Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well it hasn't actually happened yet. Check-in is in 2 hours. And I'm just going to sleep. But I'm wired for tomorrow. Hopefully it goes well. Gotta push it harder this time. Last time it was my first race on these tires. Man do they suck, but it's all I have to work with right now.

It's going to be a great race. Race #6 of the SCCLAC Series. Second to last race of the year. It's going to be at Midway Stadium. So I nice smooth open parking lot :D

I'll post pics in about... 14 hours. So about 7pm(CST). Hopefully Scott can take some good ones. If not, I'll at least have some of other cars.

And I'll make sure and get you the results, however bad they be (with 2 hours of sleep and all).

Can't wait!!!
-Mike

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
good luck...i shall auto X soon as well to see how well i compare to others... :cool:

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Good luck dude.:thumbup:

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
good luck mike :D

i've got an auto-x sunday as well....but i'm too sick to go :( :sosad:

Keri

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry about not posting yesterday. As I wrote before, I was going on only 2 hours of sleep. And a max of 3 hours each night this week. So I ended up coming home, eating something and passing out on the couch. I slept from 7pm yesterday till 9:30am this morning :D

The race was great. We had a turn out of about 65-75 people. Which I guess is small for races at Midway Stadium (My first time racing at this venue). I guess they usually have 100+ people:eek:

The course was about 30 second long. Really small compared to what I was use to in La Crosse ( 70second courses). The course looked like this:

It started out with an optional slalom. The slalom, as you can see, much favored the right side for speed. However you had to brake hard so that you didn't go head on into the caricel(sp?) I took the right side first. It allowed me to come out high and take the first right a little faster and smoother.

The hole course was wide open. I laughed at the Chicago box. The cones were about 15+ feet apart. I was able to take it at 25mph. I would have sworn this was a Corvette Club race :lol: But the instant hard right after it proved a challange for people all day.

Time of the day was 28.8 seconds I believe. Ran by one of the Miatas or the Lotus.
Fastest in STS was an '00 Subaru WRX which ran a 31.6 (I was in STS)

My best time was 33.13. Running my '92 V6 with only a strut brace. Oh, and keep in mind the tread wear rating on my current tires is 740. So Traction somewhat killed my times. But I'm still really happy with my times. Only 4 seconds behind the fastest time of the day. So my lines must have been smooth :)

If you really think your computer has what it takes, here's a page with all the pics on it (130 pictures unsorted, so some may suck).
http://smokingtiresv6.highoctanenetworks.com/midwaypics.html

There were some SWEEET cars there, so if you can, check out the site ^. Otherwise I'll try and post some selective pics later :)

*Oh yeah, Scott took the first 40 or so photos on there. And there are two Camrys on there. Mine is the one with the clear turn signals. Number 157, with the tape "S" :D

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Where are the pics from LaCrosse, bitch?

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Woot, wacky course. Those slalom cones were really offset like that?

Dude, you should seriously invest in a torso belt. It's amazing what you can do when you're not thrown all over the place on turns. Just not having to brace and tense myself on turns netted me an increase in time of around 4 seconds on a 40 second course (we'd run the layout before, so I *did* have some experience with it).

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the slalom really was offset. So it depending on your skill (and pref.), you could benifit from both. It just depended on which you wanted.

brink: Actually, I twisted my belt about 10 times. It was tight enough that I could just barely clip it in. Otherwise I had near no movment. But I'll check it out. I was interested in getting harness and hooking it to the frame. I'll for sure look into that belt :)

And yeah, I thought I would show the tire wear. As you can see, there isn't any visible! Those tires hold up like a mother f*cker! That's why I'm glad I baught them. They'll last me a few years (considering I put on 300miles a week). This Spring I am going to pic up some tries more suited for racing. Something along the lines of a 140 tread wear. But I'll need a second set of rims. "Mike don't run on stealies" :D

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was a sweet run!

:D :lol:

That was a fun run at the end. I didn't let off the gas for one second the whole time. I spent the whole run spinning the tires. You can see how wide I was taking it. And I still ended up running at 34.6 :eek:

My votes for best cars there:

Factory 5 kit with a 305 in it

911 Turbo

Everytime he hit the gas his muffler would scrape the ground :)

'00 Mustang Cobra Drop Top with a 5.0L V8

And of course, the GTI. Which was on 3 wheels around the whole caricel :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts