Votes: 24 50.0%
  • DDMTuning

Votes: 10 20.8%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Trust No One!
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a PnP HID kit but not sure which one to get. I know the best thing to do would be to do a projector retrofit but I cant spend that much cash on a retrofit at the moment. I wanna get 4300k -4500k for max useable light. Definitely with a relay harness to avoid issues. I know DDM is ALOT less then xenondepot and morimoto but I would like hear opinions from those who have these kits. THNX

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
513 Posts
I have xenonsupply 6k on my corolla. Paid $80 and got two bulbs, two ballasts, and a relay harness. My car is PnP but the relay makes it so much better and no flickering. I installed xenonsupply hid's on my cousins camry as well and he couldnt be happier.

Also like you, mine are not retrofitted just the reflectors.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
513 Posts
What year is your car? My cousins is a 2006 camry special edition with the body kit and BBS rims

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I've had HID bulbs from DDM and it is brighter but vibrates a lot when driving, then I switch to XenonDepot's bulb and didn't have that vibration problem, brightness is almost the same.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
513 Posts
What do you mean by vibrates? Like the bulb was loose?

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,472 Posts
I've had all 3. IMO the best of the 3 would have to be Morimoto, bulbs are great and I love the quality of their ballasts. XenonDepot can deserves an honorable 2nd place, their stuff is of similar quality to Morimoto (or greater, not sure how their stuff is as of late). DDM, eh... deserves 3rd, not a fan of their retarded bulb color choices. None of them are really that bad though, I've got 3 year old DDM ballasts still chugging along, 2 year old DDM bulbs still working fine.

If you want to go cheap and pay less than $70, go with DDM. You'll be paying at least $150 for a Morimoto kit, not entirely sure what XenonDepots kits are going for nowadays but I know they are at least 100+.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
No my bulbs are all tight but I think the inside of the bulbs is vibrating, cause I can see my beam vibrates on the road but not on my new bulbs. I think XD is the best for the money, I got 50% off too. :D

Oh and I had fitment issue with DDM bulbs too and I had to use the OEM rubber rings to make it fit. But XD is good.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
513 Posts
I went with xenonsupply because of the customer service. It was either ddm or xenonsupply for me

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Well u get what u pay for. Less $$ = cheap product, More $$ = better product.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla LE
513 Posts
Yeah i agree. But it does the job for less money. Morimoto's are gnna be the best but i think a large part of it is going to be personal preference

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
well my wallet can only afford XenonDepot, so yea it's good for me. :D I even bought the cheaper Philips bulbs, not the higher end one, but it works good. My ballasts are from some unknown company but it's been going strong for over 2 yrs now, on 2 cars too! :D

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
1,039 Posts
For aftermarket, I choose Morimoto. The problems with aftermarket ballasts are 1) they don't put out close to 35W, which is not as bright as OEM ballasts do (not much different, but there is) 2) they don't warm up as fast as OEM ballasts. I'm using Denso ballasts and Philips 85122: no dim when turning headlights on. I will buy Osram 66240 SVS or Osram 66240 CBI when my current bulbs get aged.
It costs around $200 (including everything) to retrofit and is not expensive, IMO. I see people changing suspensions, rims, brakes, performance... which are well over $200 and wonder how come they can't spend $200 to have good lighting. Instead, they choose pnp to make their cars look cheap.

·
Low & Slow Cam
2009 Camry Le
2,761 Posts
For aftermarket, I choose Morimoto. The problems with aftermarket ballasts are 1) they don't put out close to 35W, which is not as bright as OEM ballasts do (not much different, but there is) 2) they don't warm up as fast as OEM ballasts. I'm using Denso ballasts and Philips 85122: no dim when turning headlights on. I will buy Osram 66240 SVS or Osram 66240 CBI when my current bulbs get aged.
It costs around $200 (including everything) to retrofit and is not expensive, IMO. I see people changing suspensions, rims, brakes, performance... which are well over $200 and wonder how come they can't spend $200 to have good lighting. Instead, they choose pnp to make their cars look cheap.
I definitely agree with you bro! I'm using oem MATSUSHITA GEN V BALLASTS and the Osram 66240 5000K D2S CBI in my retrofit and I love my setup! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can't beat morimoto. Its as close as you'll get to oem without going oem. You might as well save up and do a quick retro. I got my entire mini h1 retro completed for like 250 bucks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a XenonDepot ballast with Morimoto 4300k bulb and It's pretty bright for stock gen 6.5 projector? Anyway I can make them even brighter without going retofit beside changing to a 50w ballast?

·
Registered
2011 Camry SE
73 Posts
I currently have DDM ballasts with morimoto 5000k bulbs and i couldnt ask for a better result without going thru the retrofit route.

no lights:

with lights:

the light looks more blue than it really is.... these are identical to stock HIDs

·
Registered
437 Posts
I currently have DDM ballasts with morimoto 5000k bulbs and i couldnt ask for a better result without going thru the retrofit route.

no lights:

with lights:

the light looks more blue than it really is.... these are identical to stock HIDs
Nice glare, lighting up the street sign way down there guy.

·
Registered
2011 Camry SE
73 Posts
Nice glare, lighting up the street sign way down there guy.
thats the squirrel spotters... i was going to do a delete on them but my cousins lexus has them too so i figured id keep them... it doesnt glare oncoming traffic so its not a problem.. ill take one with my DSLR when i get the chance

1 - 20 of 41 Posts