Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
Inspected it on the hoist? What kind of hoist was it on? How was the rear axle supported? If the rear axle droops while on the hoist, you will not be able to inspect the condition/geometry of the rear suspension in the same manner as if you were traveling down the road. ;)

Do you have any sort of lift kit installed? If so, was the rear suspension geometry adjusted accordingly? Reading over the thread I linked above, there seems to be a lot of issues similar to what yer experiencing when the geometry is not correct. Snap some piccies of the rear sway bar and panhard bar and post them please. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
Video on how the proper geometry of the panhard bar affects the rear axle sway. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
my mechanic is leery of the urethane bushings - squeaking
whiteline supplies grease to alleviate that
I have already sunk $3500 into this & some other problems since the rough road trip in Oct for my 1999
I am definitely looking for the cheapest solution to get rid of the wobble
not sure that replacing the panhard & trailing arm bushings will solve the problem, other bushings may be worn i.e. upper control arm

thoughts?

mark

Toyota replacement prices from mechanic:
lower arm bushings $77x4 (or replacement @$359 ea)
panhard $504
upper arm $282x2

I can get the panhard & lower control arm bushings for CDN$188

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
Some of those trailing arm bushings are blown out and are toast. Are you sure yer mechanic inspected those? Those fasteners don't even look like they were touched. I have found that motor oil and transmission fluid will degrade those bushings over time. My rack and pinion rubber bushings were completely soft and degraded. I ended up modifying some universal polyurethane bushings to fit in my rack and pinion. Now I don't have to worry about those bushings failing at all. ;)

If installed correctly and maintained, polyurethane bushings will usually outperform the OEM rubber bushings. ;)

Completely replacing the control arms and the panhard bar might be a better choice as it's pretty simple if you have the basic tools to work with. ;)

Lower arm replacement

Rock Auto has some aftermarket arms pretty cheap. ;)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1999,4runner,3.4l+v6,1357455,suspension,control+arm,10401

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
thanks
ordered the 4 arms from rockauto
ordered bushings for the panhard bar
mechanic is getting new bolts
hopefully all this will fix the 'death' wobble

mark

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
When you replace the parts, snap some piccies of the bushings. I'm curious how bad they are. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
I meant after you pull the old parts off and put the new parts in. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i had finally had time to drop it off at my mechanic

death wobble seems to be fixed (upper & lower rear control arms, new bushings in panhard)

mark

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,562 Posts
If you got a chance to snap some piccies of the old parts, could you post them so others can git an idea of what they will look like? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
sorry, when i got there it was late in the day & i didn't think about it
mechanic did say the front end of the lower control arms didn't have any bushings left
the only pics i have are the ones posted earlier

mark

21 - 35 of 35 Posts