Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
Thought you were getting a cosmos racing one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thought you were getting a cosmos racing one.
I was, until I saw how much shipping from UK was, found this almost brand new one on craigslist, pickedit up for 80, it's on sale right now on the dc website but they won't ship to california

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
I was, until I saw how much shipping from UK was, found this almost brand new one on craigslist, pickedit up for 80, it's on sale right now on the dc website but they won't ship to california
Dang. So the $80 CAI is more like $200? Smh.

Tell your gov thanks for making it harder to have some fun. Lol.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Dang. So the $80 CAI is more like $200? Smh.

Tell your gov thanks for making it harder to have some fun. Lol.
Exactly, it comes out to be the same price as injen. Yeah ca smog laws can be headache. At least the SRI is pretty simple to swap in and out

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never wanted an intake cause they're so damn noisy and not much gains, but apparently, according to the person who did my ECU reflash they make a noticeable difference on the 2zz.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
For science. It got loud enough to make the go pro mic muffle the sound which kinda sucks. Takes away from the sound of an angry swarm of bees with chainsaws.

allegedly intakes can create some noticeable gains. I've read threads that suggest the throttle cable equipped variants of the 2zz respond better to bolt ons, ideally with a tune. I bought it for lift noise, makes it a little more fun for me

·
Registered
67 Posts
Although I don't speed, in other ways I tend to push the boundaries of what would be considered legal by the traffic laws established by my state government. For this reason, I'd rather keep my car quiet to avoid any public scrutiny of my driving habits.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update. Installed trd CAI. I need 3in->2.75in 45° couplers. Its juryrigged right now but works. Had to run a 45° coupler at the filter to clear the secondary air pump. I loosened the 10mm pump fasteners and moved it slightly.

So far impressions vs DC SRI
Its quieter at least in the cabin
I feel torque delivery is smoother at 4k onwards. Lift engine tone sounds deeper.
Car idles smoother/easier to start from 1st w/lightweight flywheel.

DC sri induced exhaust growl/rumbke at slow speeds in 2nd gear. Lift sounds like what happens when you kick a beehive if the bees had chainsaws. Torque delivery felt a little more choppy but nice in lift.

I may run the sri in the rainy times and cai dry. Or maybe run the cai bypass.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nice! My Injen CAI seems to provide better power delivery across the board in both low and high. The stock air box is like a muffled dog, sloppy to say the least.

I find it better overall especially when ambient temps are above 80-100. It shines most below 70. Whines out to 6k with vvti like an eager beaver. Timing kicks in almost every time if you are aggressive with the pedal. This is on the 1zz w/ lightened crank pulley and dc exhaust headers. Still can’t figure out why I can’t get up to 6.4k tho like it used to.

Plus I like that the sound echoes on the walls. Especially on the driver side you can hear the suction once you press the pedal. Very responsive! Just the sound of air rushing past a cone filter. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
TOYOTANATION! IM ALIVE! I've been MIA, moved my family into a house and put all my focus and attention into moving and setting up my garage. Finally have a space to work. Learned a bunch of new DIY skills. I also caught Covid so that put me out for like 10 days, but So far ive,
1) put up drywall and insulation and painted it white
2) deep cleaned, etched and coated the floor in epoxy paint.
3) set up my home gym
4) shop lighting
I still need to move all my tools in from my parents house, but now look forward to focusing back on the xrs. Motor is coming out by spring for a refresh.

Does anyone have tips on best way to depressurize fuel system and how to disconnect the fuel lines properly?

I mainly need to change the timing chain cover gasket, but while its out, should I replace the timing components if I'm not experiencing issues? (Is it a if it ain't broke dont fix it situation?)
Should I replace crankshaft bearings/journals? (Not currently experiencing issues)
As well as the head gasket?
Motor has about 207k on it now and I would rather have the motor in/out once.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks again TN!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Welcome back! Glad your making moves cause your garage looks fantastic. I especially like the lighting there. It’s clean! Looking forward to your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Guys, just looking for some pointers, I feel confident I can get the motor out, if I'm not experiencing any head gasket issues, should I bother changing it? If I do, is it necessary to have the head and block machined ?
I've never messed with timing before, but I purchased new exhaust cam and crank gears as well as chain guides and chain. Anyone have tips that will make my life easier?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
Guys, just looking for some pointers, I feel confident I can get the motor out, if I'm not experiencing any head gasket issues, should I bother changing it? If I do, is it necessary to have the head and block machined ?
I've never messed with timing before, but I purchased new exhaust cam and crank gears as well as chain guides and chain. Anyone have tips that will make my life easier?
Highly recommend doing the HG if you're pulling the motor. This way you won't have to worry about it for a while. On the plus side, you'll clean out all the crud from the head. Get restored power out of the 2zz.

My brother had a vibe gt that went 270+ before needing a HG. He opted just to machine the head and new gasket. I summize that since he didn't do a full rebuild, his car died a year later. Went to a charity.

Reactions: XtRaSlo

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Also, a few things.
to depressurize the fuel lines, is the best way to remove the fuel pump fuse and run til it dies ?
And whats the best way to address power steering before motor removal? Remove pump? Or just disconnect lines. Are the fittings one time use only? And do I need a special tool to remove p/s and fuel line fittings ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks for all replies, some progress today,
got all the fluids drained, harness disconnected , axles out, ac compressor out. Just have p/s pump, downpipe bolts and motor mounts and should be ready to come out

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Installed the bilstein b12 pro kit designated for an 05 corolla xrs. Had to bore out strut holes to accommodate larger matrix bolts. Used a stepped drill bit to achieve proper size.
Other than that fitment was on point. Paired with new shock mounts and tophats by KYB

Very satisfied with the height of the car. Not low at all by my definition. Very smooth, high speed bumps get soaked up and sweeping turns feel good. Highly recommend this kit to anyone looking for improved handling. No fuckboi stance/drop

41 - 60 of 64 Posts