Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Limi
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been gone from here for awhile. - 08 Limited - stock tires Bridgestone Dueller HL400 245/55/R19 - 37K could only use my caliper 15/100 ?? anyway. Going to Texas next week, by the time we get back we will be at the 40K mark and most likly in need of tires.

Local Discount tires just quoted me $851 Out the door cost for a new set of same tires.

been searching and not really finding all the big of a choice on this suv...

any NEW info out there that might be of help..

I am in Turlock Ca "Modesto area"

No winter driving.... 90% highway

Thanks

·
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd
377 Posts
been gone from here for awhile. - 08 Limited - stock tires Bridgestone Dueller HL400 245/55/R19 - 37K could only use my caliper 15/100 ?? anyway. Going to Texas next week, by the time we get back we will be at the 40K mark and most likly in need of tires.
Local Discount tires just quoted me $851 Out the door cost for a new set of same tires.
been searching and not really finding all the big of a choice on this suv...
any NEW info out there that might be of help..
There have been quite a few switching to the Toyo Open Country H/T with good results. Just noticed Toyo has a new tire out for crossovers. It is available in our size. It is the Toyo Versado CUV. It is Toyo's tire with the least rolling resistance for better mileage. Reviews also claim it is quiet.

Peter

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Limi
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There have been quite a few switching to the Toyo Open Country H/T with good results. Just noticed Toyo has a new tire out for crossovers. It is available in our size. It is the Toyo Versado CUV. It is Toyo's tire with the least rolling resistance for better mileage. Reviews also claim it is quiet.

Peter

Just got back from local Discount Tires..

they quoted $851 for the Dueler and about $100 more for the Hankook w/65K mile guarantee.

My tread dept came out to 4/32 and even - I am off to Austin Texas so, I will be at 41K within three weeks - I will measure my tread depth again when I get home. No other trips planned for the remaing of 10 - will look for good sales..

to put out a Grand for a set of tires just kills me - retired and Cheap, lol

shit in highschool I did even pay a grand for a car, lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
Go to a small private shop instead of a chain store. I've just found a small place in San Diego that will put better tires on my HL for $150-$200 less than crappy tires at chain stores. They do want me to pay cash or debit so they don't have to pay the 5% transaction fee to the credit card processing company.

Small places like that work harder to earn your business as they don't have a location in every part of the city and try to hard to attract customers.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
I've always gotten my best deals from Discount Tire Direct or Tirerack. DTD usually offers a competitive low price and free shipping. Tirerack will sometimes throw out a great deal in that when you go to their web site leave a contact notice for a set of tires that you're interested in. After a few months time they see that your sale is hanging fire and they'll e-mail you a deep discount to make the sale. I just have a local tire shop do the mounting, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Highlander Limi
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always gotten my best deals from Discount Tire Direct or Tirerack. DTD usually offers a competitive low price and free shipping. Tirerack will sometimes throw out a great deal in that when you go to their web site leave a contact notice for a set of tires that you're interested in. After a few months time they see that your sale is hanging fire and they'll e-mail you a deep discount to make the sale. I just have a local tire shop do the mounting, etc.

OK, great price and free shipping, Now who will mount and balance and how much??

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
OK, great price and free shipping, Now who will mount and balance and how much??
That you've got to find yourself. :lol: I admit I've got a personal mechanic who does excellent work and charges great prices. Hopefully you'd be able--through word of mouth--to find a similar mechanic in your area. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
420 Posts
As I said above - for me, the local shop gave better price. For example I've just ordered General Grabber HT-S for my Highlander for $600 installed, balanced, with tax, disposal fee for old tires, lifetime rotation, lifetime balance, free flat repair.

TireRack price is $528 + $62 shipping = $590 before mounting, balancing, disposal fee and no free perks.
Discount Tire Direct is slightly better, but still won't be as good.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Tire Rack will also arrange for local mounting and balancing...

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,702 Posts
As I said above - for me, the local shop gave better price. For example I've just ordered General Grabber HT-S for my Highlander for $600 installed, balanced, with tax, disposal fee for old tires, lifetime rotation, lifetime balance, free flat repair.

TireRack price is $528 + $62 shipping = $590 before mounting, balancing, disposal fee and no free perks.
Discount Tire Direct is slightly better, but still won't be as good.
What's your California location again? That's a great deal....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is in San Diego. I've just got back from them with new tires installed on my car. The car got quieter over the bumps, but haven't noticed much difference otherwise yet (only put maybe 10 miles on these).

If anyone wants to check them out :
San Diego Tire and Wheel Outlet
4596 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92115
www.sdtireandwheel.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts