Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about purchasing a new Camry and give my beloved 2013 SE to my son. This will be the 4th Camry. I really want heated leather seats and a blind spot monitor so I’m only considering the XSE and XLE models since those are the only two models that include both of these features. I didn't notice much difference in the way these two models drove during a test drive so I'm having difficulty making a decision. I'm leaning towards the XSE because I prefer the exterior styling but I’m concerned that it will have a bumpy ride once it gets older, like it has with my 2013 SE. When I test drove one, it seems to drive a lot smoother than my 2013 SE did when it was new, and reviews state that the 8th generation SE/XSE has a smoother ride than the previous generations. I'm curious to know if any 2018 owners on here have noticed a deterioration in ride quality as the car ages? I love my 2013 SE but the bumpiness of the ride really bothers me when I’m driving on the interstate or driving down a bumpy road in town. If the ride quality of the 8th generation XSE/SE deteriorates with age like my 2013 has, I think I will go with the XLE and replace the wheels so it looks more sporty. I keep my Camrys a long time so I want to make sure I buy a new one that I will be happy with long term.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,327 Posts
  • XSE
    • Sporty luxery
  • XLE
    • Luxery

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m thinking about purchasing a new Camry and give my beloved 2013 SE to my son. This will be the 4th Camry. I really want heated leather seats and a blind spot monitor so I’m only considering the XSE and XLE models since those are the only two models that include both of these features. I didn't notice much difference in the way these two models drove during a test drive so I'm having difficulty making a decision. I'm leaning towards the XSE because I prefer the exterior styling but I’m concerned that it will have a bumpy ride once it gets older, like it has with my 2013 SE. When I test drove one, it seems to drive a lot smoother than my 2013 SE did when it was new, and reviews state that the 8th generation SE/XSE has a smoother ride than the previous generations. I'm curious to know if any 2018 owners on here have noticed a deterioration in ride quality as the car ages? I love my 2013 SE but the bumpiness of the ride really bothers me when I’m driving on the interstate or driving down a bumpy road in town. If the ride quality of the 8th generation XSE/SE deteriorates with age like my 2013 has, I think I will go with the XLE and replace the wheels so it looks more sporty. I keep my Camrys a long time so I want to make sure I buy a new one that I will be happy with long term.
I think your major concern is ride quality so I will not talk about options. The XSE/SE is slightly lowered and has a sport tuned suspension. From what I hear, the day to day ride difference is negligible. You will only notice it when cornering. You mentioned about buying an XLE and then getting new wheels. You could also buy the XSE and buy 18" (vs stock 19") wheels for better ride quality (maintaining the XSE look). Give the XSE wheels to your son.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think your major concern is ride quality so I will not talk about options. The XSE/SE is slightly lowered and has a sport tuned suspension. From what I hear, the day to day ride difference is negligible. You will only notice it when cornering. You mentioned about buying an XLE and then getting new wheels. You could also buy the XSE and buy 18" (vs stock 19") wheels for better ride quality (maintaining the XSE look). Give the XSE wheels to your son.
I thought all Camry’s were the same height, only the TRD version was a bit lower? But you’re right about the sport tuned suspension and the 19s being a harsher ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I thought all Camry’s were the same height, only the TRD version was a bit lower? But you’re right about the sport tuned suspension and the 19s being a harsher ride.

SE models might be a hair lower and slightly stiffer.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I don't have exact lengths but...
SE/XSE are lower than LE/XLE
TRD are lower than SE/SXE

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I don't have exact lengths but...
SE/XSE are lower than LE/XLE
TRD are lower than SE/SXE
It's possible the SE's are lower but that could just be the SE body kit.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,094 Posts
The 2020 toyota camry brochure has it all. https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2020/camry_ebrochure.pdf

XLE and XSE have the same height and width, 56.9in and 72.4in. The TRD height is shorter by 0.6in and width is wider by 0.7in.

Length for the XLE is 192.1in. XSE is 192.7in. TRD is 194.6in.

Ground clearance is the same for all trims including the TRD, 5.7in.

2020 camry1.png

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
572 Posts
Lower profile on the tires (sidewall of 55 v. 50 v. 45, etc.) will give a harder ride, there's less rubber to cushion against bumps, potholes, etc.
Also, as a result, wheels more prone to impact damage, & bending.
TANSTAAFL

·
Registered
112 Posts
We shopped lot of cars. The Toyota dealer was glad to let us drive both the XLE and the SXE. Both cars had a stable somewhat sporty ride with the SXE just a bit firmer, but still not harsh. The 19' wheels look better to people who care and notice these things. I prefer 18" because of replacement cost, and possible better pothole durability, and smoother ride.
But we wanted the red interior. The 19" wheels did not feel too harsh and I really liked the tight handling. It now has 12500 enjoyable miles on it. It gets a lot of compliments.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
108 Posts
We shopped lot of cars. The Toyota dealer was glad to let us drive both the XLE and the SXE. Both cars had a stable somewhat sporty ride with the SXE just a bit firmer, but still not harsh. The 19' wheels look better to people who care and notice these things. I prefer 18" because of replacement cost, and possible better pothole durability, and smoother ride.
But we wanted the red interior. The 19" wheels did not feel too harsh and I really liked the tight handling. It now has 12500 enjoyable miles on it. It gets a lot of compliments.
That red interior is magic. Our dealer only had black interiors with Wind Chill Pearl White but he did find a car with red interior but it was two states away. We said that was what we wanted. So they did a dealer transfer and we got our red interior. And we LOVE it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
That red interior is magic. Our dealer only had black interiors with Wind Chill Pearl White but he did find a car with red interior but it was two states away. We said that was what we wanted. So they did a dealer transfer and we got our red interior. And we LOVE it!
The red interior is one thing that I find absolutely amazing on the new Camry. I'm more of a black interior type since I prefer a "luxury" look as opposed to a sporty one, but my buddy has an F-Sport IS with the red interior and I'm glad they're expanding the catalog for the cars that have the red interior.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The RED interior looks great

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE
108 Posts
The red interior is one thing that I find absolutely amazing on the new Camry. I'm more of a black interior type since I prefer a "luxury" look as opposed to a sporty one, but my buddy has an F-Sport IS with the red interior and I'm glad they're expanding the catalog for the cars that have the red interior.
I'm amazed by the number of people who tell me they've never seen a car with red interior before. That shows how long it's been since cars were offered with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts