Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so after making my CAI with mandrel pipes, i feel confident enough with my welding to make a Ypipe.

CAI thread can be viewed here

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t47141.html

look at this piece, the flattened area's cross section cant be any greater than 3.14^2 inches from what i can see,
we will all find out when i cut it

made this y colector today

2 x 2 inch in
2.5 inch out

havent cut anything yet,

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,773 Posts
I have one in the works right now in 2 sizes 2.5inch and 3inch with test pipe or cat.BTW be carefull how low that sucker hangs because I already lost my test unit when I hit a pot hole lol ..War zone here im telling you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

update

here is sections of the old ypipe cut up

^ that is the flattened section, you can see that the spot where i cut it has a diameter of 2 inchs, so i would predict that the narrowest part (4 inches above the cut) is about 1.75 inches in diameter.:thumbdown

^ This is the collector section... its got wierd flutes in it.

now the good stuff

^ most of the joints are only tacked on, will finish up probably tm after work.

Straight through FLOWWWWWW :lol:

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Very nice, now make some headers too :thumbup: :D
I've been thinking about one of those little welders, how are you liking it?

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
how did you learn to weld? i am very interested in learning!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice work man. Let us know how much you gain! I am going to perform this mod also (not myself, custom from a shop with a mandrel bender) along with some custom headers. Pretty soon here Im gonna p&p everything and rebuild with an import performance kit aswell as bigger injecters/fuel pump/msd ignition etc etc the works. A turbo setup is certainly in my future but I wanna see what kind of gains I get first from everything else first. Keep up the good work.

·
Grenaded piston
6,588 Posts
Luckynumber5 said:
how did you learn to weld? i am very interested in learning!
The best way to learn is to take a welding class.

I took welding in college. One of the best classes I've ever taken. :thumbup:

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
i gotta try this, should i start with mig or tig? i think i remember a friend saying tig was easiest to start with but mig makes a better weld or something

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
dude, thats awsome, and yes, its unbelievable that toyota would make such a shitty piece on one of thier cars...

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,773 Posts
Camry and performance never crossed toyotas mind just simple mods like these can give good power gains and nice sound too.BTW nice job your hired lol ..

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Are you going to put in a test pipe too? Or do you have emissions to worry about?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts