Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go get the ride smogged (93 5SFE). Passes all the visual tests, all the emission tests well below max levels at 15mph and 25mph, BUT failed 1 functional test. Ignition timing is at 18 BTDC instead of 10, and I have to get it down to 11 BTDC. How easy is that to DIY, or should I drop more $$$ and take it to a shop for a 5(?) minute adjustment?

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Up to you, you can get a timing light and retime it yourself if you want, but otherwise I'd consider just taking it to a shop, it shouldn't be very expensive.

·
Grenaded piston
6,592 Posts

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
yea, the camry didnt pass as well, so my dad paid the mechnic 25 bux to adjust the timing and it passed but felt soooo weak.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
God, Cali smog laws suck. I'm sorry to hear that Deuce.

(Pssh- here's a secret go to Autozone and buy a timing light. When you're finished with it return it and say that you didn't use it because you couldn't figure out how to use it:lol: )

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^especially since my registration notice said I could only go to a Test-Only station.

Only 1 problem out of all the ones they tested and that's enough to fail. And the notice said that my car fits the profile of a high polluter. But a Chevy Lumina from the same year as mine isn't. Anyone ever notice the rides with tailpipe emissions that you can see all the time are all from the Big 3?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts