Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, on a familiar section of highway near my home, I was just cruising along with dynamic cruise control set at 64MPH, 3 bar distance setting, and my car braked quite heavily for no apparent reason. I had to quickly disengage cruise control to get the car to stop braking. Fortunately there was no one behind me. Very disconcerting. 2 days later, the same thing happened a the very same spot in the highway, but this time I was ready in case it happened again. This is quite baffling to me. I have 14,300 miles on this car. I have never experienced this anomaly ever, on any other highway in any other state. I have attached a video clip for from my dash cam and a screenshot (my dashcam clock is off, the time approx 1:15PM) of where it happened, 2 times in the same spot on 2 different days. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to report this to Toyota?

Youtube link to the video:

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Car

·
Registered
16 Posts
Possibly an EMC issue, there are some high rise power lines right there.

How much of a slowdown are we talking about? You are approaching a curve, they do slow the vehicle with cruise enabled for turns.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,438 Posts
Maybe as the lines are faded / hard to detect, the white house was registered as a vehicle. AI does NOT mean smart. It means something that has a set of parameters matched.

Since it is reproducible, let Toyota know. Maybe they will come out and figure it out.

I assume (I know) your sensors are nice and clean, right?

It is odd, yet reproducible, behavior so who knows.

Maybe go to the dealer, and show them. Let them verify. Let corporate get involved.

It is likely something fixable in this case.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,164 Posts
Does it also do the same in the middle and/or right lane?
I'm thinking it might have to do with that crack across the road, or possibly something to do with the gore point on the opposing left turn lane.
Moving to the #2 lane would remove the median geometry from the situation.
If it did it twice in the same spot, it's definitely "seeing" something that it doesn't like.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,164 Posts
Maybe as the lines are faded / hard to detect, the white house was registered as a vehicle.
I wasn't even looking that far ahead, but that is a good observation and very well might be the cause.
With the garage/shed off to the right of the roof, it does throw an odd profile that AI could interpret as a vehicle, and the size is not far off from the vehicle in the next lane.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly an EMC issue, there are some high rise power lines right there.

How much of a slowdown are we talking about? You are approaching a curve, they do slow the vehicle with cruise enabled for turns.
I am not sure how long it would have braked if I did not tap the brake pedal to disengage. But it was down to the low 50's. The 2nd time it happened I just disengaged from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe as the lines are faded / hard to detect, the white house was registered as a vehicle. AI does NOT mean smart. It means something that has a set of parameters matched.

Since it is reproducible, let Toyota know. Maybe they will come out and figure it out.

I assume (I know) your sensors are nice and clean, right?

It is odd, yet reproducible, behavior so who knows.

Maybe go to the dealer, and show them. Let them verify. Let corporate get involved.

It is likely something fixable in this case.
Yes. I keep my sensors clean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well if it is doing it at the same place - it suggests there isn't anything intermittently wrong with the system and thats a good thing. There appears to be something in that spot that is artificially tripping the collision avoidance system. Definitely talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
....the white house was registered as a vehicle.....
I suspect this might be a significant factor. OP should travel in the opposite direction and see if this still happens. If it does then that would rule out the house theory and would suggest a possible EMI issue.

·
Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,250 Posts
Another thing I noticed is the car turning into the gas station is directly in front of the HL which may have been a contributing factor. Doesn't explain it happening the second time unless the same thing happened then as well.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
625 Posts
Recently, on a familiar section of highway near my home, I was just cruising along with dynamic cruise control set at 64MPH, 3 bar distance setting, and my car braked quite heavily for no apparent reason. I had to quickly disengage cruise control to get the car to stop braking. Fortunately there was no one behind me. Very disconcerting. 2 days later, the same thing happened a the very same spot in the highway, but this time I was ready in case it happened again. This is quite baffling to me. I have 14,300 miles on this car. I have never experienced this anomaly ever, on any other highway in any other state. I have attached a video clip for from my dash cam and a screenshot (my dashcam clock is off, the time approx 1:15PM) of where it happened, 2 times in the same spot on 2 different days. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to report this to Toyota?
The lines are likely confusing to the system that it either thinks you are going to drive into car beside you or drive into the island on the other side. I am sure if the city repainted the lines properly the dynamic cruse control wouldn't panic.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,164 Posts
Where are these sensors that need cleaning?
Radar sensor behind the "T" logo on the grille, and the TSS camera at the top center of the windshield. Wipers/washers will generally keep the glass clear in front of the camera.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
The deceleration isn't based on lines or anything optical. Pre-Collisions with Pedestrian Detection does use the camera in part, but if it was PCS acting, you'd get an even harder brake and the beeping to go with it. I think It has to be something the radar sensor is picking up as the car approaching a possible obstruction.

The white house is way too far away for that, and I think the gas station is too.

My best guess is that maybe the car in the right lane is registering somehow because the road is curving to the left. Since it's just ahead of the Highlander, and starting to move into the "lane" of the Highlander from right to left, that might have something to do with it. The system may be thinking that the car is cutting into your lane.

Another possibility but may be less likely is that it's picking up on that "One Way" sign in the center median and believing that's an obstruction of some sort. It's a little bigger than the average sign with two posts, and you're coming at it from the side instead of head-on.

The Owners Manual goes on for pages and pages about strange things happening on curves, which makes sense because the car doesn't know the road is curving - it only sees objects in front of it that could be a hazard if you kept going straight. I believe the system is able to pick up on movements of the steering wheel to help decide if you're really heading toward the object or not, but this curve looks gradual enough to only take a slight turn of the wheel to maneuver.

Since it can be reproduced it would be interesting to talk to the dealer and share all this, and maybe it can be escalated to someone at Toyota who can figure out what's going on. They may not be able to change it on your car, but it should certainly be input for a future version of TSS.

It would be a good experiment to see if the same thing happens while there is no other traffic around (maybe easier said than done, I know), or else if it happens in the right lane (get the signs in the median farther away).

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
639 Posts
Was the windshield ever damaged and replaced? If so the camera mechanism may not have been properly recalibrtated after replacement.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla LE - Celestite (1K3) / Black (FB20)
204 Posts
Our vehicle brakes pretty noticeably when going down hill with radar cruise control activated. I have also noticed that the system gets confused when you cross over perpendicular lines. You can see a noticeable line across the road and its on a downhill.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The deceleration isn't based on lines or anything optical...
Not true. The "Curve Speed Reduction" function is totally dependent on optics.

The white house is way too far away for that, and I think the gas station is too.
The house itself, maybe. However, as part of the white "blob" in the distance directly ahead, there is a row of U-Haul trailers that is closer to the vehicle. But, after watching the video again, I agree these are probably too far away but wouldn't rule them out completely.

My best guess is that maybe the car in the right lane is registering somehow because the road is curving to the left. Since it's just ahead of the Highlander, and starting to move into the "lane" of the Highlander from right to left, that might have something to do with it. The system may be thinking that the car is cutting into your lane.
He said this has happened before. Was it with another car beside him? Maybe...Maybe not.. I've been using an adaptive cruise control since 2003 and I've never seen a car in the next lane affect it. There's always a first time but I think there is something else going on here.

The Owners Manual goes on for pages and pages about strange things happening on curves, which makes sense because the car doesn't know the road is curving....
The car does know the road is curving (via optics). The only thing the cruise control does with this information is slow down based on the "Curve speed reduction" setting. Hmmmm.... (EDIT: the cruise control uses the camera heavily in detecting the conditions ahead See post #21 below)

Brassboy77, turn the "Curve Speed reduction" setting to "OFF" (pg ~539 in OM) and repeat the drive before you take it to the dealer. The default setting is "high" strength. And I don't think anyone mentioned it here yet, but you CAN turn off the adaptive function and make it work like a conventional cruise control.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another thing I noticed is the car turning into the gas station is directly in front of the HL which may have been a contributing factor. Doesn't explain it happening the second time unless the same thing happened then as well.
Well I wouldn't rule out the possibility but I think, like the house in the distance, that it is just a tad too far away.

·
Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,250 Posts
Well I wouldn't rule out the possibility but I think, like the house in the distance, that it is just a tad too far away.
Distances can be deceiving on dash cam videos (I happen to have the same brand as the OP) since most have pretty wide angles lenses. In watching the video again it looks like there are 5 or maybe 6 lane marker stripes between the OP's car and the one turning into the gas station.

The standard rural spacing for lane markings is 10 foot stripes spaced 30 feet apart so we're only talking about 200 feet.. I know my GMC will recognize the presence of a vehicle that far away, can't be sure about the HL

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,165 Posts

Youtube link to the video:

View attachment 348766
Don't keep it on the far setting. I always keep it on the one notch. It picked up that car turning and you coming up to it at a fast rate. That is normal behavior. I've had that happen on other brands too in a turn.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts