Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I know who the heck wants to read about another tailgate fix mod. But I was able to do this one for under $30.

I bought a can of minimal expanding foam, silver rim paint, (it matched the closest to the silver on the truck) and a piece of 1/4" steel box tubing from the local steel yard - 12 feet for $20.

I cut and welded two pieces of the steel and ran them across the tailgate one at the top and one in the middle. You can see the one in the middle and the red primer one sitting on the top as a reference. I welded the one on the top first then the one in the middle. The minimal expanding foam was in place of the foam that I took off from the factory.

The best thing about this mod is that if you dont have a welder you can secure it with a bolt and a nut in place of all the welds. It may not be as strong as the welds but - it will allow the weight placed on the tail gate to be supported by the box tubeing instead of the flimsy shet metal.

I hope this can be of use to someone :D

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
lightningxb12 said:
Yes I know who the heck wants to read about another tailgate fix mod. But I was able to do this one for under $30.

I bought a can of minimal expanding foam, silver rim paint, (it matched the closest to the silver on the truck) and a piece of 1/4" steel box tubing from the local steel yard - 12 feet for $20.

I cut and welded two pieces of the steel and ran them across the tailgate one at the top and one in the middle. You can see the one in the middle and the red primer one sitting on the top as a reference. I welded the one on the top first then the one in the middle. The minimal expanding foam was in place of the foam that I took off from the factory.

The best thing about this mod is that if you dont have a welder you can secure it with a bolt and a nut in place of all the welds. It may not be as strong as the welds but - it will allow the weight placed on the tail gate to be supported by the box tubeing instead of the flimsy shet metal.

nice work!

Question #1 Why did you paint it if it will be covered up? corrosion resistance?
Question #2 Have you tested it with weight as Sethmark did after his invention?
Qustion #3 Where are you located in Florida?
Question #4 Can you do mine?

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
As thin as the outer sheetmetal is... do you notice any dimpling or deformation of the tailgate from the outside at the locations where the expanding foam is (maybe moreso when weight it applied to the tailgate)?

I've been debating a similar fix, but this is the one thing I always wonder and the reason I havent done it yet.

Great write-up:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
The foam is not structural. How is it going to prevent the top edge of the gate from bending under load?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
Silver-Bolt said:
The foam is not structural. How is it going to prevent the top edge of the gate from bending under load?
That's what the box tubing is for. He just put the foam in to replace the original foam from the factory.

Hey lightningxb12,
Nice fix. I was going to order the gator saver but this seems like a much more cost effective way of doing it. Maybe not as strong but I think that should be sufficient. I'll probably do something similar in the spring.

·
Registered
707 Posts
SR5-2006 said:
That's what the box tubing is for. He just put the foam in to replace the original foam from the factory.

Hey lightningxb12,
Nice fix. I was going to order the gator saver but this seems like a much more cost effective way of doing it. Maybe not as strong but I think that should be sufficient. I'll probably do something similar in the spring.
I missed the tubing. He used the foam to re-attach the factory bracing? If so it will not hold. 3M panel adhesive is what you need. Autobody supply stores carry it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for positave responces:

eyedoc:

I painted it for 2 reasons. I the steel was un coated when I bought it and It would rust if I didnt have paint on it, and because I knew some day someone would probally want to take a look at it.

As for weight testing? Honestly I'm afraid of breaking the tailgate - thats why I did the mod to start with. I did load my morotcycle in the back of the truck and I noticed that it didnt have the sag in the tail gate afterwards. Before the mod it did look like it would have bent if I went for a drive and hit a couple of bumps. Over the past weekend I had 3 - 80lb bags on concrete resting on it while I was working in my yard. 240 lbs not driving isnt a lot, but I dont want to pile on the weight just to see what will happen.

Im in the spring hill area - but Im sorry I dont want to work on yours. I'm just a guy that bought a welder and was practicing on my truck. If I accidently damaged yours I wouldnt be able to pay fix it. -sorry.

amp2oo1:

No dimpling or denting from the foam. The foam is not load bearing and neither is the orgional foam type material that was there from the factory. I may be wrong but I think it is just there to stop it from rattling or if the tailgate gives a little it is to protect the metal pointing down from denting the sheet metal skin on the outer part of the tail gate.

SR5-2006 and Silver-Bolt

Like I mentioned above the foam or adheasive is not ment to be load bearing, and it is not factory bracing.(at least I hope not, if it was that is pretty crapy bracing) If you look at the pictures in the orgional post, or at your own tailgate - the pieces that are secured with the foam are attached to the sheet metal that makes up your tail gate skin. If you put any weight on the skin it will bend just like your hood or fender. It is there just to prevent the sheet metal from being dented, by the arms that face downwards and the factory foam or even the foam that I put there is just a little cushon incase the tail gate flexes a little.

Yes the 3-M panel adhesive would be the proper bonding media to use if I wanted a permanate, sound, non cushoned glue type bond. That was not the intention from the factory, and that is why I just used the foam. - Which works perfect as far as I can tell. The factory foam just peeled off, by hand with little effort.

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Looks good. :thumbup: I did something similar with Herculiner a few months back....so far I have been very pleased with the results:

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
lightningxb12 said:
I cut and welded two pieces of the steel and ran them across the tailgate one at the top and one in the middle. You can see the one in the middle and the red primer one sitting on the top as a reference. I welded the one on the top first then the one in the middle.

Nice work lightningxb12. :thumbup: :) Did you have to take apart the top part of the tailgate to weld the top steel?

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
nice job!

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
I've really got to do something about this tailgate. With so many owners reporting problems, especially loading motorcycles, I don't even want to test load my bike until I reinforce.

Worst of all is when I called the dealership and asked about this, of course no ones heard any complaints. And no one could tell me what the max load capacity of the tailgate for loading. Plus I was told if "any" damaged is incurred it would be my fault. F'n bullshit. My $18k Ranger never failed from repeated loading of a Honda RC51 and a Ducati 916.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm thinking my '07 Taco will be traded on an '08 Tundra....or dare I say, Chevy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rpmspeedyBlue said:
Nice work lightningxb12. :thumbup: :) Did you have to take apart the top part of the tailgate to weld the top steel?
No, All I had to do was carefully slide it up there into place. I drilled a couple of holes before hand in the sheet metal, so this way I was able to weld directly on to the steel tubing. The metal around the holes is what was connedted to the steel - by the weld.

Just be careful when sliding the tubing into place though, just to make sure you dont dent the tailgate sheet metal from behind. If you take your time there should be nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
I've really got to do something about this tailgate. With so many owners reporting problems, especially loading motorcycles, I don't even want to test load my bike until I reinforce.

Worst of all is when I called the dealership and asked about this, of course no ones heard any complaints. And no one could tell me what the max load capacity of the tailgate for loading. Plus I was told if "any" damaged is incurred it would be my fault. F'n bullshit. My $18k Ranger never failed from repeated loading of a Honda RC51 and a Ducati 916.
My buddy has an 05 TRD and has loaded and unloaded his dirtbike (enduro 600), quad (400EX), and snow mobile dozens of time over the past 1 1/2 yrs, driving them in and out everytime and his tailgate is fine. (Chewed up, but not dented) I think most of the tailgate failures occurred when the back tire of a bike sits in the middle of the tailgate while driving the truck, not just from loading / unloading. When I load a bike, I typically load it diagonally accross the bed, not straight in with the back wheel on the tailgate. But then again, I have the access cab with the longer bed. Reagrdless, the tailgate is still a weak POS and this fix should help it out tremendously.

·
Registered
296 Posts
is this an issue with '07s as well or did toyota reinforce the tailgate somehow....?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Though I havent personally seen the inside of the 07 tailgate, I am 99% sure that it is the same design with no improvements.

·
Registered
161 Posts
no changes to the 07 gate.

that mod looks nice, but does not strengthen the LIP of the tailgate, which will also fail after repeated motorcycle loading.

the lip of my tailgate failed.....the metal itself actually cracked.

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
407 Posts
I've got a access cab w/longbed as well. I haven't taken any measurements but I'm guessing the rear wheel will sit partially on the tailgate if loaded straight. But that's the problem, I've never loaded then driven with a bike sitting diag. Never need too with my ranger.

I had my doubts about this plastic composite bed idea and I'm starting to wonder if I made a poor decision. Extra d-rings aren't a big deal, but a weak tailgate is just piss poor design. I don't care if it's light duty or cream puff duty, my ranger(same class) handled my motorcycles and even a 1300lb Goldwing, once.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
lightningxb12 said:
No, All I had to do was carefully slide it up there into place. I drilled a couple of holes before hand in the sheet metal, so this way I was able to weld directly on to the steel tubing. The metal around the holes is what was connedted to the steel - by the weld.

Just be careful when sliding the tubing into place though, just to make sure you dont dent the tailgate sheet metal from behind. If you take your time there should be nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the Info. :thumbup::)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
arinvolvo said:
no changes to the 07 gate.

that mod looks nice, but does not strengthen the LIP of the tailgate, which will also fail after repeated motorcycle loading.

the lip of my tailgate failed.....the metal itself actually cracked.

If you look at the top of the tailgate, where the red bar is going across - that is exactly where the other one is located just on the inside. I couldnt get a good picture of the one installed so I put that one there for reference.

It does strengthen the lip - the only area that wouldnt be protedted is, if you had the tailgate in the down position and walked up to it and pressed your legs forward like you were reaching in to get something. That would be a week spot but most people dont bang the items there loading in to that exact spot.

But in the down positon it does streinghten the middle and the end of the tailgate - in the spots where a loaded motorcycle tire, or other cargo would sit.

It may not be the cure all for these tail gates, but I'm no engineer - just a guy who bought a welder at home depot, and felt like practicing on his truck, with $20 worth of steel. I have several street bikes and felt this would help my specific needs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts