Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perfect. I look forward to hearing from you. I suspect something to do with the relay harness to be the culprit. If possible, I can give you a call to discuss once you provide me with the order info.

Steve
PM sent. Actually now would be a perfect time to discuss the issue for I am on my lunch hour.

Cell # PM'd- no offense guys haha

Thanks

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Drivers, in front of the battery (DDM ballast pictured, didn't take pics of my XD ones):

Passengers I mounted on top of the windshield washer reservoir.

I always mount so they are laying flat so gravity isn't continuously trying to rip them down. I also used 3M Outdoor Extreme tape rather than the 3M that was supplied with the kit. Mine are holding strong, and after about a year one of my old ballasts that I took out was almost impossible to rip up. That stuff is strong!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hi - You technically can install this kit on your high beams as long as you do not have DRL (daytime running lights). However, I personally do not suggest installing kits as high beams for a couple of reasons:

(1) HID bulbs take a moment to warm up and reach their desired light output. In a situation where you required a quick burst of light from your high beams, your HID high beams will not be very functional.

(2) It is strenuous on the components to be turned on/off repeatedly i.e.: flashing people.

Hope this helps,

Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can definitely vouch for all the positives said in this thread.

I haven't been on TN in a while but I was referred to Xenon Depot by TN and loved the fact they also gave a good discount to TN members.

I bought the Volt kit and havent used a wire harness with the HIDS (4300k) but they perform flawless every time I switch em on.

I am going to purchase a set of 5000k bulbs down the road and another set of HID's as well. Only gripe and this is because im a young californian who needs instant gratification is the shipping, it took about a week but my excitement made it feel like a month lol

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I can definitely vouch for all the positives said in this thread.

I haven't been on TN in a while but I was referred to Xenon Depot by TN and loved the fact they also gave a good discount to TN members.

I bought the Volt kit and havent used a wire harness with the HIDS (4300k) but they perform flawless every time I switch em on.

I am going to purchase a set of 5000k bulbs down the road and another set of HID's as well. Only gripe and this is because im a young californian who needs instant gratification is the shipping, it took about a week but my excitement made it feel like a month lol
Thanks for the great feedback! We have recently been offering upgraded Fedex shipping at no charge which only takes 2-3 days for delivery! take advantage of it while you can :)

Danny

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Same here. Upgraded to 5k and i like it over 4300k
Good info! The 5000k makes it definitely look like you have HIDs in the beam color. Just curious, did you give the 4300k lights enough time to color shift to have purple on the cutoff?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good info! The 5000k makes it definitely look like you have HIDs in the beam color. Just curious, did you give the 4300k lights enough time to color shift to have purple on the cutoff?

Nah I couldn't tolerate the warmth lol. I like my whites pure cold white and I have my yellow fogs to provide a bit of warmth.

I still have my 4300k in a box

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Nah I couldn't tolerate the warmth lol. I like my whites pure cold white and I have my yellow fogs to provide a bit of warmth.

I still have my 4300k in a box
Haha ok I get you! Well I'm glad your happy with the 5000k!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up buying these lights with the upgraded Phillips bulbs, they don't look as bright as Great Avalon's do on the road but they are much brighter than stock and I love them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few questions...why wouldn't The movie fan's look as bright as GA's lights; went they the same?
Secondly, 4300k look white compared to stock halogens? I'm looking for white and hid with more of a oem hid look.

Lastly is there anything that can be done to increase the warm up time. I notice oem HIDs have a quick warm up time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
4300K is around the color temp of OEM HIDs and will definitely look whiter than regular halogen bulbs. And no, there's nothing you can do to speed up the warm-up time for HIDs.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
I ended up buying these lights with the upgraded Phillips bulbs, they don't look as bright as Great Avalon's do on the road but they are much brighter than stock and I love them.
Glad you like them! Have yours color shifted already?
A few questions...why wouldn't The movie fan's look as bright as GA's lights; went they the same?
Secondly, 4300k look white compared to stock halogens? I'm looking for white and hid with more of a oem hid look.

Lastly is there anything that can be done to increase the warm up time. I notice oem HIDs have a quick warm up time.
4300K is around the color temp of OEM HIDs and will definitely look whiter than regular halogen bulbs. And no, there's nothing you can do to speed up the warm-up time for HIDs.
Just to build off of this...

1- I'm sure they are the same brightness

2- Yes, the Philips 4300k bulbs look white compared to stock halogens. But the Philips 4300k's burn in, or color shift, to be a more cool/white ~4700k. The Philips bulbs have the blue/purple on the cut off as OEM HIDs do, since they are OEM bulb capsules rebased to fit out lights. If you want OEM HID look, get the Philips 4300k and when they color shift, you will look EXACTLY like Lexus/Acura. I've seen mine driving behind me and they look identical to a luxury car w/ OEM HIDs. I will note that the non-philips 4300ks will not appear like OEM HIDs. The Philips 4300k's will though.

If you pay close attention to or have riden/driven a luxury car w/ OEM HIDs, you will notice that they are blue on the cut off, but the actual light beam color is no where near as blue as the cut off, or as they look when driving against them (or looking in your rear view mirror). The light on the road color is 4300k, whereas the cut off appears blue/purple-ish just based on the refraction of the bulb (verbage). The Philips bulbs for our car are the same exact way. They are literally OEM HID capsules, you can't get any more OEM HID look a like than that. It took about 2-3 weeks for mine to color shift to look exactly like OEM HIDs. But that is 100% normal.

3- Only thing to do is buy OEM ballasts. But the XenonDepot ballasts warm up much faster than DDM ballasts. I can't compare them to Morimoto since I haven't used Morimoto ballasts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad you like them! Have yours color shifted already?

Just to build off of this...

1- I'm sure they are the same brightness

2- Yes, the Philips 4300k bulbs look white compared to stock halogens. But the Philips 4300k's burn in, or color shift, to be a more cool/white ~4700k. The Philips bulbs have the blue/purple on the cut off as OEM HIDs do, since they are OEM bulb capsules rebased to fit out lights. If you want OEM HID look, get the Philips 4300k and when they color shift, you will look EXACTLY like Lexus/Acura. I've seen mine driving behind me and they look identical to a luxury car w/ OEM HIDs. I will note that the non-philips 4300ks will not appear like OEM HIDs. The Philips 4300k's will though.

If you pay close attention to or have riden/driven a luxury car w/ OEM HIDs, you will notice that they are blue on the cut off, but the actual light beam color is no where near as blue as the cut off, or as they look when driving against them (or looking in your rear view mirror). The light on the road color is 4300k, whereas the cut off appears blue/purple-ish just based on the refraction of the bulb (verbage). The Philips bulbs for our car are the same exact way. They are literally OEM HID capsules, you can't get any more OEM HID look a like than that. It took about 2-3 weeks for mine to color shift to look exactly like OEM HIDs. But that is 100% normal.

3- Only thing to do is buy OEM ballasts. But the XenonDepot ballasts warm up much faster than DDM ballasts. I can't compare them to Morimoto since I haven't used Morimoto ballasts.
Seen anyone with OEM ballasts? Why isn't everyone trying to get OEM type ballasts?

Another question is about the LED lights that are in the Corollas. Is there any way to add these / would it be even be worth it to try.

Don't you have Morimoto ballasts in your Rav4?

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Seen anyone with OEM ballasts? Why isn't everyone trying to get OEM type ballasts?

Another question is about the LED lights that are in the Corollas. Is there any way to add these / would it be even be worth it to try.

Don't you have Morimoto ballasts in your Rav4?
Yea, I have seen OEM ballasts. TRS sells them. But they are made for D2S bulbs whereas we need AMP connectors for our bulbs. TRS sells the Denso OEM with AMP connectors, but a lot of people don't use them because they are $200+ and you have to pay to have them potted or water proof.

Not sure about the corollas lights.

I use DDM ballasts in the RAV with Morimoto bulbs. I've been thinking hard about getting some Philips 4300k 9006 for the RAV. But man those DDM ballasts take forever to warm up compared to my XD ballasts.

161 - 180 of 850 Posts
About this Discussion
849 Replies
105 Participants
XenonDepot
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing