Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I am not so sure about it. He often mentions that he could test drive fancy mustangs and got 5 mpg. I actually kinda agree that those Jeep/Dodge with hemi 8or pentastar 6 and zf 8speed might be decent vehicles. So Durango RT is quite attractive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
I mean, it depends on which Mustang you're talking about. The new ones, not bad since they've had IRS and the Coyote is a fantastic motor (IMO).

Old ones? Still use Ford corporate crap, which used to be bottom-of-the-barrel. Modular engines weren't terrible but not great either (again, IMO), but 4R70W? Ew. Anything AXOD-derived, EW. Ever driven an SN95? There will be people who like/liked them, but objectively, it's a bad car. Doesn't even look that great (IMO).

But the Mustang was a moneymaker for them so maybe they did put more effort into it. Take the Focus RS that just left the building, for some people it was hard to justify a 40K pricetag for a high-performance, Euro Ford...that still had the same nasty plastic interior as a base model.

Yeah, Tauruses suck. I have one, was perfectly maintained and transmission ate itself at 79K. Waiting until I get my Toyotas running until I find a used transmission, and pay a transmission shop $800 to throw Sonnax's entire catalog of fixes at it (they are LEGION). I would rebuild a used one myself, but I glanced at the usual Taurus forums, don't much like the crowd and I already know how to rebuild AX4Ns. Oh, comparison of my '05 Taurus to my '99 Camry:

• both 3.0L. Camry DOHC, Taurus pushrod
  • Camry rated at 19/27, Taurus rated at 13/19
  • with those big DOHC Mickey Mouse-ear heads, Camry somehow easier to work on
  • Camry parts cheaper and more durable. The plastic pulley (OE) on the Ford CII P/S pump had chips in it, so I got an aftermarket Cardone. For $18, it was metal and powdercoated WTF Ford's OE parts quality is garbage
  • Ford parts system is asinine. Can not figure out how or why they supersede parts, and neither can my last-resort dealer parts counters
  • Camry 194 HP, Taurus 150 HP. Approx. same torque (180 lb-ft or so). The only fancy tech on the 1MZ is the ACIS variable intake system. Taurus has all sorts of fancy garbage: variable intake, e-throttle, DPFE, magnesium valve covers for some reason etc. etc
  • Taurus is a fleet-spec, column shift: seats 6, while Camry seats 5. Camry infinitely more comfortable
  • The Taurus looks like a white potato.
  • I'll give the Taurus one thing, Ford's simple PCV systems always seem to keep the engines clean (my Vulcan is spotless inside, not a dot of sludge). Toyota doesn't seem to have figured that out
Thanks insight interesting. Can't believe that on the mustang they came up with a 2 piece spark plug. When you replace it sometime they snap in half and get stuck in the block Big headache. So if you ever work on a mustang treat those spark plug like glass or you are in for a headache.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am not so sure about it. He often mentions that he could test drive fancy mustangs and got 5 mpg. I actually kinda agree that those Jeep/Dodge with hemi 8or pentastar 6 and zf 8speed might be decent vehicles. So Durango RT is quite attractive.

That's right. I don't care about turbo as well. Ford gave F150 5.0 V8, but skipped it for expedition. Don't know about the logic here.

f150 is a okay engine but it also have that spark plug that breaks in half when replacing.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Jeep was just one of the worst vehicle I rented. I thought I was going to tip over driving through the mountains. I look good driving it but I was nervous inside the vehicle. The jeep was noisy and shook a lot when there was a big wind.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,964 Posts
Oh yeah, I've done several extractions and repairs for the crappy two-piece lol. What's arguably worse is the 4-valve engines like the Intech (I think) Modulars in Lincoln Navigators, etc; there is no kit to make it reasonably easy, the plugs in those aren't the two-piece but gall to the head. I had to soak for a week in penetrating oil, then retap the hole and of course idiot Ford stuck the engine way under the cowl which is a PitA to remove so nobody does.

Thanks insight interesting. Can't believe that on the mustang they came up with a 2 piece spark plug. When you replace it sometime they snap in half and get stuck in the block Big headache. So if you ever work on a mustang treat those spark plug like glass or you are in for a headache.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,326 Posts
Shouldn't this discussion be moved to the Off Topic Section ? It is interesting, but not Camry related. I am not trying to be a horse's ass, but in the past the modes quickly moved unrelated threads.
W95c

·
Registered
06 camry 318k & 2018
15 Posts
Looking for a family hauler now. The perfect one, on paper, seems to be Ford Expedition. (Really don't want to buy an auto dinosaur like Sequoia. The mpg is horrendous as well.) But having owned exclusively Japanese cars from a long time ago, I find I have developed a strange mentality that it is very hard for me to trust the reliability of cars made by American or German companies. So I am looking to find a certain type of people to solicit their opinions. I am looking for guys who have enjoyed the superb reliability of Gen 3 & 4 Camry's, AND who also had a good amount of exposure to Ford trucks, esp. the newer ones.

I am really curious as to whether the 3.5T EcoBoost engine and the 10AT have been perfected enough to be trust-worthy. Also how DIY-friendly is Expedition? The biggest draw of Expedition for me is (1) Superb space (2) Safety (3) Good highway mileage. I really hope that it is a vehicle that I can reply on for around 15 years and the repairs won't cost me an arm and a leg. Normal maintenance should be fine. I am handy enough to make that expense negligible.

I don't want to hear it from some Ford fan boys who can easily look past all sorts of costs and headaches. I don't enjoy doing unnecessary repairs and preventive R&R's. Thanks for your opinions!
expedition is a good american car prob one of the better ones but u know u cant beat toyota saquya

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,398 Posts
Looking for a family hauler now. The perfect one, on paper, seems to be Ford Expedition. (Really don't want to buy an auto dinosaur like Sequoia. The mpg is horrendous as well.) But having owned exclusively Japanese cars from a long time ago, I find I have developed a strange mentality that it is very hard for me to trust the reliability of cars made by American or German companies. So I am looking to find a certain type of people to solicit their opinions. I am looking for guys who have enjoyed the superb reliability of Gen 3 & 4 Camry's, AND who also had a good amount of exposure to Ford trucks, esp. the newer ones.

I am really curious as to whether the 3.5T EcoBoost engine and the 10AT have been perfected enough to be trust-worthy. Also how DIY-friendly is Expedition? The biggest draw of Expedition for me is (1) Superb space (2) Safety (3) Good highway mileage. I really hope that it is a vehicle that I can reply on for around 15 years and the repairs won't cost me an arm and a leg. Normal maintenance should be fine. I am handy enough to make that expense negligible.

I don't want to hear it from some Ford fan boys who can easily look past all sorts of costs and headaches. I don't enjoy doing unnecessary repairs and preventive R&R's. Thanks for your opinions!
If you plan on keeping it, get a Tahoe or a Suburban. Get it with the V8, so you can cut long term costs, since you plan on keeping it 15 years. Try and stay away from the extra electronics, as those are the biggest problems with them, and put them in the shop. (look at the Escalade for example). Te rest of the truck is still based on designs from 2004, when they changed it to a rack and pinion steering set up. Front wheel bearing can be changed in the driveway, but the key is getting good ones (not from the Zone). U joints can be had anywhere. Other than the steering rack, and front wheel bearings, the rest of the truck will go 500K miles. The electronics, maybe not.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,964 Posts
Also, nothing with an engine equipped with AFM, those are problematic

If you plan on keeping it, get a Tahoe or a Suburban. Get it with the V8, so you can cut long term costs, since you plan on keeping it 15 years. Try and stay away from the extra electronics, as those are the biggest problems with them, and put them in the shop. (look at the Escalade for example). Te rest of the truck is still based on designs from 2004, when they changed it to a rack and pinion steering set up. Front wheel bearing can be changed in the driveway, but the key is getting good ones (not from the Zone). U joints can be had anywhere. Other than the steering rack, and front wheel bearings, the rest of the truck will go 500K miles. The electronics, maybe not.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,398 Posts
Also, nothing with an engine equipped with AFM, those are problematic
I got the impression he was wanting something newer than 96 though. The 96 and earlier suburbans were built proof, and would go 320K miles with just regular oil changes and brake pads thrown at it. A buddy of mine has a 93 Chevy full size work truck with almost 700K miles on it. It got the engine rebuilt about 45K ago.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,964 Posts
Yeah I always did like the LT1, still terrible to work on compared to a Toyota but a decent motor nonetheless.

Just so we're on the same page, AFM = Active Fuel Management, GM's trademark for cylinder deactivation using special lifters (and rocker arms as well? I forget). Didn't appear until the mid-2000s.

He probably did want something newer, and my takeaway from this thread is that Ford = the suck (but that was my takeaway before, as well).

I got the impression he was wanting something newer than 96 though. The 96 and earlier suburbans were built proof, and would go 320K miles with just regular oil changes and brake pads thrown at it. A buddy of mine has a 93 Chevy full size work truck with almost 700K miles on it. It got the engine rebuilt about 45K ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The lt1 didnt come in the trucks as far as i know. They were just standard 5.7 350 tbi or 305 tbi motors. In that era truck. The lt1 was firebird/camaro/ corvette. And not all afm engines are bad. I have a 06 denali envoy with the 5.3 and has afm and its got 150k and runs like a top and doesnt burn but a half quart at most during oil changes. The problem with afm engines is actually the lack of maintenance. If oil change is done regularly most people will never have a lifter fail which is what fails most common on those engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also unfortunately on the afm engines if a lifter fails its usually best to install a delete kit which makes it just like the earlier ls motors. I dont like fords but the 5.4 and 4.6 are decent motor except when it comes to exhaust manifolds and spark plugs changes. Mechanic at my work works on all our trucks and there all fords. The ones only having issues usually are the 6.0 diesels

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had. 96 firebird with the lt1. It was a good motor except putting headers on it lol and the darn opti spark distributor. Failure there was always usually the weep hole on water pump would leak on it and fry it. Happen often never had an issue with mine tho

·
Registered
221 Posts
O and also gm did have a cylinder deactivation even back in the 80’s i think and it was cadillac. It was awful and a very bad attempt at it. Which is y it took till 2005 i believe for them to bring it back. Early models were the impala ss( the new one with the v8 and fwd) and grand prix i think too. Then the trailblazer and envoy got it in 05 for certain models of it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah I always did like the LT1, still terrible to work on compared to a Toyota but a decent motor nonetheless.

Just so we're on the same page, AFM = Active Fuel Management, GM's trademark for cylinder deactivation using special lifters (and rocker arms as well? I forget). Didn't appear until the mid-2000s.

He probably did want something newer, and my takeaway from this thread is that Ford = the suck (but that was my takeaway before, as well).
I almost purchased jamie lee curtis yellow transam firehawk. Manual tranny. I look under the hood and saw half the engine behind the firewall. I backed out of the purchase. Whoever design it to be that way is not thinking very well. Wonder if mechanics charge extra for that engine. You also need a special tool for the spark plugs.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts