Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
none yet
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it wasn't serious... just wondering what you do...

Never really thought about it as it hasn't happened to me in which I see it almost up close.

I was walking my dog and it's wet out and at night... just before 9pm... I am waiting at a light and it's red and there's a vehicle that looks like one of those old Chevy Blazers stopped at the red light. Some dufus in a Corolla is going too fast and can't stop in time and rams right into the back of the other vehicle. The Corolla's hood folds up and the car looked like in bad shape. The 'Blazer' vehicle drives forward a bit and then turns right and drives down the road a bit and pulls over to the curb and then eventually into a driveway of a school. The lights turn green and I wait to see what the driver of the Corolla will do and he turns right even though it's the pedestrian's right of way. I wait until he turns and watch the driver pull up behind the other driver and they both turn into the driveway.

I did keep walking but is it standard practice to do this? I mean, for a witness to the accident? Should I have gone over there? I thought it is between those two but I have had someone drive into me a few years ago and it was their fault 100%. They gave my their contact info and assured me they'd pay damages so not to involve insurance companies. But, they ultimately avoided my calls and totally disappeared. I thought I would look on the bright side and figure it's better than insurance costs increasing because of it and the other driver was a jerk but I should have expected that response.

I don't know the Corolla driver but I walked back and they were gone so I can only assume they traded info but it sounds like it's up to the drivers if they both decide on a course of action but one could easily just disappear?

Anyway, that is my story tonight. I was just curious what you would do and if you have had any kind of similar experience. :)

·
Registered
none yet
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. Your supposed to stay. Not like anyone much does that. I would stay only if it were serious. Or if there was question as to who was at fault.
I figured that. I agree. I would have stayed but then they both moved their cars. Also, I don't think they stayed long. I was on my way to a nearby variety store and when I walked back (one block away), they were gone.

It wasn't a serious crash... but, I guess I should have walked over there to say I saw it?

Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
I don't think there is a legal requirement to stay, but I have in the past stuck around where they called 911, and in fender benders I've given my name and number to the driver who was not at fault and let them know that I have their back if they need it (I'm not waiting 45 minutes to an hour or more for the normally slow non-injury response). The ones I've seen have always had a clear at fault driver...be it a rear ender like yours or a red light runner.

I do it as a karma type thing...I'd like to know someone down the line will witness for me to keep some douche bag from screwing me and if I'm not helping someone now, what hope do I have later!

·
Registered
none yet
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there is a legal requirement to stay, but I have in the past stuck around where they called 911, and in fender benders I've given my name and number to the driver who was not at fault and let them know that I have their back if they need it (I'm not waiting 45 minutes to an hour or more for the normally slow non-injury response). The ones I've seen have always had a clear at fault driver...be it a rear ender like yours or a red light runner.

I do it as a karma type thing...I'd like to know someone down the line will witness for me to keep some douche bag from screwing me and if I'm not helping someone now, what hope do I have later!
You're right. I was thinking about it and I figured I should have went over there and said, 'is everyone all right? I saw what happened' or something along those lines.

At the very least, I could have the driver's back who was just sitting at the light who did nothing wrong.

I know better for next time if there is one but I hope that person doesn't get ripped off and I hope I don't get punished for not going over there.... :confused:

·
Registered
1999 Solara SE V6
99 Posts
When my last car was totaled, I had 3 witnesses (behind the guy who turned in front of me) stick around when the cops showed up, so I'll return the favor when it happens.

·
Say no to Cobalts
2007 Camry SE
53 Posts
Something similar happened to me in Boston. I saw a hit and run. I didn't stay though because I was in a company truck, three lanes away and didn't see anything outside of the make and model of the car that dipped. I wouldn't have helped at all by staying and the car that got hit was driveable, so what else could I have done?

In your case, I don't blame you. A rear end collision is very easy to figure out...no question of who's at fault. Unless you got the plate number of the Corolla, you couldn't do any more than you already did. I don't blame you

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the whole issue of someone promising to pay then ditching your calls later, it happened to my mother many years ago. Some kid hit her while she was picking me up at pre-school or something. He whined and begged her not to call insurance and just said if she called his dad he'd take care of it. I guess dad was not a very stand-up guy, and when she called the only response was 'Accident? What accident? Wrong number, nobody in this house was in an accident.' I've had a couple other family members run into the same situation.

To this day I don't care if you tapped me on the bumper doing .05 mph, damage APPEARS minor or unnoticable, and nobody APPEARS injured... there will be a police report and I will get all your info. Once I have that stuff, if we come to a decision to handle it without further involving the companies and filing claims that's OK.

As for staying to be a witness, you have to take various things into consideration. Scene safety is number one. How do you feel about the area you're in, the demeanor of those involved in the accident, and who else is around. You never know when a minor fender bender can erupt into a shouting match or worse, something you don't want any part of.

If I feel it's safe to do so and there doesn't seem to be anybody around to lend assistance, I may approach the drivers to at least see that nobody's so seriously injured that they can't dial 911 on their own. If it looks like the person who caused it was particularly negilgent and it was so bad I want to make sure they know someone is ready to testify to it, I will, and actually have, stuck around long enough to introduce myself to the other involved party and/or the police officer. One night I watched a full sized conversion van blow through a red right-turn arrow and nail an Eclipse that was proceeding straight on green. I left my number with the cop and other party and as I left I heard "You have HOW many DUI's? Your license has been suspended for HOW long?? What have you had tonight??!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts