Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i put a 98 corolla motor in a 2000 corolla both 1.8 after it was in i noticed that the 2000 has a valve in the cyl head on the left side front it looks like it belongs in the valve body in the trans.it seems to read the oil pressure off the timing chain .the 98 motor dont have a the hole in the head for it .and now the motor wont start .both the motors ran when i started .can someone tell me what this valve is and would it stop the motor from starting .i tried with it plug,ed in and just hanging there & not plug,ed in .i also have fuel and spark .any help would be greatly appreciate thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oil control valve

hi i found what its called oil control valve the 2000 has it and the 98 don't i'm getting code p1656 on a crank does anybody know a way around this problem any ideas would help thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no harness swap

no i didn't i'm going to swap the head the car i got the motor from is long gone .can you tell if the 2000 head will fit on the 98 block i hope so i,m going to take one apart tomorrow any info will be very help full thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still don't start the oil control valve broke when i pulled the motor out i tried to repair the plug .does anybody know if the valve not plugged in will stop the car from starting or just give me a code .thank you for any help you give me

·
Registered
56 Posts
still don't start the oil control valve broke when i pulled the motor out i tried to repair the plug .does anybody know if the valve not plugged in will stop the car from starting or just give me a code .thank you for any help you give me
Regarding the oil control valve... yes, that should be the little valve thingie that actuates the vvti. I don't believe you need it functioning for the car to run. I believe that because we swapped a 2006 motor (bottom end) into my 98 Prizm. you might find this thread useful:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3134975#post3134975

Regarding the motor not starting... does it just spit and splutter but wont run? You might want to take a look at the crank sensor plate between the two motors. They may be different. They were different between the 98 and the '06 for sure.
You might also want to contact the guy who did most of the serious wrenching on my car. He's on this forum under the user ID of "TrackGeeks"..his name is Chris and he's TOP NOTCH mechanic and mechanical engineer. He's a busy dude, but he can certainly provide some insight. If you want to PM me I'll PM one of his e-mail addresses.

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks boxer4luvr thats what it was the plates are different i took it apart and thats what i found i be putting it together tomorrow thanks for the answer :clap:
Excellent!! :thumbsup:
You're very welcome. :welcome:
Keep us posted on how things go with this. The heads matched up fine, right?
Also interesting to me was the fact that your '98 motor didn't have the casting for the oil control valve.. mine had the casting there but it wasn't milled out. I wonder what the manufacture date is on two motors? Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys here it is the 98 corolla head is different from the 2000 corolla i put 2000 head on the 98 motor everything was the same ,the crank sensor pickup plate was different also ,so the basic block is the same as long as you use all the sensors and pickups from the car the motor is going in ,the car runs great .and also i tried and tried to find everywhere if the motor would run without the oil control valve plug,ed in and the answer is yes it will you will get a code for the ocv.thanks guys the info i got here it helped ,i just hope this will help someone some day .thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.