Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a 1985 N/A MR2 for $200.00. The guy says that the oil pump,rear main seal,and connecting rod bearings need to replaced. The body and interior are both in perfect shape and the car was running up to last week. Now what do you think it would cost to get it running again? $500.00? Would it be worth modding the engine to handle more power while I'm in there? What hp does it have now? and what can it handle safely?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
what are you talking about.... good lord... just a bluetop 4age would be like $500 max for a low mileage JDM motor..... lift up the car, drop the motor out, swap out the accessories & the manifolds (if you wanna keep the EGR), and slide it back in... will BOLT right in and work off the stock ecu

i bought my mk1 in quite the opposite shape.... body is fair (few dents) but has rust and NO interior... but awesome running new motor... & i got it for $200

it's a very fun car to play with... but kinda sucks to work on... everything is somewhat difficult to get at.... fun to work on at the same time since it's not my daily driver:

motor when i bought it:

not gonna get into it, but previous owner put new motor in and had a "cooling" issue after the new motor was put in which i found to be a coolant reservoir bottle cap hooked up
backwards :lol:

a week later (internally the CLEANEST 4age i've ever seen. period.)

^^ seat has been swapped for a cheap old raceseat

either way, i got mine for $200 and couldn't be happier with it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I happen to have an 85. I'm planning on selling it for the more powerful mkII in like 6 months :( . If anybody would want a red one with mint black/red interior 101k miles, just a sligh bit of rust (not broken through) and the removable sunroof. I'm lookin to sell, make me an offer. I haven't had a chance to post on autotrader or xcars yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.