Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts of people saying the AT in the 2010 XRS sometimes jolts on deceleration, anyone know what causes this? Is it a major concern?

I'm just in the process of trying to decide whether to buy the car and I'm stressing about its reliability.

Thanks!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,789 Posts
I've read several posts of people saying the AT in the 2010 XRS sometimes jolts on deceleration, anyone know what causes this? Is it a major concern?

I'm just in the process of trying to decide whether to buy the car and I'm stressing about its reliability.

Thanks!
Reliability of the Corolla is still excellent and better than most cars on the road. A few issues have been addressed by TSB's & recalls, no big deal to me. My Corolla has been excellent but I would recommend getting a 5-speed manual as you will enjoy driving the car a lot more. :thumbsup: There are many TN members that wish they had purchased the manual vs the automatic trans. ;)

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts

Thanks!
Reliability of the Corolla is still excellent and better than most cars on the road. A few issues have been addressed by TSB's & recalls, no big deal to me. My Corolla has been excellent but I would recommend getting a 5-speed manual as you will enjoy driving the car a lot more. :thumbsup: There are many TN members that wish they had purchased the manual vs the automatic trans. ;)
Please for the love of God get the MANUAL!!! I have beaten myself up because I made the mistake of getting the automatic! Yes I have the S and its a 4 speed while the xrs gets the tip tronic 5 speed...but trust us and get the manual! even if someone else has to drive the car and dont know how to drive a stick, TEACH THEM! I honestly hate automatics and dont understand why people like autos

·
Registered
2009 XRS
38 Posts
Everyone else has told you the truth. Get the manual. I've had my 2009 XRS since July of '08 and I have had ZERO problems with the car. I love driving it and has proven very reliable thus far in all types of weather. Keep a solid routine with all maintenance and you should be good to go. Good luck with the decision and don't let any of the media or people chatter psych you out.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
x9921349124 for the manual. i wish i had one right now. auto is no fun, so freaking boring that ive come to hate driving.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S!
508 Posts
x9921349124 for the manual. i wish i had one right now. auto is no fun, so freaking boring that ive come to hate driving.
TRUST THIS KID.

Auto S = NO Fun. V_V

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
I would agree, I would hate my Corolla more if I didn't get the manual. But the problem for most Corolla buyers is that stick models are slighty more rare, especially the XRS stick. However, you may be able to find a used XRS stick since many were produced earlier on when the vehicle came out in 2008.
For some reason, they are rare in the US...but they are everywhere in Canada.

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
LOL @ everyone's comments.

The guy asks about the XRS AT having a jolting action when stopping and it turned into a debate about AT vs. MT...

What if the guy doesn't know stick? What if it doesn't make sense to buy a MT for him?

Buying a MT in an area where you are in stop and go traffic grid lock doesn't make sense.

As for the OPs original question, I think they fixed that problem by the 2010MY.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
LOL @ everyone's comments.

The guy asks about the XRS AT having a jolting action when stopping and it turned into a debate about AT vs. MT...

What if the guy doesn't know stick? What if it doesn't make sense to buy a MT for him?

Buying a MT in an area where you are in stop and go traffic grid lock doesn't make sense.

As for the OPs original question, I think they fixed that problem by the 2010MY.
Looks like YOU are the one trying to make this a debate. Everybody else simply stated that the manual was a better option for a guy that is contemplating a purchase.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I know what you're talking about and it's not something I'd be worried about. I had a 09 XRS AT that built in 1st month of production in 2008. (untill I wrecked it). When doing a moderate to heavy braking action (going down a moderate hill), it feels like the transmission kicks down a gear to provide additional braking (sort of like a manual transmission downshift).

I've been told this was a safety feature for fuel system when braking. I actuall liked the feature since it felt like the transmission was helping me brake as well.

I was told that it was tuned and "toned" down in later built 2009 and all 2010 models.

FYI - I liked the Corolla XRS so much that even after I wrecked the 2009 XRS...I bought a 2010 XRS. :)

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Looks like YOU are the one trying to make this a debate. Everybody else simply stated that the manual was a better option for a guy that is contemplating a purchase.
Oop. True true.

I would agree, I would hate my Corolla more if I didn't get the manual. But the problem for most Corolla buyers is that stick models are slighty more rare, especially the XRS stick. However, you may be able to find a used XRS stick since many were produced earlier on when the vehicle came out in 2008.
Indeed! We were very lucky when my parents and I purchased my first S! We were lucky to find it in white + a moon roof :thumbsdown:

When it came down to buying another car after the S got totaled, I'm sure I was still down with another Corolla :thumbsup:

We found a 2 Xrs's in Houston, Both white! Buuut. One was a Auto and one was a Manual. Luckily the Manual had a moon roof, JBL, XM Satelite Capability, and BT Capability! I thought it was just a lucky find!

Oooh but overall. If you going to buy a Corolla, get a manual :D

My friend has a S, and he says it so boring to drive. And tbh, I wouldn't see why a person would buy the Sportiest version of the Corolla, and get it in a Automatic :thumbsdow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I have no interest in a MT. I have one currently but do a ton of city driving and i find it annoying to have to be constantly shifting gears.

Anyway, I am really hesitating because of this issue. I have read a ton of consumer complaints about this issue with the 02-09 Camry. Sounds like toyota never did offer any real solution. Think this may be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to buy a car that has well documented issues.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I have no interest in a MT. I have one currently but do a ton of city driving and i find it annoying to have to be constantly shifting gears.

Anyway, I am really hesitating because of this issue. I have read a ton of consumer complaints about this issue with the 02-09 Camry. Sounds like toyota never did offer any real solution. Think this may be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to buy a car that has well documented issues.
Buddy, You are from edmonton too? So as me and knitrdier09 on the forum. Edmonton is the perfect place for manual cars, there are hardly any traffic when compare to other big cities, for example our rival: Calgary. Just go take a test drive on the auto version of the car, then come out one night and we will show you ours, then you can do the direct comparison.

The media has made the Toyota issue sounds and looks like hell. But in fact, if you do a deep research on other cars, you will be surprise how many info on recalls that you will find on other cars. Take a look with Ford and Honda.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,789 Posts

I've not seen a lot of complaints about what you seem to be worried about. I just get a kick out of people that complain about a manual in city driving. People just seem to be getting more lazy when it comes to driving. I never even think about shifting even in bumper to bumper traffic, I just do it. :facepalm: Just like I don't think about walking & chewing gum at the same time. :eek:

And how much city traffic is there in Edmonton? :facepalm: It's not like LA traffic. :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Buddy, You are from edmonton too? So as me and knitrdier09 on the forum. Edmonton is the perfect place for manual cars, there are hardly any traffic when compare to other big cities, for example our rival: Calgary. Just go take a test drive on the auto version of the car, then come out one night and we will show you ours, then you can do the direct comparison.

The media has made the Toyota issue sounds and looks like hell. But in fact, if you do a deep research on other cars, you will be surprise how many info on recalls that you will find on other cars. Take a look with Ford and Honda.
Yeah, I'm an Edmonton boy. I spend so much time driving through the city, and, truthfully, I just hate driving a stick. I actually hate driving period...lol... but its a neccessity. The dealer only has the one I want in auto, they actually brought it in specifically for me(Without being asked...long story). I have read a ton of complaints on carcomplaints.com and various other sites about the tranny and toyota's inability to find a fix. I just don't want to be unhappy. If I wanted to take a gamble, I would buy the current accord coupe (its more visually appealing anyway.)

Don't want to sound like a whiner, just my first new car purchase and I don't need to frustration of tranny problems. My last car was a 1999 civic and it ran like a dream. Had 240K on it and never did anything but scheduled maintenance.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,789 Posts
My last car was a 1999 civic and it ran like a dream. Had 240K on it and never did anything but scheduled maintenance.
Just like every Toyota I've owned in the last 30 years! :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
Yeah, I'm an Edmonton boy. I spend so much time driving through the city, and, truthfully, I just hate driving a stick. I actually hate driving period...lol... but its a neccessity. The dealer only has the one I want in auto, they actually brought it in specifically for me(Without being asked...long story). I have read a ton of complaints on carcomplaints.com and various other sites about the tranny and toyota's inability to find a fix. I just don't want to be unhappy. If I wanted to take a gamble, I would buy the current accord coupe (its more visually appealing anyway.)

Don't want to sound like a whiner, just my first new car purchase and I don't need to frustration of tranny problems. My last car was a 1999 civic and it ran like a dream. Had 240K on it and never did anything but scheduled maintenance.
Personally i think the current gen Accord coupe is not appealing at all. The front end looks like Honda's truck, the Ridgeline. Anyway, another guy on the forum who lives in Edmonton as well, owns an auto XRS, trouble free for him. If you are not really confident enough to go for a Toyota, may as well, stick back to your old liking, go back to a Honda, but just not the Accord coupe...haha.

I think Honda's cars are way over price. The fit is a good little car, but they are just asking too much money for it.

Little info on pricing, based on the same class of little japanese hatchback:

Nissan Versa (top trim, no added option) $17398 MSRP
Toyota Yaris (top trim RS, no added option) $19555 MSRP
Honda Fit (top trim sport, no added option) $21375 MSRP

1 - 20 of 44 Posts