Toyota Nation Forum banner

Y-Pipe Project..... 3vz-fe

20K views 102 replies 23 participants last post by  Toysrme 
Tony the Tiger said:
Those flutes inside the stock Y-pipe is for equalizing the pressure between the two banks... Since the pipe for the front bank is so much longer than the rear bank, the flutes are there to equalize the pressure on both pipes so that the front bank won't get choked at higher RPM's.

The collector looks good on the inside :thumbup: But I have a suggestion. You should consider remaking that Y-pipe to become equal length. Most of the Y-pipes on the Maxima that I have seen were all close to being equal length, and that is main key to the drastic power improvements.

If you have seen EricSol's first version of the Y-pipe for the 1MZ, it wasn't equal length and it actually lost power at certain RPM's and only gained a couple up top. After EricSol re-made the Y-pipe to close to equal length (the ones now available from JP Performance), it gained 17 WHP I believe.
whoa, sweet! 17hp is a very significant gain in power. i didnt realiize how much it mattered about the equal lengths...

jon

wontonjohnny said:
man remaping it to make equal lengths is gonna be freaken hard.... will have to pretty much start over.
yea man, now it makes sense to me why toyota would reverse the one pipe. at first i was just like wtf, toyota!

after hearing this wonton, do you think youve gained anything at all? or do you think it was "mind hp"? :)

jon

also, how hard would it be to set up a TRUE dual exhaust?? having 2 mufflers already has got me thinking a bit... how can one use 2 o2 sensors in combination with eachother... thus ruling out the need for a ypipe at all? wouldnt this increase horsepower substantially as well, if it could work?

jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.