Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am a newbie to this forum (been on MatrixOwners.com since 2003, selling my Matrix to my daughter now). Just signed up today, although I have been a Toyota owner for my entire driving history (my first car was a 1972 Toyota Corolla 2 door). I am putting in an order next month for a 2007 Camry SE in Barcelona red with all options except Navi.

The question I have is does anyone know where and how the dealership mounts the XM antenna when one purchases the Toyota dealer installed XM radio option? Does the XM radio use the same integrated rear window antenna? Or is there a separate XM antenna they install? Anyone have pictures of their antenna installation?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid reply njerald and for your patience.

Anyone have any fotos they can share of the antenna mount locations?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The XM antenna is mounted inside the vehicle on the package shelf at the lower center of the rear window. It's a 1" square black box that's about 1/4" high. I have one, and the reception seems to work fine, despite the fact that the antenna is inside the vehicle.

As the previous poster said, the OEM XM tuner is only compatible with the JBL-branded head units. So, if you have the low-end stereo, it won't be compatible, and you'll need to get a third-party solution (e.g., something that plugs into the AUX jack of your car).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. However, I am concerned with mounting the XM antenna "upside doewn" as suggested in the 'behind the rear view mirror' suggestion from 2007CamryXLE. Should I be that concerned about it?

Currently on my Matrix I have my XM antenna mounted on the outside of the car on the roof right behind the existing antenna (so it is mounted "right side up" in effect). But I am not familiar with the mounting options with the Camry. I do know that my father-in-law has the Camry Hybrid with XM and they mounted the XM antenna upside down in the back window and it works HORRIBLY!!! Cuts out 90% of the time. This is what I am worried about.

I would like to try and get the antenna outside and on the roof somehow. Anyone done this to date? Fotos??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MANY thanks wireless for the foto. And you get very good reception with this mount location??

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
CanadianDad said:
MANY thanks wireless for the foto. And you get very good reception with this mount location??
I would say it is OK. I am currently looking for a suitable external antenna because it isn't as good as I would like. Granted, I was the PM for XM's terrestrial repeater deployment and may be picker than most about the signal (knowing what is should be like in ideal situations). It cuts out on occasion in places that I know it shouldn't.

My preference would be something paint-able to look OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CanadianDad said:
I have the same standard XM install as Wireless' photo indicates and it works well, about as well as the external XM antenna we had in the previous car. Since we got the new car, I have also changed out an older XM antenna on my 2000 Camry that was mounted outside to one moiunted inside the car on the package shelf. This minimzes chance of damage to the antenna.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts