1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who currently have XM Radio in your Tacos:

1) Is it worth a yearly membership?
2) What receiver do you have (XM online is currently selling the Delphi SkyFi 2 Car Bundle for $79.99)
3) How do you have the receiver mounted
4) Are you using the Built-in FM wireless modulator or the USA Spec twin auxiliary input adapter from Crutchfield?

Sorry for all the questions, I read the earlier post about "How To Add XM Radio And An Ipod To The Stock Toyota Stereo (base, single CD stereo)" but just wanted to clarify some things before I buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
msuaftaco said:
For those of you who currently have XM Radio in your Tacos:

1) Is it worth a yearly membership?
2) What receiver do you have (XM online is currently selling the Delphi SkyFi 2 Car Bundle for $79.99)
3) How do you have the receiver mounted
4) Are you using the Built-in FM wireless modulator or the USA Spec twin auxiliary input adapter from Crutchfield?

Sorry for all the questions, I read the earlier post about "How To Add XM Radio And An Ipod To The Stock Toyota Stereo (base, single CD stereo)" but just wanted to clarify some things before I buy.

Thanks!
1. Hell yes it's worth it..to me that is...lol...my wife has it in her van and I love it...listen to it exclusivley when I drive it...no more cd's it seems. so many stations of music and sports...I am totally into it...
2. Wife has skyfi 2 which can pause and rewind for 30 minutes....awesome....I got her a personal xm for christmas this year and it stores 5 HOURS of stuff. She got me the Roady 2, which is the one i want to put in my tacoma...when it comes in next week...it's small and matches the dash. I have questions about how it will function too with the JBL etc. but I'm psyched up
3. Mounting my receiver with somehow somewhere on front...probably down below the a/c and heater controls...not sure yet since i dont have the truck yet. Have been looking at tons of pics though...probablly with the supplied swivel mount and double stick tape but not sure yet. I want it to be clean looking, so I want the power cord hidden too.
4. I am getting that usa spec thing from circuit city. I have the roady 2 in my 92 truck today, and it sounds like ass compared to wife's old skyfi 2 which uses the cassette deck adaptor thing. FM MOdulator sucks. XM sounds awesome when wired correctly....like a cd in my opinion. Still trying to figure this stuff out since until 2 weeks ago i thought the xm was going to be wired into my jbl head unit...salesman told me after like 3 months that it couldnt happen in the tacoma.

I love satellite radio...would love sirius im sure, but I got xm for major league baseball games and big ten sports. The music is awesome too. Could care less about howard stern.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Sirius all the way man......it rocks. But satellite radio is the way to go and it's well worth the yearly membership.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Definitely worth the money, IMO. Especially if you already have an account with them. Your second unit only costs about $6 more per month.

XM... Sirius... whatever. Niether is "better". It's all about what you prefer to listen to. I prefer XM's programming.

·
Registered
34 Posts
msuaftaco: I purchased the Delphi SkiFi receiver for my 2005 taco about a month ago and enjoy it very much. The display sreen shows you all the the typical info, and you can also program it to show updated sports scores, or stocks. The best feature is the remote control,... very handy!
As far as mounting goes, i found the acessories included with the receiver did not work well in the tacoma, so i went on-line & found a great custom fit bracket that fits perfect in the taco. The bracket was very easy to install, only 10 mins and looks real good!

Check out PRO-FIT INTERNATIONAL and click on to PRODUCTS. From there, you can find the install instructions with photos.

As far as who is better? I have done my homework,and would say XM & SIRIUS are very close, with XM having a distinct advantage with their selection of receivers!

I am currently using the FM wireless setup and it sounds like shit! Definately need to hook it up directly one way or another. Satellite rules!

Good luck eh!!

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flyfisher said:
msuaftaco: I purchased the Delphi SkiFi receiver for my 2005 taco about a month ago and enjoy it very much. The display sreen shows you all the the typical info, and you can also program it to show updated sports scores, or stocks. The best feature is the remote control,... very handy!
As far as mounting goes, i found the acessories included with the receiver did not work well in the tacoma, so i went on-line & found a great custom fit bracket that fits perfect in the taco. The bracket was very easy to install, only 10 mins and looks real good!

Check out PRO-FIT INTERNATIONAL and click on to PRODUCTS. From there, you can find the install instructions with photos.

As far as who is better? I have done my homework,and would say XM & SIRIUS are very close, with XM having a distinct advantage with their selection of receivers!

I am currently using the FM wireless setup and it sounds like shit! Definately need to hook it up directly one way or another. Satellite rules!

Good luck eh!!
You guys from Canada rock! The land where "Ice" was born! Thanks for the input, i'll check out the installation pics tonight.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flyfisher said:

Good luck eh!!
Which VSM bracket did you prefer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey msuaftaco, hows it going? I prefer the VSM LEGEND. I liked the look of it a lot, but what makes it so nice is that it swivels 30 degrees in every direction. Thats important because when mounted, the receiver will be sitting between the climate control and glove box. I have mine tilted all the way to the left and it lines up perfectly.
The location of my receiver is a little bit far to reach,but the remote control takes care of that no problem!
One more thing, i recomend getting the carry case for the receiver & remote if you take them into the house all the time like i do. Way to easy to drop them on the driveway. I know from experience!
I bought the carry case from MYRADIOSTORE.COM for 15 $ . The bracket was on sale for 34.95$ , reg 39.95$.
You can order both products from MYRADIOSTORE.COM to make it easy, and possibly save on shipping. Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My bad...I said I got the Roady 2 xm receiver...it's the Roady XT...silver...small....can change color of display to match the vehicle...good to hear there is option of the mounting bracket just for the tacoma.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
92and06TOYS said:
My bad...I said I got the Roady 2 xm receiver...it's the Roady XT...silver...small....can change color of display to match the vehicle...good to hear there is option of the mounting bracket just for the tacoma.
Hey Toys, did you have to buy the car kit separately? I take it you need the vehicle antenna mount for it to work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a new Sony in dash CD head unit waiting to be installed. I also have the XM setup that will plug into that directly - no FM Modulator. I have the Scosche dash kit to use with all of it as well. I got it for Christmas, and I've been waiting for some time to really dedicate towards getting it installed properly. Actually, I've already wired up the harnesses and everything. soldered and heat shrinked. Ready to roll. All I need to do now is tear the dash out, remove the head unit, run the XM stuff, and plug in to the new head unit. I'll be ready to roll!

I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out and snap some pics. My digital camera has had a manufacturer's recall on it, and it just went belly up the other day. I can't snap pictures unless I borrow someone's camera. Stinks too because I wanted to post up pics of my truck!

If you want a preview of XM, you can always find a buddy that has DirecTV. They now play XM on the music channels. Quite nice!

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC, 4x4
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds good AutoGhost, can't wait to see them. A buddy of mine is an XM subscriber and let me try the XM Radio on the web while in Iraq. Loved it. I've got a bid out on ebay for the SkyFi 2 reciever for a $1.00, let's hope it goes through!

·
Registered
78 Posts
msuaftaco said:
Hey Toys, did you have to buy the car kit separately? I take it you need the vehicle antenna mount for it to work?
Actually, the Roady XT comes with everything for the car...cig lighter power cord, antenna, whole bit...wife got it for me for Christmas...saw it advertised for $79 plus a $40 rebate = $39..what a deal. free activation through dec. 31 too! Now...since it seems that we can't control the xm through the steering wheel controls of stereo I guess I'll have to buy the "HOME" kit for the roady xt....so I can get the remote control for it. Lots of stations and lots of info available on satellite radio, and my arm's already tired reaching for the damn thing and I have it stuck in the a/c vent of my 92 truck while I wait for my 06. I'm thinking about sticking mine down low in the 06, so that will be a reach. Home kit is like $30 i think. I'm hoping to wire the power cord directly to get rid of the cig lighter thing...and I am getting that thing from Circuit city to plug into back of head unit. Planning to do it myself if I can figure out how to wire the freaking power cord....DIY thread here has me psychedup to take the dash apart to wire the stuff myself...just need to know how to splice or whatever to get it power without the ugly lighter thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got the XT also off ebay. $56.00 with a $25.00 rebate. Signed up yesterday online for free. I like it so far. I ran the antena out the slider and along the door under the sill plate and used the center vent mount until I figure something else out. FM modulator seems to work fine for me.

Soooo much music, I never new what I was missing...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts