Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some threads, but nothing that directly answers some of the questions I have.

1. Is there a hard tonneau cover that can be color-matched to our trucks. I worry that since I don't have a "standard" color, that I may have to have it painted.

2. Do all hard tonneau's come with locking mechanisms?

The reason i ask is because I'm being offered a job that transports nuclear equipment and I have to have the equipment secure (so it'll be locked in the bed), but also needs a secondary cover as not to be seen (tonneau).

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks.

I didn't realize hard tonneau covers were fricken expensive! I'll look into it. Thanks again.

·
My Other Truck
4,308 Posts
A.R.E. tonneaus are more costly than some, but their quality (including fit & finish) is second to none. AFAIK, all hard tonneaus come with locks -- and carpeting inside the tonneau to control condensation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That's not a standard color?

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have impulse red pearl exterior...I have found very little accessories that use this color (i have in the radiant red, though).

·
Bomb Squad
11 Posts
I bought my color matched A.R.E. for $750 after $50 off coupon from thier site. I've had it over 2yrs now and really think it is the best. I don't have any carpet in mine. I like the fact when you lock the electric door locks that the cover locks also. The bed seperator and tiedowns work fine with the cover installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The lorider by raider is available in any colour from their factory. just bought one from a shop for $1300 CDN installed and taxes. seems to be pretty good quality from what i saw on the demo... sad part is i have to wait 4-5 weeks for it. hope its worth it

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$750 for color matched is better than a grand. I don't need carpet. This is just needed for "extra security" against theft and wandering eyes.

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
looked at a gaylord cover yet? They're pretty nice, but I'm not sure what they cost.

I've got the bakflip cover... it's technically a hard cover and flips back and rests against the cab if you need to transport large items...

I don't think anybody's tried to paint one tho

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
Hey Tucson, does you cover sit below or on top of the bed rails? I was trying to find some detailed pic but only found general sales pics.

·
My Other Truck
4,308 Posts
mhadden said:
I have impulse red pearl exterior...I have found very little accessories that use this color (i have in the radiant red, though).
Pretty sure A.R.E. -- and likely most others -- color matches all factory colors...

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
It sits flush with the top of the bed... You can't open the cover without opening the tailgate, so for locking, one of those pop lock things works well. I think I paid around 550 bucks for it... very simple install.

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
Great pics, thanks. I'll have to find a dealer hear in AZ and get a price. Did I see latches that lock the lid down once it's completely unfolded? How difficult is it to remove completely, in case of a large load?

Thanks

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
Great pics, thanks. I'll have to find a dealer hear in AZ and get a price. Did I see latches that lock the lid down once it's completely unfolded? How difficult is it to remove completely, in case of a large load?

Thanks
I bought mine from aztrucks.com back when they had free shipping... they're in Mesa or something like that.

Each panel has it's own latch and holds it down on the rail. I haven't removed it before, but the install was a sinch and I did it myself with no problems... the lid weighs probably around 50 pounds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You might check out Undercover tonneaus. There are not color matched (any color you want as long as it is black) but there are lockable, secure and watertight. They usually run about $500-550 if you shop around.

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Definetely check out Gaylord's for their fiberglass lids. I have the X2000 model. They needed my paint code to get an exact match for the paint. Mine has a carpeted underside, domelight and keyless remote entry :naughty: . I got mine thru a customtacos.com groupbuy for $1k. They retail for over $1400.

Here is a link: http://www.gaylordslids.com/x2000.shtml

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
Hey Tucson, did you say you had to open your tailgate in order to open the lid? This would be a good security addition with the pop-n-lock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts