Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Died around age 230, XXX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remember I mentioned me going on another road trip in the near future? Well I just did...From Denver to St. Louis. And thats only halfway...

I get off the highway, pull into the hotel...then I go in reverse and car shuts off. No big deal. Thats happened once before. Then, after I turned the car off to go inside I came back out and started foward. Few feet later car shuts off again. I crank it back up, go down another few feet and it shuts off again :ugh3:

So, just wondering maybe if it's just tired and overheated, or is something maybe going on with the alternator? fuel pump? When it cuts off, I can tell it is about to because it sounds like its slowly 'dying' right before it cuts off. But dont think its alternator because battery light isn't coming on.

I didn't have this issue when I was racing up and down the mountains on my way to Vegas...I'm a bit scared to drive it anywhere else tonight, so would be thrilled to get some ideas in the morning!

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
check the battery voltage if you have a multimeter handy. no battery warning light at start is odd, last time i saw it on my v6 it was caused by an open circuit (wiring harness was cut) between alternator and the battery.

any error codes?

·
Died around age 230, XXX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the battery warning light does light up on the 'on' position...I was referring that its not on so cant be alternator?

My check engine light has always been on, still havent gotten around to checking for codes :confused:

Anyhow, I let it sit for a bit and then drove it again...as I was not going to be walking around downtown St. Louis with pizza. It hadn't shut off again...but at one point it felt like it wanted to.

Will have to get back with some codes...

·
Died around age 230, XXX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video! Im wondering where he get that propane thing from. Are there any DIY here on fixing vacuum leaks?

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Thanks for the video! Im wondering where he get that propane thing from. Are there any DIY here on fixing vacuum leaks?
Best way to find a vacuum leak is to use a EVAP Smoke machine.

To own a complete unit ranges from $800 - $1500.00 which isn't feasible for most normal consumers.

Vacuum leaks can be a PITA to find sometimes without an Evap smoke machine, but it can be done. That video is a good reference of how its done. Generally I like to start around the Intake Manifold checking for leaks. 90% of the time the rubber lines do not cause a vacuum leak so keep that in mind. Although you can't completely rule them out.. If your Vacuum lines looks like it has cracks on it, That is a vacuum leak. Most people link a Hole with a vacuum leak, but cracks are vacuum leaks too.

Older vehicles that ran on mechanical pumps would often have plastic lines for vacuum and the fuel lines weren't high pressure so they would go bad often. Visually it doesn't look like there would be a leak there because you dont visually see fuel spilling out of the line, but if there was a crack then when the pump would suck fuel under a load (Vacuum) the pressure would pull air in through the cracks.

Just keep that in mind. Cracked Rubber is a vacuum leak.

Source : I used to own a 1987 Dodge Ram D150 with a 6 cylinder motor and I ended up replacing all of the rubber fuel lines with fuel injection lines because it kept stalling on me :) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3257131

==========

Also, You may want to look into getting a vacuum gauge and a plastic T fitting to monitor vacuum pressure referring to your FSM to see what the pressures are supposed to be

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
get those error codes scanned at autozone for free. they may reveal your problem :facepalm:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts