Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
96 Toyota Corolla
1996 Toyota Corolla
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here at the toyota dealership that i work for we use ServiceRite products. about 2 months ago my boss went to some toyota thing in charlotte motor speedway and the guys from ServiceRite demonstrated their headlight restoration kit. it comes with

2 sheets of 600 grit sand paper
2 lint free paper towels
2 alcohol pads
a pair of rubber gloves
and 1 bottle of their magic spray

now to me this is a great alternative to buying new headlights. for our customers, parts and labor is about 70 bucks. how much it is to the customer for them to do it themselves i dont know. i know employee price is around 30. any who, here is a video of me doing a headlight (one that i took off my car. everyone knows how yellow they were) so you can get a feel of how its done and what the end results look like if you do it right. also, i forgot to mention that service right guarantees the finish for 3 years. whether or not it actually lasts that long i dont know.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
739 Posts
I'm going to get parts dept.to get some of those. If they haven't already.
I put on one of the ServiceRite steering racks today. Nice piece of work.
Good products from SET.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla
588 Posts

Headlights looked like that until I started working at a shop and restored them my self.
I think about six months ago.

Those are them as of a week or so ago
Still look brand new.

We use 3M's kit.
Not sure the name of it, but it works pretty good.

·
96 Toyota Corolla
1996 Toyota Corolla
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used to work at a shop that used the 3m kit. ive used it on several of my own cars. i dont like it cause there are too many steps, takes too long, and your headlights WILL be yellow again. thats why i decided to share this with you all. and this method doesnt even require power tools.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla
588 Posts
Those wheels look great on there!
Thanks. Cleaned them up since then. Completely flush with the fender :D
i used to work at a shop that used the 3m kit. ive used it on several of my own cars. i dont like it cause there are too many steps, takes too long, and your headlights WILL be yellow again. thats why i decided to share this with you all. and this method doesnt even require power tools.
Nice.
How long til they turn yellow again?
And yeah its too many steps, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't want to insult this kit at all. The results look great. I personally use the 3M kit. For the people that say 3M turns yellow again, yes it does if you don't put a coat of plastic sealer on it. You'll notice that the ServiceRite kit includes "1 bottle of their magic spray" which is basically a plastic sealer. The basic 3M kit doesn't include it but if you spend just a few more dollars on the better 3M kit it includes the tape and a plastic sealer.

Basic kit: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333805101&sr=8-1[/ame]

Basic kit + tape: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-39014-Lens-Renewal-Kit/dp/B002UJ13QO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333805101&sr=8-3[/ame]

Basic kit + tape + protectant: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-39045-Lens-Renewal-Protectant/dp/B004GFTC0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333805101&sr=8-2[/ame]

Here is a picture of my headlights after using the 3M kit and plastic sealer. The lens are so bright and glossy they catch alot of reflections when looking at them. (sorry I forgot to take a before picture)

·
96 Toyota Corolla
1996 Toyota Corolla
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually ordered that 3rd kit you posted from amazon a few years ago to use on my girlfriends brothers prelude and her dads tacoma and with both vehicles the headlights were back to the way they were in about a year. I've been there and done that. I have personally had issues with all their restore kits and am currently using the servicerite kit. I guess we will know how well it works in a few years... Or months. Who knows.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,383 Posts
I'll add that the Sylvania kit gets a thumbs down. Even though ti has sealer, it isnt any good. I did three sets of headlights and all of them hazed within 6 months. My van doesnt get used much and they were just as bad as the corolla that gets driven a lot.

I'd like to see the long term on the servicerite kit.

-SP

·
Registered
41 Posts
I applied 3 coats of the Diamondite over three days after the initial 3M resurfacing. It's been ~6 months and I haven't reapplied yet. You saw the pics I posted. I plan on reapplying every year unless I notice any wear earlier. If you find something else that lasts years, I would prefer a "set and forget" method.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.