Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67k mile Corolla. Womp, womp, womp sound while braking only at low speeds (aproximately 5-15mph) after the vehicle has been driven/ is hot. No womp sound present the first 15-30 minutes of driving/braking while cold. Clearly, something is expanding with heat and creating the sound.

Help meee...
1. Hooked up a digital recorder above each wheel and sound is coming from front left/driver side.
2. Needed tires anyway so I replaced all four. Womp sound present before and after tire change.
3. Front left/driver rotor thickness is 20.41mm and has been turned. Discard thickness is 19mm.
4. Caliper pins/guides have been cleaned and lubed. Everything moves easily.
5. Replaced front left/driver brake hose in case it was collapsing internally when hot.
5. New brake pads.
6. Brakes straight, does not curve left or right.
7. Caliper compresses easily.
I'll check hub runout tomorrow if I have time.

Any ideas? Rotors are cheap/ to thin? Bad hub? Bad wheel bearing?

Thanks guys

·
2,632 Posts
Hub or CV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! I didn't know the CV could cause this, I'll look at it more closely when I check the hub runout. Will post back my results and let everyone know when the issue is resolved.

·
2,632 Posts
I have had 3 Corollas... a 98 with over 100k miles, a 2012 with 30k miles, and now a 2013 with 55k miles... all of them made a womp - womp sound from the front wheels, especially when turning slightly while driving

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you telling me I should just get use to it lol>:D

Hub runout was .001 so I think the hub is good. Rotor runout was huge, with lugnuts torqued to 76 ft lb the runout was 25. The passenger side rotor runout was 30!

Small pinhole in the CV boot has caused some grease to leak out. Attached is a photo of the CV boot.

Can a bad CV cause rotor runout? What causes rotor runout besides overly torqued lugnuts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that the womp, womp, womp sound was due to rotor runout also known as warped rotors. And it is now gone and has stayed gone for 2000+ miles!

I disassembled the brakes for the 3rd time and noticed that the recently replaced pads were chipping. At this point, I had already replaced the brake pads and had the rotors turned twice with the sound returning shortly after. I think I had 1 of 2 problems.... I have never torqued my lug nuts on any vehicle before (bad practice I know) but I have never had it cause any problems that I was aware of, definitely never a womp, womp, womp sound or chipping brake pads. Maybe this vehicle is sensitive to lug not torque and over-torquing them placed to much pressure causing the brakes to crack which then created rotor runout after a few hundred miles. Or maybe my rotors were too weak after I had them turned causing the runout (I doubt it because I don't think a weak rotor would chip brake pads).

Hopefully, this helps someone in the future.

Cheers

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've never had this issue but I've always torqued my lug nuts. Lesson learned for others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts