Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crunched some numbers and it looks like it would take me 5.5 years to offset the extra cost of the Hybrid with the fuel savings.
Would you guys buy the Hybrid again if given the chance?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I crunched some numbers and it looks like it would take me 5.5 years to offset the extra cost of the Hybrid with the fuel savings.
Would you guys buy the Hybrid again if given the chance?
We were going to buy a limited Platinum either way. The cost difference between the gas & hybrid for 2017/2018 in this model is ~$1500.
Our payback is much shorter than yours since we will put on closer to 27K miles/year.
However, as mentioned in another thread, bluebook value for the used Highlander hybrids is consistently higher than the non-hybrid. So, if you plan to keep the car at least 5.5 years in your case, you may make some or most of the difference back when you sell.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
However, as mentioned in another thread, bluebook value for the used Highlander hybrids is consistently higher than the non-hybrid.
That might have been my post(?).

Trade in after 4 years/50,000 miles still gave the Hybrid a higher trade in value - based on a 2014 Limited.

Trade in after 8 years/100,000 miles put them at about the same value - slight advantage to the non-Hybrid - based on a 2010 Limited. I would guess that at this point the Hybrid system is no longer under warranty and is seen as more of a liability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a 2006 in 2011 that had really low mileage just because I could access a highway near us if I owned a hybrid and had special plates. I ended up being forced to replace that car before I wanted to because a minor fender bender ended up bending the frame at a weld spot. Insurance gave me nearly 7k for my 12 year old car that needed alot of work. I thought I could just get the same vehicle again for their settlement only to find that cars with more miles than I had were at least $10k. That told me that the hybrids held the value very well. After considering non-hybrids, I ultimately came back to the Highlander Hybrid, purchasing a 2009 with 111k miles on it. All years/models with around 100k miles were still selling between $13-20k depending on condition and mileage. That's pretty amazing since there are many new cars I could get for not much more on the upper end of that scale. Thankfully I was able to get mine at auction for not much more than my settlement payment. While I had to buy new tires and a battery, and I still need to do the Timing Belt, I know the car will run reliably for a long long time and like my 2006, it will hold its value for many years to come.

·
6,516 Posts
There is similar discussion in Prius forum... a hybrid is a hybrid, you know.
My 2012 HiHy was one and only car that was baught by dealer day two I put it up for sale on craigslist. And they gave me my full price. So yes, must be good reseller.
Word of wisdom, after 8 years with 2 hybrids.
Are you right candidate for a hybrid? Will a hybrid benefit you? That boils down to your commute, weather, terrain, driving style, driving expectations. Hybrids are not for everyone. Many came here to complain that mpg is not as promised/expected, just to mention that they drive very short distances only or in the city only.
So be aware of those factors. Signing lease is easy. Living with disappointment is not.
Will I buy a 3rd hybrid? No. I sit wait on full electric.

·
Registered
43 Posts
come on, it's a game and if your driving a Hybrid your winning. I am on my 3rd and plan to get a Prime if they go with AWD. without trying I get 25 MPG ( 06 Highlander Hybrid ) each tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts