Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I almost purchased jamie lee curtis yellow transam firehawk. Manual tranny. I look under the hood and saw half the engine behind the firewall. I backed out of the purchase. Whoever design it to be that way is not thinking very well. Wonder if mechanics charge extra for that engine. You also need a special tool for the spark plugs.
Lt1 and ls1’s in camaros and firebirds dont require special tool for spark plugs. On my lt1 it was a pain to do but def do able with no special tools needed. Ls1’s in 98-02 camaros/ firebird were even easier to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lt1 and ls1’s in camaros and firebirds dont require special tool for spark plugs. On my lt1 it was a pain to do but def do able with no special tools needed. Ls1’s in 98-02 camaros/ firebird were even easier to change

Yes I wrote it wrong on my post. I meant to say that spark plug close to firewall was hard to change from the looks of it that you might need a special tool to reach in there. Since you mention its doable then I guess it could be done.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,915 Posts
The lt1 didnt come in the trucks as far as i know. They were just standard 5.7 350 tbi or 305 tbi motors. In that era truck. The lt1 was firebird/camaro/ corvette. And not all afm engines are bad. I have a 06 denali envoy with the 5.3 and has afm and its got 150k and runs like a top and doesnt burn but a half quart at most during oil changes. The problem with afm engines is actually the lack of maintenance. If oil change is done regularly most people will never have a lifter fail which is what fails most common on those engines.

Meh, it's all variations on a theme, just like YQ or whatever blocks which are really stroker motors. All 2nd gen SBC are LT1 to me.

It's not that they're bad, it's just that they are problematic compared to other implementations. Overcomplication and editorializing about too-much-tech-to-keep-dinosaur-pushrod-engines-alive-a-bit-longer, I like Chrysler's MDS system. It works better than AFM and screws up less, although it is really sensitive to oil viscosity. My shop manager's Dodge Magnum, 5.7 Hemi: if he does an oil change with SuperTech 5W-20 FS, it throws an OBD code for "incorrect oil viscosity" or whatever. Several changes with Castrol Edge 5W-20 after that, the code disappears.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Ford garbage. The shop right now, I have an '07 F-150 FX2 in (5.4), an '04 Navigator (5.4 4-valve), and an '03 Expedition (4.6). All in for the same problem: misfiring. And it could be any of ten different things, I'm familiar with these pieces of s***, but give me a 2UZ or an LS truck-block any day.

Hah, I had a '95 Roadmaster with the LT1. It was a good car, and I've told this blurb before: I rebuilt the motor for high compression for that sweet screaming top-end power; since LT1s have reverse-flow cooling (cools heads before block), it was making 600 HP on pump gas (NA) without pinging. Viper manual since it's the same as F-body manual but strengthened internals to take the torque, and the F-to-B kit that somebody in the Midwest used to make to add the third pedal. It was great, couldn't handle worth a damn but was great. Sold it because I had too many cars (what am I talking about. I have 9 right now).

I almost purchased jamie lee curtis yellow transam firehawk. Manual tranny. I look under the hood and saw half the engine behind the firewall. I backed out of the purchase. Whoever design it to be that way is not thinking very well. Wonder if mechanics charge extra for that engine. You also need a special tool for the spark plugs.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,915 Posts
LOL, yeah they could have thought out the serviceability on pushrod plug changes better. I've gotten good at it, I can do all 8 on a cold LS in under 45 minutes now (with gapping, antiseize, and torquing to 15 ft-lbs) but it's still a PitA. Also, being 5'9" means I have to crawl all over the truck bays to get to the back one on the passenger side facing the firewall.

Yes I wrote it wrong on my post. I meant to say that spark plug close to firewall was hard to change from the looks of it that you might need a special tool to reach in there. Since you mention its doable then I guess it could be done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Meh, it's all variations on a theme, just like YQ or whatever blocks which are really stroker motors. All 2nd gen SBC are LT1 to me.

It's not that they're bad, it's just that they are problematic compared to other implementations. Overcomplication and editorializing about too-much-tech-to-keep-dinosaur-pushrod-engines-alive-a-bit-longer, I like Chrysler's MDS system. It works better than AFM and screws up less, although it is really sensitive to oil viscosity. My shop manager's Dodge Magnum, 5.7 Hemi: if he does an oil change with SuperTech 5W-20 FS, it throws an OBD code for "incorrect oil viscosity" or whatever. Several changes with Castrol Edge 5W-20 after that, the code disappears.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Ford garbage. The shop right now, I have an '07 F-150 FX2 in (5.4), an '04 Navigator (5.4 4-valve), and an '03 Expedition (4.6). All in for the same problem: misfiring. And it could be any of ten different things, I'm familiar with these pieces of s***, but give me a 2UZ or an LS truck-block any day.

Hah, I had a '95 Roadmaster with the LT1. It was a good car, and I've told this blurb before: I rebuilt the motor for high compression for that sweet screaming top-end power; since LT1s have reverse-flow cooling (cools heads before block), it was making 600 HP on pump gas (NA) without pinging. Viper manual since it's the same as F-body manual but strengthened internals to take the torque, and the F-to-B kit that somebody in the Midwest used to make to add the third pedal. It was great, couldn't handle worth a damn but was great. Sold it because I had too many cars (what am I talking about. I have 9 right now).
Nice ive always missed my lt1. I always wanted a roadmaster wagon just to make it a sleeper. Sounds sweet. I was just trying to put good info out as u. Didnt mean to come off any sort of way lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive also just changed plugs on my envoy not long ago with the 5.3 and it was a pain in the ass to change plugs because the body style was meant for the 4.2 straight six. Changing them still wasnt as bad as the lt1 change tho. And o i was by no means saying ford motor are good just there not completely as bad as people put out. Every motor and vehicle can have issues. I do not like ford and prob would never buy one just those motors are not complete garbage there are def worse motors

·
short-throw dipstick
5,915 Posts
No of course not, your info was great - I know it's a Toyota forum but I could talk GM powerplants all day lol.

Yeah that was my plan lol, mine was a fully-loaded woody wagon: tow package (self-leveling rear, Posi diff 2.93), automatic HVAC, etc. Still floating around my local Craigslists from time to time lol.

LT1 plug changes get a lot easier when you swap out the manifolds for nice headers.

Nice ive always missed my lt1. I always wanted a roadmaster wagon just to make it a sleeper. Sounds sweet. I was just trying to put good info out as u. Didnt mean to come off any sort of way lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No of course not, your info was great - I know it's a Toyota forum but I could talk GM powerplants all day lol.

Yeah that was my plan lol, mine was a fully-loaded woody wagon: tow package (self-leveling rear, Posi diff 2.93), automatic HVAC, etc. Still floating around my local Craigslists from time to time lol.

LT1 plug changes get a lot easier when you swap out the manifolds for nice headers.
O yeh i changed plugs when it had manifold but then later changed them again when i added headers in my formula firebird. Ive had alot of cars and have gained alot of knowledge on all of them and do all work on my own cars too so i learn alot. I could also talk different makes all day as well lol. Nice to talk to someone else who could do the same lol

61 - 68 of 68 Posts