Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friend is selling his used nissan 240sx..

It has like 150k miles on the 2.4L engine (KA24DE) with manual tranny

Dunno about price yet.. supposidly less than 500 cause it needs some work, so should i do it? It would be fun to drive a stick for change and a drift car

Ill probably swap out the motor for a JDM 2.0L Turbo (sr20det)

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Heja Sverige
191 Posts
I'm sure you know this already, but the SR20DET swap isn't legal in the US. If you get caught your car could be impounded.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
SR20DET isn't legal in CA maybe due to strict emissions, smog etc. :confused:

i had never heard it wasn't legal before :confused:

Keri

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
What year 240? And I would do it if I were you.

P.S. if you dont wind up getting it, I'll take it off his hands.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its early 94 I think.
Its still a S13 in the end.. the headlights flip open unlike the S14 (late 94-98ish) that are like all headlights today

body has some problems.. missing a fender (easily ebayable)

needs a new exhaust system (none on it??)

probably need new brake rotors and brakes

new wheels to replace the old stock fugly ones

Im thinking I would have to spend 3000? (Do it youself) total, not to mention its not gonna be street legal :disappoin

·
Pondering the choices
112 Posts
ill pu it this way......if i could find 240 for 500 i would buy it regardless of shape.it could not run and id buy it. anyone who says not to is kona stupid. but then again if you dont plan on replaciing just about every moving part on the car you arent someone who should waste another 240 like all the ones i see driving around. granted i here cali has some nice ones ive never been there.....but over on the east coast every 240 is driven buy some fat people or little teeny bopper girls except a hand full. i want to shoot myself every time i see one. i would seriously kill someone for one. unfortunity that means worse fate for me than some other people so i have not yet. my friend just got a sweet as 95 for 8k. dont ask what it aready has or what will be changed/added. it would take all day to list...rofl....anyways id say swoop it up if you want a sweet as car in the end of a build.

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
I'd say get it, but don't automatically swap an sr20 just because its cool... there's plenty other options out there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had an '89, had problems with it, and my parents forced me to sell it.... that is the BIGGEST thing I regret the MOST. I miss it so much, it was the most fun to drive, with the 5 speed. I have pictures of it hanging on my wall just behind my computer. ::Looking at it now, wishing it was still parked in the driveway:: :p: Yeah, Since I already have a new truck, and no room for another car, it's past it's days..... :disappoin so sad....

edit:: I would buy any 240 for $500 in a heart beat, btw

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
a 240 is a great affordable sports car since its rwd, i drove my friends 240 and i had a blast.... rwd is much more fun than an FF car... anyways the 240 your getting.... is it a hatch or a coupe?? :confused:

p.s. 240's have became more expensive now since people wanna drift and etc... but for 500 bux , thats a deal .. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Timberland said:
I'd say get it, but don't automatically swap an sr20 just because its cool... there's plenty other options out there.
RB25DET :D

(you could always RB26 it, but that's totally all-out and you'll be in debt for the rest of your life by the time you're done ;) )

·
nice guy
191 Posts
The RB25DET isn't that expensive compared to how great it would be in a 240. A friend of mine has a '89 240...he is going to get the SR20DET....but he has to get a job first:rolleyes:...

I would get pretty good at drifting before i swapped a SR20DET. I mean...that is like trying to ride a motorbike...before trying to ride a bike. (or something like that annalogy sp?)

back to the point... hell yeah...i would get a 240 for $500. But drifting is an expensive activity...so watch your funds

·
Registered
47 Posts
Flashmn said:
KA24 is a good turbo platform.

:thumbup:

listen to this man.

despite having the engine coming uot from the older Nissan truck, the KA24DE engine is a good platform for turbo.

Why? The block is made out of Cast Iron whereas the SR20DETT is made out of aluminum. Cast Iron will usually withstand more heat than aluminum will.

People are too quick to jump on the SR20 route that they forget to explore. There are more than one way to make a car fast, and putting in an SR20 like everyone else's mom's car isn't one of them. :)

I remember about 3-4 years ago or somewhere along that line, jason from houston build his buddy's 240sx. By then, it was known as the quickest 240sx with a KA24DE known to man. ran 10.6 i believe in street form. It was not super heavily modified. Just the regular pistons, engine management system, fuel system, and who could forget turbo

ps. the ~1.75 rod to stroke ratio makes it a good candidtate for high revving. :D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
well how about the c18 swap 1.8 l .....is that ok in ca????i noe that in the way up north in canada...meaning toronto its ok to have a sr20...my cosuin go his like 2 months ago...runs fine and no probles wit the law....

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Camry LE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not that familiar with RB25DET motors but isnt that a skyline motor?:confused: (looked it up, about 3000 for used JDM)

And isn't that an inline 6cyl? I doubt theres gonna be room for it

Anyways, thanks for your input guys..

as for the ka24de turbo.. maybe? maybe not.. cause the engine has alot of miles on it and i dont want my car to die in the middle of the highway

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ewong63112 said:
im not that familiar with RB25DET motors but isnt that a skyline motor?:confused: (looked it up, about 3000 for used JDM)

And isn't that an inline 6cyl? I doubt theres gonna be room for it

Anyways, thanks for your input guys..

as for the ka24de turbo.. maybe? maybe not.. cause the engine has alot of miles on it and i dont want my car to die in the middle of the highway
Yes, it's an i6 from a Skyline, & don't doubt, because it's been done before. Perhaps you just haven't been searching hard/long enough.

Anyway, I'm with everybody on this one - $500 for a 240sx (especially a coupe body because it'd be more rigid & a better candidate for a racer) is damn good. Especially in this day & age when everybody wants to be a drifter.

The KA24 can be built to achieve the same horsepower levels as the SR20, it's just taken a while because nobody believed in the 240 up until reality smacked everybody upside the head.

*wishes he would of gave his Cam to a family member long time ago & bought a 240 coupe before they got expensive* ... yep. :/

·
Banned
352 Posts
the rb26dett will fit , there has been a install kit made for this particular swap the kits cost about 1000 dollars and there are already a few 240's rollin around with the rb's in them this is the swap that i will be doing because i can get the engine wit tranny for about 2800 so i have choosen to go this route

1 - 20 of 22 Posts