Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Blizzard White
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for most of this year my 2011 V6 has had a transmission issue that the local dealer can't fix:

When the car is cold, like sitting in the driveway over night, it's really super sluggish/hesitant to shift.. the worst of it happened last week when the wife said she put it in reverse to back out of the driveway only to have it not move at all (shifting back in park, waiting a minute, then going back in R worked)

Otherwise being within a few miles from the house it likes to stay in first, makes a really hard shift into second and then hard again into third once on the main road..

They had it for 2-3 days back in April to try to duplicate it but because they saw no CEL's or Traction indicator lights they wouldn't do anything

Yesterday she was driving it again, sitting at a stop light a few miles from the house and the A/C stopped blowing cold after hearing a "whirr" from under the engine that she has never heard before.. when she got home and told me this, I started it back up and put my A/C temperature stick in the center vent and was able to get it to blow cold..

Anyways, called the dealer up the road, brought it in last night and said keep it through the week until they can resolve these issue, although I am not holding my breath.... to be honest the service agent seemed pretty disinterested in both issues even suggesting that we are using the triptronic feature by accident (geez, give me a break)

between dealing with 4 recalls on the vehicle and the above, I'm not so impressed with Toyota service at all

·
Registered
09 Venza
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Blizzard White
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here is what's going on:

A/C issues: they blamed leaves in the blower motor, pretty lame excuse, but we'll see I suppose

Transmission issue: they couldn't duplicate it (of course)... I'm going in the morning to see if I can get it to do it

and since the Toyota gods hate me, the dealer informed me the radiator had a hairline crack in it

When I brought up warranty to replace it, I was countered with the fact the warranty is for 36,000 miles and mines at 37,200.... I'm going to fight that as I got it with 4,900 "demo" miles on it and was told the warranty started from that point, not mile #1, but that remains to be seen

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hear ya...I had the VSC/ABS warning light prob..took it to Toyota (Not interested) .. So my wife had a fender bender and got the ding fixed on Insurance. The company that fixed the ding "knew folks at Toyota" and got it fixed at the same time. Never really found out what the prob was (thanks Toyota) but it has been fine since then (maybe 6 months). Toyota basically refused to troubleshoot the problem when I took it in (even though it was in the warranty period).

SHAME ON YOU TOYOTA.

·
Premium Member
2011 Blizzard White
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went up to the dealer this morning and the mechanic who looked at it yesterday got in and drove with me in it this morning

Transmission issue: OF COURSE it didn't do it with him driving and me in the car.... he said flat out that he believed me that it happens, but of course he can't fix what he can't see wrong

A/C: said the system is prone to getting clogged up with outside debris

Radiator: showed me right where it was leaking from when he saw it (it wasn't leaking at the time this morning)

All in all, spent like 45 minutes with the mechanic (some of that talking about boosted Hondas since he saw what car I drove up there and asked me about it) and he restored my faith in that they do want to take care of things.....

·
Premium Member
2011 Blizzard White
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update on this a year later:

so the wife complained about the transmission issue again some more a few weeks back, including her pulling out of her station and almost getting broad sided because the Venza wouldn't go when the gas was pressed

so brought it back to the dealer and it spent the night there to start with (to get cold) and then the next morning I went back up there and took a tech for a ride with it ice cold... sure enough the transmission showed the issue (no acceleration like the transmission was hanging up, then it would literally snap into gear and go, i almost chirped the tires when it caught)

it spent a few days there and their "master tech" (that's what they told me) spent a few days with it running diagnostics and what not

called me a few days later and told me he completely reset the ECU because it had learned some bad habits.... I was skeptical of this "solution" but sure enough we have had the vehicle back for a week+ now and it's been fine.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts