Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I was at walmart the other day and I saw a set of xenon bulbs for like $15. I want the whitish blue color but im a bit low on cash so HID's arent an option for me as of now. I was wondering if theyre any good? Like will they give me a that slight HID effect? Also will they last long as regular halogen bulbs or burn out much quicker?

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I bought those lights before, and they are a bit whiter then stock, but they arent blue. I have 7500K color bulbs and they are a bright white with a hint of blue. Try to find the color temperature on the package, because that will tell you what color they will shine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
they will not have the HID effect (assuming that the HID effect is bright white light with a small portion of the colour spectrum at the cut off)

they will provide you with the colour that you seek tho. 4300k for white, 6400k for blue. 8000k for blue blue blue.

they WILL not be bright. the higher colour temperature you go, the dimmer they will be. If u want my opinion, i would not get the 15$ ones because they are TOO dim.

there are good brand name light companies that make good bulbs that will give you "white" light. most will not have the blue, sylvania cool blue might but the colour is whitish blue and NOT white with a blueish spectrum at the cut off.

Sylvania seems to be the most preffered. average life time seems to be half a year. some people have had it for over a year.

so to sum it all up. 15$ bulbs are too dim, but u can get blue. the $25+ sylvania will give you the brightness but not so much the colour that you seek.

good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the ones I want are like around 7000K and they have a 1 year warranty, I think- they are about 25$. So this will give me the bluish white color right? AS for birghness will thses be as bright or brighter than stock?

·
Green Gang
camry
595 Posts
i heard u can't put hid on stock housing cuz the light will go everywhere and the beam will be much less bright.

·
Registered
376 Posts
xxzero90xx said:
Well the ones I want are like around 7000K.. So this will give me the bluish white color right? AS for birghness will thses be as bright or brighter than stock?
here is a pic of 7000k
http://www.aplusperformance.com/catalog/images/mu-hid7000k.jpg
of course pictures can only give an approx.
in my opinion, 7000k is whitish blue and not bluish white
the bulb most likely will not be brighter than stock because to output that colour, the manufactuer puts a blue film on the bulb filtering all colour except the colour of the film (in ur case, blue) and the colours that are filtered causes the decrease in lumens output.

in my opinion, the colour of the light is not worth the dimished light output. i would get the sylvania xtravision or the other one (white output, good amount of light) but you might feel that the colour is worth the dimished light output.

xxzero90xx said:
whats the legal temp? like whats the highest it can be??
that depends on where you live. i have seen purple and pink headlights. if they do not stand out too much and you don't live in a strict area then you will be ok. if you do get pulled over for some reason, they might mention ur lights along with whatever they pulled you over for

xxzero90xx said:
another question, what size are the 97 camry bulbs? does it matther or do they have the sizes on the box??
9003 is the bulb code for the headlight bulb (that one bulb does low and high beam). no the bulb code does not matter if you have cutting and soldering skills. but its not worth the trouble to get a different bulb code and custom fit it onto your car because you will find a 9003 bulb that fits your needs. yes they have the bulb code on the boxes. remember. you want 9003

please don't post so many times. click edit at the bottom right hand corner and add questions instead.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
213solider said:
i heard u can't put hid on stock housing cuz the light will go everywhere and the beam will be much less bright.
You heard right.

HIDs in halogen reflector housings are terrible. Light bounces all over the place because the reflectors are not designed for that kind of light intensity, and its those people that do it anyway that blind other drivers and give HIDs a bad name in the automotive community.

To the original poster, 7000K is not a good idea, whether its halogen or HID. Like Ayzhen said, the diminished light output is not worth the color. You're severely limiting the amount of light that is on the road, and creating a more dangerous situation for yourself. Don't go above 6000K or you'll regret it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The last lights I bought had the one year warranty so guess what happened at 13 months. I swear they know exactly how long those bulbs are going to last.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
2,599 Posts
xxzero90xx said:
hey guys I was at walmart the other day and I saw a set of xenon bulbs for like $15. I want the whitish blue color but im a bit low on cash so HID's arent an option for me as of now. I was wondering if theyre any good? Like will they give me a that slight HID effect? Also will they last long as regular halogen bulbs or burn out much quicker?
"HID = High Intensity Discharge (So It's a more intense bulb)
XENON = xenon gas is a rare gas which is heated inside the bulb (this is found in most high end european cars, the japs prefer to use HID's eg. accord euro, S2k) A set of xenons can cost thousands where as HID's can he had for a few hundred $$$."

DAmn....Seriously I didnt know this! I thought they're both the same thing :eek:::lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
^ yeah i dunno why they call it 'xenon'. it seriously confuses almost everybody who firsts start to look into lighting options. lol

but yeah whitechocolate says u'll regret it ? well i have 15$ 6400k and i regret it. its good that they were only 15$. i regret it because it is just TOO dim =P

let us know if u need anything else ;)

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Actually, stock is around 3800K. SilverStars are 4000K. There really isn't that much difference between stock and SS.

You actually don't want bulbs like the SilverStars because they have a film over the bulb. The film traps in heat and shortens the life of the bulb. Thats why stock bulbs last for around 300 hours. SS's only last for around 200-250. In terms of output in lumens of light, stock bulbs and SilverStars are almost identical...

Basically, the SilverStars are a good bulb if you're willing to change it out every 6 months to a year (depending on how much night driving you do).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts