depot unit and see if I can find my Chilton's manual. I think it's in the bottom of my stand-up toolbox. Hope once we're in the new house in El Paso, I can keep the toolbox at home instead of across town inside a storage unit.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I'll look around the Storage Depot unit and see if I can find my Chilton's manual. I think it's in the bottom of my stand-up toolbox. Hope once we're in the new house in El Paso, I can keep the toolbox at home instead of across town inside a storage unit.
I'm not too sure how well the Chilton is or how much Toyota update's their old EWD's on TIS but I always found Toyota TIS's EWD's to be easy to understand.

(Not related to your vehicle (2008+)) This diagram is a bit too simple but a lot of the diagram's I look at are like this. The colors are easy to see, the connector pins are there, the component is there, the ground is there, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts