Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i have been a member on here awhile, but i have just now decided to make a build thread.

I bought my 1992 corolla DLX 4AFE back in june for $300. a couple weeks after that, it went through a hail storm. to say the least is i have inch to 2 inch diameter dents in my car.

I also own and 1993 Jeep GC, which is in this picture also

Mods I have done:

• Install 6x9's in the rear deck ($75)
  • install a single MTX 5500 sub and amp in the trunk ($200)
  • Install a ram filter ($50)
  • New Distributor, Spark Plugs, and wires ($40)
  • New Stock tires (old ones were almost bald) ($350)
  • New KYB Gr-2 struts ($200)
  • Replace all brakes ($75)
Total investment is around 1500 (including oil changes and fixing an engine problem)

Mods I want to do:

• replace the trunk, hood, and front passenger quarter pannel
  • Fix the hail damage on the roof
  • put on 15 in rims and tires
  • Paint it white with a red strip centered on the drivers side (including white on the bumpers, i hate the black; it just looks cheap)
  • Racing muffler
  • New Clutch
  • Fog lights where the turn signals currently are (move turn signals to driving lights)
  • Install a small spoiler
  • Turbo
All advice will be helpful. hopefully i can make this car one beast of a car to drive

·
Registered
AE92 sedan
627 Posts
nice... id say if its turbo your looking for in the 4afe then ask Jmaz, Flashmn and PnKy they are like the 4afe turbo dudes on this forum that i currently ask a million questions too. kiwi is also another to ask for interchangeable parts etc. i currently have a sedan atm and i am very happy with it, i want to do a turbo build for it, just because i miss boost and i think itll be awesome to have a turbo corolla sedan that everyone and their mom has. but there are many things you can do to this corolla, just gotta know the right people, and they will tell you all..

·
Registered
AE92 sedan
627 Posts
oh nice, i want a intake system too, but i want to build a cold air intake box system, but atm i just installed a electric super charger from ebay on my car(just for shiz and giggles) i had one laying around my garage for years, and the funny thing is that, i dont even know how it ended up in there in the first place, i never bought one so its kool. the funny thing about it, is that it gave my low end a little better pickup, wells more like .5% better, but its funny i have it wired up with my headlights from a addfuse plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first off. i have been busy with school and spring break so i havent had much time to get on here.

while i was gone on spring break, i lent my car to a friend who is a mechanic (he is in his 50's) to take a look at it and see if it is worth building up. he took a bunch of it apart and looked over many of the key components. he said i need a new clutch (which i already knew) and a engine rebuild before i do any heavy modifications. when i picked it up, there were quite a few new problems.
1.the brakes dont apply until almost fully depressed in (i figured i would just bleed the brakes and go from there)
2. when i go over a bump on the road, i head something clunking on the front end. sounds like it is coming from the bottom. but when i looked under the car, everything looked tight.
3. when i start up the engine after it has been sitting awhile, it sounds like it is being torque out (like when you let off the clutch too early) after kicking up the rpms for awhile, it idles out fine.
there are some more problems, but they are minor and i have already fixed them.

on a second note ayang, how much was that? and has it been holding up fine?

and on a third note, how much will a shop charge for installing a clutch? and how long will it usually take?

·
The New Guy
1989 AE92
87 Posts
Electric Superchargers: $15-50
Clutch Install (w/o parts charge): $300-500 2-8 hours

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are eveyone's views on the electric superchargers? are they even worth the money?

Would you suggest buying a clutch (flywheel replacement too?) and bringing it in or just letting the shop buy a clutch/flywheel?

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
what are eveyone's views on the electric superchargers? are they even worth the money?
You don't hear a lot about it, do you? For what it costs, it's exactly what you get. VERY VERY miniscule increase in hp if any... A REAL turbo or REAL supercharger, even cheap chinese knock offs, are more worthy.

Electric "superchargers" do not increase in RPM as the engines RPM increases. At least none that I have seen. Real boost do.

There's nothing like the whine of a supercharger or the spooling of a turbo.

I don't mean to knock on the electric supercharger. I just think it's one of those things like say those magnets you tie around the fuel line or intake pipe that claims to increase fuel efficiency.... yea. Sure.

All my opinion.... sums it up.... >>> :thumbsdow

·
The New Guy
1989 AE92
87 Posts
Brb, gonna get an electric supercharger, those vortex turbine intake pipe inserts, and magnetic "ionizer" things for the fuel line... Oh, and a SuperStreet sticker for my windshield that makes visibility poor but increases HP by 10000!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts