Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yea, I have seen OEM ballasts. TRS sells them. But they are made for D2S bulbs whereas we need AMP connectors for our bulbs. TRS sells the Denso OEM with AMP connectors, but a lot of people don't use them because they are $200+ and you have to pay to have them potted or water proof.

Not sure about the corollas lights.

I use DDM ballasts in the RAV with Morimoto bulbs. I've been thinking hard about getting some Philips 4300k 9006 for the RAV. But man those DDM ballasts take forever to warm up compared to my XD ballasts.
Whats potted? Why are they not water proof? $220 doesnt seem far off from XD. Dont get me wrong XD is where I am leaning but If I can use a OEM Denso one I would rather; Especially if they warm up faster.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
Whats potted? Why are they not water proof? $220 doesnt seem far off from XD. Dont get me wrong XD is where I am leaning but If I can use a OEM Denso one I would rather; Especially if they warm up faster.
I'm not a retro expert by any means, but most OEM ballasts are mounted in a spot where they are safe from water, so they are not made water proof. But when you put them on your car, they aren't mounted somewhere safe from water, so you have to get them waterproofed, which is potting them. You can pay people to pot them, or you can buy the stuff yourself. I think TRS charges like $40 or so.

Getting OEM Denso ballasts you are looking at $200 or so for the ballasts, $40 to get them potted (I'm not sure how much exactly), you need an additional adapter to get it to plug into your car's plug, and then you have to buy the bulbs, which for the Philips 4300k it is on sale for $75. So you are looking at roughly $320 or so before any shipping charges (if any). Compared to $200 for the complete XD Digital kit w/ Philips bulbs.

That being said, I was close to buying the OEM denso ballasts w/ amp connectors. Real close. But opted not to.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Wow, I just ran to 711. I cranked my car in my driveway after it has sat for a few hours and my XenonDepot Xtreme ballasts got the lights literally to full brightness in 3 seconds. The operating temperature (color) took a few more seconds, but full brightness was achieved extremely fast. I have been driving the RAV w/ DDM ballasts all last week and those things SUCK so bad compared to the XD Xtreme ones. I need to do something about that soon. :D

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Thanks for answering some of the questions GreatAvalon!

Going with OEM parts will be more expensive and require additional work as mentioned. But from experience and feedback, the Xtreme ballast and even the Volt ballast do fire up fairly quickly. By the time you turn them on and are ready to drive away, you would have the full light output.

If your looking for the closest output and color to OEM than going with the Philips 4300K bulbs is your best option as mentioned by other forum members.

Just for comparison, here is the difference between the Philips 4300K and XenonDepot 5000K

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-general-discussion/699177-4300k-vs-5000k-hid-color-temperature-comparison.html

Danny

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Just some more info...tonight I drove next to a Lexus RX. The RX and my Philips 4300k bulb color on the road were exactly the same. Pretty awesome!

Oh, and since the Corolla LEDs were mentioned earlier, tonight I stopped by 711 on my way home. I saw a Corolla w/ 30 day tags with its lights on sitting in the parking lot. So I pulled next to it and took a pic of the difference of our light colors! The tree in the pic acts as a good dividing line. Just so happened a white beater truck was right there for a good comparison! Left is '14 Corolla LED. Right is my Philips 4300k XD Xtreme.

The Corolla LED lights are much bluer than my Philips 4300k. I would call my Philips 4300k white, and the Corolla LED blue. They are too blue for my taste, I would rate them at a true 6000K. Note: In the above pic, know that my lights are white in real life, so you can imagine how much bluer the left (Corolla) is in real life.

Also, see how much more intense my HIDs are? (on right). So much more light with the HIDs than LEDs.

Anyways, just thought that was a cool comparison :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Just some more info...tonight I drove next to a Lexus RX. The RX and my Philips 4300k bulb color on the road were exactly the same. Pretty awesome!

Oh, and since the Corolla LEDs were mentioned earlier, tonight I stopped by 711 on my way home. I saw a Corolla w/ 30 day tags with its lights on sitting in the parking lot. So I pulled next to it and took a pic of the difference of our light colors! The tree in the pic acts as a good dividing line. Just so happened a white beater truck was right there for a good comparison! Left is '14 Corolla LED. Right is my Philips 4300k XD Xtreme.

The Corolla LED lights are much bluer than my Philips 4300k. I would call my Philips 4300k white, and the Corolla LED blue. They are too blue for my taste, I would rate them at a true 6000K. Note: In the above pic, know that my lights are white in real life, so you can imagine how much bluer the left (Corolla) is in real life.

Also, see how much more intense my HIDs are? (on right). So much more light with the HIDs than LEDs.

Anyways, just thought that was a cool comparison :thumbsup:
That's a great comparison and your right as far as the LED headlights go. The average LED bulb is in the 5000-6000K range so some blue will be noticeable. As far as the light output goes with LED lights in headlights they require more LEDs to project more light and that's why higher end vehicles like Audi use more than one LED headlight to produce more light. I think on one of the new Acura's it has 8 LED lights on each side.

Danny

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
The more you post the more I realize I should have ordered a year ago..I'm In "processing" now can't wait for it to ship!
Hahaha, well congrats on the order! What bulbs did you go with?
That's a great comparison and your right as far as the LED headlights go. The average LED bulb is in the 5000-6000K range so some blue will be noticeable. As far as the light output goes with LED lights in headlights they require more LEDs to project more light and that's why higher end vehicles like Audi use more than one LED headlight to produce more light. I think on one of the new Acura's it has 8 LED lights on each side.

Danny
That sucks to only have one LED projector then. Those new Audis/Acuras with all the projectors look cool.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Philips Bulb 4300K. its apparently backordered or something so might not get it till next week. =(
Ah man. Well, it will be worth it when you get it! When you get and install them - give it about 2-4 weeks depending on how much night driving you do and you should notice the color shift.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ah man. Well, it will be worth it when you get it! When you get and install them - give it about 2-4 weeks depending on how much night driving you do and you should notice the color shift.

I didn't get the Philips 4300k I got the regular 4300k and I noticed a slight color shift but not much. But I still prefer xenondepot.

Btw I saw you on camry nation fb ;) I just joined lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Philips Bulb 4300K. its apparently backordered or something so might not get it till next week. =(
Sorry about that, they have been very popular as of late but we should have more in later this week. Once they ship it should only take 2-3 business days for delivery :)

Danny

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have XD ballast and XD 4300K bulbs installed and very happy with the color. Since I don't have the Philips bulb for side by side to compare I don't know if it'll be a night and day difference, all I know is no flickering and no ground wire shadow.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have XD ballast and XD 4300K bulbs installed and very happy with the color. Since I don't have the Philips bulb for side by side to compare I don't know if it'll be a night and day difference, all I know is no flickering and no ground wire shadow.
Honestly you can't go wrong with either option! The difference is not huge but the Philips 4300K bulbs will be whiter in comparison to the XenonDepot 4300K.

Danny

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you guys buy a pair of extra lights to have on hand or order when needed? How often on average would the lights need to be replaced?

181 - 200 of 850 Posts
About this Discussion
849 Replies
105 Participants
XenonDepot
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing