Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if yellow headlights would be legal in pennsylvania? Just wondering cuz with this Trueno front end swap I got for my ae92, the headlights are yellow.. it's like the regular sealed bulb type .. except it isn't sealed bulb.. it has a sealed bulb inside of the glass casing.. it's weird.. and it kicks ass.. I'm just doubting that in PA yellow headlights would be lega. It seems obvious enough, they light really well and if you ask me they show things up a LOT better than the standard headlights... so they can't be legal.. anything that improves driving isn't legal it seems lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
that's sweet that you got it... i think it should be legal b/c some old gen lexus have it but there should be a law book in your local library concernin the light situation... and if it states that you can have it... copy it and put it in your glove box...

-pat

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, well I was looking at a PA code website and I found shit that said, headlight color shall not differ from what is listed in tables II-IV.. yet.. i have no fuckin clue where Tables II-IV are! lol... I'm just gonna call an inspection garage or something.. cuz I also need to find out of it's legal or not to have a JDM bumper on.. ya know since there is no metal in the bumper.. it's a front bumper.. so it may not be legal since it has no metal backing.. but I gotsa find out.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just got the scoop from the garage I take my car to be inspected..

Yellow headlights are illegal.. but he said after inspection put em back in.. He also said those HID bulbs are illegal too, because they are to bright. But no one ever gets pulled over for that.
Which is bullshit, u can have yellow foglights.. yet u can't have yellow headlights.. makes no sense.

I can totally understand not having blue or green or red LEDs shit like that.. but when it comes to headlights.. they get a bit rediculous. Plus these yellow bulbs don't give glare off like those HID bulbs or most of your regular white bulbs.

As for the bumper, he said that is illegal too.. but as long as I have a metal backing (which is what I was planning on doing anyway) that it would pass then.

Which is understandable because if you hit something.. say a pole.. if u hit the pole with the center of the car, it's gonna go right through that urethane bumper into your radiator support.. through that and into your engine.. no problem. So atleast if I put a tube (like roll cage tube) or like 1/4" steel plate across the bracket bolt holes I'll have protection.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
no, yellow headlights are NOT legal in PA.

get the car inspected before you put the front clip on, as well...JDM noses aren't legal in the US.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Faln. Read above ^ about the front end. He did say as long as I have a metal support that it would pass.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and as of now I am going to use the yellow bulbs.. my inspection runs out at the end of Nov. so I got a whole month and I have other things which need doing on my car to pass anyway.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Plus these yellow bulbs don't give glare off like those HID bulbs or most of your regular white bulbs.
Right, thats why they're used in foglights.

And the european corollas dont have any metal under the bumper ;P

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly, a yellow bulb isn't going to glare into a cops eyes like those aftermarket HID setups and whatever other ricer trash is out there.. so he won't care.

I just got myself a nice cut of 1/4" steel.. 4 1/2" high by 27" long.. perfect fit to put in the bumper.

So hopefully tomorrow or maybe even later today I can start putting the shit on.. I got the hood on already.. just gotta put fenders on, headlights and bumper and it'll take about a casual hour to do the little bit of extra wiring.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yellow headlights are illegal.. but he said after inspection put em back in.. He also said those HID bulbs are illegal too, because they are to bright. But no one ever gets pulled over for that.
Which is bullshit, u can have yellow foglights.. yet u can't have yellow headlights.. makes no sense.

you know that if you put them back in. then you get pulled over by the cops, you point that garage they'll just deny it, right?

I can totally understand not having blue or green or red LEDs shit like that.. but when it comes to headlights.. they get a bit rediculous. Plus these yellow bulbs don't give glare off like those HID bulbs or most of your regular white bulbs.

yellow bulbs are still hard on the eyes of the one in front of you. this was big in the Philippines in the late 80's and they freakin bright. i dunno man. be careful! IMO YELLOW HEADLIGHTS = "come pull me over!"

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
legality on this lights depends on the state/province you live in. mountainous foggy regions maybe alright to have yellow fogs for obvious reasons.

you can't compare a yellow foglight to a yellow headlight. for one, headlights are always on at night even on clear climate/weather. foglights you just turn 'em on when it's foggy. am i making sense here? as far as i know, in Ontario, if you get caught driving with yellow fogs on a clear night, they'll give you a ticket. it could be different in the States, i dunno!

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually here the law is, when you turn on your high beams your fog lights are supposed to be wired in a switch to turn off automaticly.. yet no one does that.

I'm gonna use em.. and we'll see what happens. I doubt I'll get bothered for it, and when I get new inspection sticker if I do get pulled over with them, I'll say that I just put them in and was told that they were legal by the place I bought them online or something lol.

As for now if I get pulled over I will say that they have been in since I bought the car and had no idea that they weren't legal.

It's a ticket and u get 7 days to come to the police station and show that you removed/fixed the problem.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

The bulb literally comes out of the housing.. It's a normal 9003 bulb that goes in.. there was a yellow glass balloon type thing that goes over the actual light.

I will be putting the SilverStar 9003 bulbs in.

·
Registered
92 Corolla Sedan
145 Posts
i have levin headlights on my sedan with a built in yellow glass bulb around the fog light bulb, and i beleive they are illegal in the states (the yello headlights) but to answer your question on why fogs are legal but yellow headlights are not it is because fogs are meant to be mounted low and are mostly brighter than headlights, if they are mounted at headlight level they can blind other drivers

i got flashed someones brights today because my new headlights are sooo bright (h4s vs 9004s) so i flashed my brights at them :lol: needless to say i could see their "deer in the headlights" look inside the car HA

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
In France 20 years ago yellow lights used to be the only legal lights, though I thought they were going to change that. Yellow lights were thought to be less blinding for other drivers.

Since somebody else mentioned fog lights, in Europe it is actually illegal to drive with fog lights on when there isn't any fog. They're positioned at such a low angle that it is pretty blinding for other drivers under normal conditions, especially when the "low" fog lights on SUVs over here are almost at eye level anyways and nobody ever bothers with light alignment. Over here people don't really know how they funtion so they just leave them on all the time because it looks cool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts