Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey i have a 94 Geo prizm 1.6L 3 speed and i noticed the mileage on fueleconomy.gov for my car is rated 23/26 is this correct? Ive been averaging 20mpg but i use my car 90/10. I deliver food for a restaurant at night and go to school in the day. Is there something wrong with my car, or is this normal for my type of driving. Ive replaced the oxygen sensor and no noticeable improvement.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Sounds low. I've been getting about 39mpg on average lately in my Corolla (5A-FE 1.5L 5-speed). That's with about 90% city driving and 10% highway driving. Admittedly, that's driving like a bit of a grandma, but typically I'd see no less than 34mpg when driving 'normally'. You'll use more fuel at night due to the cooler air temperature, but the fuel mileage shouldn't be that low, unless you have a really heavy foot, a lot of weight in the car or drive everywhere with roof racks.

Start by checking how clean your air filter is and how inflated your tires are. Also try changing the spark plugs, oil and leads. Have a look at the temperature gauge next time you're driving the car, it should sit on half or just under. If it's lower than that then there's a chance that your thermostat needs replacing, which can play a big role when it comes to fuel consumption.

There are a lot of other factors which could contribute to the poor fuel mileage, such as dirty or leaking injectors, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, sticking EGR valve, incorrect timing, worn valve guides, bad fuel pressure regulator or fuel filter, clogged PCV valve etc etc. Driving with the windows down at highway speeds can have an affect on the fuel economy too. Start by checking the simple things first and go from there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive put a new wheel bearing. inner and outer tie rods on r/side and outer on left side. Put some 175/55/14 inch rims with new tires 40psi. and New air filter and the oxygen sensor. I replaced the spark plugs about 2 years ago, Maybe ill start doing a full tune up. First off would be the fuel filter which was changed about 5 years ago, when i first purchased the car, And pvc valve which is cheap. Im striving for the best fuel economy since my line of works has me driving all day long so. Fuel economy is at the top of my list right now

·
Registered
239 Posts
im getting 32-34 avg, with my 5afe-5 speed

thats with a heavyish foot, 10/90 and 80ish on the freeway.

ive done ngk plugs, wires, k&n drop in, high mileage oil, and restore engine treatment

however, ive got an 8" sub box, a couple sheets of hushmat, and wider wheels/tires

id say your car needs a little love :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah shes a lil over due for a tune up. Ima start with the simple things, I plan on taking this car to its limits in miles. Shes sturdy enough.

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
53 Posts
They are both running manual trans. That alone will give them a few MPG better than an auto will. I live on the side of a mountain so there's lots of step inclines at city speeds. So theres no way I can match 34 mpg. I have a 3sp auto as well and I average about 27 mpg.

·
11,504 Posts
Remember also, you have a 3 speed and not a 4 speed tranny. If you have a tach in your car and do some highway driving you'll see how many RPMS it is running at 60mph. The 88-92 Corolla 3 speed auto tranny mileage was good, but not great also.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
While it seems pretty bad compared the normal EPA ratings, I would say it's still within normal range.

I know my fuel economy plummets whenever I get stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic. My most recent tank was under 25mpg on my daily traffic congested commute.

I would still get that tune up done and recheck your numbers again on future fillups.

·
Registered
'94 Corolla base
72 Posts
I'm getting about 27mpg for city, about 31 all highway and a VERY heavy foot. :D 94 corolla base 5 speed with 4A-FE. 4-2-1 headers, magnaflow converter and 2.25'' catback (silencer left in for backpressure), NGK G-power plugs and NGK Wires, K&N box filter, and Z-Max fuel and engine treatment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts