Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 SR5 manual transmission - 260K km

got back from moose hunting (100km of rough bush road took 4 hrs - never above 3rd gear)

when I got back out on the main highway it started wobbling back & forth @80km/hr whenever I hit uneven road - couldn't control it
had to drive home slowly
mechanic has fixed broken sway bar links, front sway bar bushings, all 4 shocks, gas tank strap & gas tank kick plate suspenders
at highway speeds still starts to rock back & forth - have to slow down & keep both hands on the wheel - getting sea sick

when stationary, if you push the drivers side rear end, you get the front end to come out the opposite amount - 4-6" easily
mechanic looked over the entire frame & suspension and can't see anything broken
what are we missing?

mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he replaced the body mount
took for test drive & still wobbles at highway speeds if you give the wheel a jerk or hit uneven pavement
put on different tires/rims from another Toyota & now rides normally
I have Michelin SUV 16" standard tires that were new in Apr 2016 - have winter tires/rims
so only 5-10k km on them
sidewalls seems very weak - you can rock the truck 3-6" pushing sideways on the rear end & it just seems to be play in the tires
heading back to Costco to talk about the tires - mechanic putting my winters on
not sure they are going to believe me - anyone else experienced this?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,561 Posts
Check the steering rag joint... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am resurrecting this to see if anyone has something new I can look at

the problem is still there with the winter tires, just a lot better than the summers
seems worse if i have a passenger

it feels like i have no shocks, just springs, and once the bouncing starts i have to slow down to make it stop, it sets up a resonance that just keeps increasing
have to be 50mph or better for it to get bad enough that i am worried about keeping the truck under control

we can't see anything on the hoist that is broken

is there any way you could replace the shocks and not see something broken that would have them disconnected from the frame?
something has to be broken, because it was fine before the hunting trip
just don't know where to look closer?

mark

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,561 Posts
How good are the rear link bushings? ;)

What shocks are installed now? Make/model? ;)

Are the rear springs OEM or aftermarket? If they are OEM, are they the original? Do you have the typical 4Runner rear squat? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know the answer to the 1st 2
but, the springs are original
no rear squat that I can see

mark

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
So, no problems then went on rough road and it started?
Perfect before trip, bad after trip?
Were all those parts replaced before or, after problem?
Something must have broken on the rough road!
What about the rear panhard bar and all associated with it?

Frame rusted? Maybe broken and mechanic is not seeing where.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, no problems at all before rough road
all parts replaced after problem
mechanic has been over it multiple times, just can't see what is broken up on the hoist

mark

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
520 Posts
Did you ever check the original wheel/tire combination for bent wheel, or tires with thrown belt / out of round? Ever since I found I had 3 (!) bent wheels on a shakey car I owned, have been skeptical about tire guys paying attention, or doing any checking for bent wheels.

Since changing wheel/tire combination made things better, but still imperfect, it may be that original wheels very bent / bad belts, and replacement wheels/tires, not-as-bent/bad, but still wonky.
Put on lift, place solid stable pointer close to tire rim, spin tire, see/hear results; ditto for each tire.

? Caked mud somewhere ?; ever steam clean the undercarriage?

No offense to your obviously trusted mechanic, but, sounds like you need a fresh set of eyes looking at your vehicle.

Best of luck !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
remember, this problem only shows up at speed (>50mi/hr) and you hit a bump (or depression) in the road that starts the oscillation
at that point it is like you have hit the resonant frequency and the oscillation increases to the point where you can barely keep control
slowing down stops the oscillation
it happened once with my wife in the passenger seat with the winter tires/rims - very short, maybe 5-10s - not runaway like the summer tires/rims
maybe the extra weight on the passenger side contributed to it
this is not a vibration - the entire cab is moving up/down 3-6in in a wave pattern end-to-end, side-to-side - I start getting seasick!!

I don't think it can be rims out of round - I would feel this at any speed, worse at higher speeds

I had the undercarriage rust proofed (Krown) after the winter tires were on - they power washed it

mark

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
520 Posts
My bad, didn't realize the truck had a harmonic vibration of entire body.
But, if it's a harmonic vibration, wouldn't you think it had something to do with the Springs, and, if that were the case, the dampers (shocks) had failed? Ooops, my bad, in your original post, you said: "...mechanic has fixed broken sway bar links, front sway bar bushings, all 4 shocks, gas tank strap &..."

Have you considered Exorcism ?

/

·
Registered
111 Posts
its like death wobble on solid front axle vehicles, it seems.

I know on jeeps, when you have a problem like this, the two main things that cause it are a bad steering stabilizer and alignment being off. since there are ifs (they are, right?), than there is no steering stabilizer so maybe the alignment got knocked out and its causing the problem?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,561 Posts
lots of rust!!

mark
Have you carefully inspected the frame fer any rusted issues? There stands a good possibility that maybe the crossover beam(s) may be compromised and yer mechanic just isn't finding/seeing it? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you carefully inspected the frame fer any rusted issues? There stands a good possibility that maybe the crossover beam(s) may be compromised and yer mechanic just isn't finding/seeing it? ;)
we've both been over it with flashlights when up on the hoist
if they are compromised, we haven't seen it yet

the 1 thing I have noticed - with the winter tires if I try to rock it by pushing on the rear above the gas filler I get very little movement
when the summers were on, we could get quite a bit of movement - looked like it was all in the tires - that's when we swapped tires/rims and found the problem was virtually gone

mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can someone please explain how my suspension is supposed to work?
and what should be dampening this oscillation?
maybe if I know what isn't doing it's job, I can focus my attention there

mark

1 - 20 of 35 Posts