i recently picked up an 87 toyota pu, it woulnt hold a charge i have tried new batt new alt, all fuses and relays seem to be fine, i believe there is a short or bare wire somewere along the way any help on what wire would be greatly apreciative, also i checked at the hot comming off the alt, and im getting 13.9 so alt is throwing out a charge it just isnt making it to the battery
If you had a short you would have a blown fuse or some melted wiring somewhere.
If the voltage from the alt is not getting to the battery, that indicates there is an open somewhere in the wiring between the two (and the open could possibly have been caused from a previous short melting some wires completely through).
You need to start at one end and follow all the wires to the other end.
Where did you measure the 13.9 volts, at the alternator output stud or at the battery terminals?