Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
07 Corolla
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put new hid lights on my car, its an 07 corolla. They work perfectly when i turn the lights on manually, or when the light sensor turns them on. The problem is, my car has daytime running lights, which are the normal driving lights, they just run dimmer until you turn your lights on full or until the light sensor turns them on. I guess the running lights are only being used on half the voltage or something, but they activate when i release my parking brake, but the xenon lights cant run off of that low of voltage so they rapidly pulse and im sure thats not good for them. Is there a way around this, maybe disable the switch for my running light on my e-brake???

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
HID + DRL = dead HIDs a lot sooner than they should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jonny Steele said:
I just put new hid lights on my car, its an 07 corolla. They work perfectly when i turn the lights on manually, or when the light sensor turns them on. The problem is, my car has daytime running lights, which are the normal driving lights, they just run dimmer until you turn your lights on full or until the light sensor turns them on. I guess the running lights are only being used on half the voltage or something, but they activate when i release my parking brake, but the xenon lights cant run off of that low of voltage so they rapidly pulse and im sure thats not good for them. Is there a way around this, maybe disable the switch for my running light on my e-brake???

you gotta disable them, there's a few ways to do this, but in my case i just cut the red/white wire in pin 4(i think) in the drl module under the steering column, very easy

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Someone posted a DIY on how to do this before, use at own risk though. :ugh3:

·
07 Corolla
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yang_Jai said:
you gotta disable them, there's a few ways to do this, but in my case i just cut the red/white wire in pin 4(i think) in the drl module under the steering column, very easy
So is there a way i can just unplug the wire, i know it comes on when i release the e-brake, is there a simple wire to unlpug there??

·
07 Corolla
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
falnfenix said:
HID + DRL = dead HIDs a lot sooner than they should be.
One more thing, what exactly does DRL stand for, i know it means my running lights, but im not sure what each letter means??

·
2005ToyotaCorollaS
05 Toyota Corolla S
413 Posts
DRL = daytime running lights, and if u havent sone it yet ur lucky ur HID are still working do it ASAP!!!!

D

·
07 Corolla
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the simplest way to disable them but to were my lights will still come on automatically, if i take the e brake sensor off, while it still know to turn them on at night?

·
2005ToyotaCorollaS
05 Toyota Corolla S
413 Posts
Jonny Steele said:
What is the simplest way to disable them but to were my lights will still come on automatically, if i take the e brake sensor off, while it still know to turn them on at night?
What I did is swtich the fog plugs for the low beam plugs that was ur fogs come on duiring the day and low with the twilight sensor

D

·
07 Corolla
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
daniel2002p said:
What I did is swtich the fog plugs for the low beam plugs that was ur fogs come on duiring the day and low with the twilight sensor

D
Ok, so your saying i need to use the plug that goes into my driving lights and plug that into my fog?? Then what will power the driving lights, ps, my car did not come factory with fogs, i had to buy it seperatly, it is the toyota fogs, but not using the factory wiring.

·
2005ToyotaCorollaS
05 Toyota Corolla S
413 Posts
Jonny Steele said:
Ok, so your saying i need to use the plug that goes into my driving lights and plug that into my fog?? Then what will power the driving lights, ps, my car did not come factory with fogs, i had to buy it seperatly, it is the toyota fogs, but not using the factory wiring.
Ahh nope that only workd with factory fogs....

D

·
Registered
corolla xrs
55 Posts
you can try to cut the wire and if you cut the wrong one just tape it back together will it do that with an 05 corolla too cuz I was thinking to put hid on mine too

·
2005ToyotaCorollaS
05 Toyota Corolla S
413 Posts
Ok I am gonna be nice and give u step by step instructions here to disable DRL:

1: Locate DRL above gas pedal under dash (the box will say Toyota DRL Module)

2: Locate Pin 12 (usually a white/red wire)

3: Cut that wire the ground the module side of that wire to prevent the batt light from tripping on

4: Tape up the other end of the wire

5: Now u have to use the switch for the light like a normal car

D

·
Registered
87 Corolla FX-16
30 Posts
I found that using a relay for each HID worked great in my car. Just make sure you don't hook the constant 12V up to 85 or 86. Doing that will keep the coil energized (that means hot) all the time and will wear out the relay. I recommend running 85 to ground and running 30 to the battery. 87 should power the HID's and then 86 should be connected to the positive cable of the headlights so it can work as a switch for the HID's.
Kelly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts