Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I recently bought a Highlander platinum Hybrid 2021 and want to add an OFFROADTOWN 6 gang switch to add lights, etc, but I don't know where is safe to get the wires through, is my first hybrid Toyota, and don't want to mess anything up. I appreciate any comments and help to achieve this project. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are two rubber ports, 3-4" in diameter on either side of the firewall. Both have two nipples and a central wire feed.

You can see one pretty easily from the engine bay on the passenger side, the one on the driver side is obscured by a bunch of hood-level plastic/metal.

The passenger side one has the cabin air filter mech right behind it, while the driver's side one is impossible to reach from the engine bay without dismantling that plastic/metal structure in front of it.

If you figure something out, post up because I'd like to install a front cam on my xle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This thread has a picture from another model (though looks similar in the highlander) as well as another option - a floor grommet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two rubber ports, 3-4" in diameter on either side of the firewall. Both have two nipples and a central wire feed.

You can see one pretty easily from the engine bay on the passenger side, the one on the driver side is obscured by a bunch of hood-level plastic/metal.

The passenger side one has the cabin air filter mech right behind it, while the driver's side one is impossible to reach from the engine bay without dismantling that plastic/metal structure in front of it.

If you figure something out, post up because I'd like to install a front cam on my xle.

Thanks for your reply CC_HH, I am going to try the passenger side or look for the grommet in the driver's side, I will post whatever happens, regarding the front cam, I purchased the Garmin mini 2 with an adapter to connect the cam directly to the rearview mirror assembly. Check the following videos, hope they will help, and again, thanks for your help.
To remove the cover of rearview mirror:
To install cam in fuse panel under dash:
To install Garmin mini in rearview mirror:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for your reply CC_HH, I am going to try the passenger side or look for the grommet in the driver's side, I will post whatever happens, regarding the front cam, I purchased the Garmin mini 2 with an adapter to connect the cam directly to the rearview mirror assembly. Check the following videos, hope they will help, and again, thanks for your help.
To remove the cover of rearview mirror:
To install cam in fuse panel under dash:
To install Garmin mini in rearview mirror:
I've got a dash cam I worked out :) what I'm looking to do is put a cam in the grill - I have a cheap one from Amazon from my last car that should work well with my aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear that! Now you can route the wires through the grommet on the driver's side, just be careful not to puncture the OEM wires in the middle, good 🤞

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I recently bought a Highlander platinum Hybrid 2021 and want to add an OFFROADTOWN 6 gang switch to add lights, etc, but I don't know where is safe to get the wires through, is my first hybrid Toyota, and don't want to mess anything up. I appreciate any comments and help to achieve this project. Thanks for reading.
May i ask how much did u pay for? And is it NEW or USED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 2021 Highlander Hybrid Platinum, got it for $55k, including taxes in MD, great SUV! This is my 3rd Toyota, and 2nd Highlander, the previous one was a has model, thank God, no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts