Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both brands are apparently made in Taiwan and use 12 point splines to work on a variety of fastener styles, eg square and E-torx:

However, each set is mising 12 and 15mm. I know that Toyota's second most common socket is a 12mm. Is that a problem?

Anyone find it rounds off fasteners more, less, or the same as traditional 6 or 12 point sockets?

Should I pass on these brands or this style of socket, and look for a complete set, or can I find 12 and 15mm non-kit universal sockets?

Thanks

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,539 Posts
6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22mm are the main sockets that will be used. Not having them will ruin your day. Make sure you use the right tool for the right job, if it has a 6-point use a 6-point. You can use a 12-point but you have to be willing risk it and have the right circumstances to use it. If you want a basic set of tools, just get them from Harbor Freight to start out. I have GearWrench, I like GearWrench, and all my Gear Wrench tools are at my dads house. I only keep Harbor Freight sockets, ratchets, and wrenches in my ammo box in my car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks.

For rounded/damaged bolts, would it be better to use the universal/spline sockets, or take my chances first with 6 point sockets?

I see a Harbor Freight partial set for $9.49, missing 12mm, 15mm, 16mm, and 18mm.

I acknowledge your point about missing sockets.

I've never heard of Neiko; is this a good brand?

Otherwise, how does Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh brand sockets compare to the Chinese Craftman in terms of socket quality and durability?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Pittsburgh is fine as long as you don't buy the cheapest of the low. I've bent some of their cheaper products but their impact socket socket is fine. I prefer my GearWrench but I don't have access to them all of the time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pittsburgh is fine as long as you don't buy the cheapest of the low. I've bent some of their cheaper products but their impact socket socket is fine. I prefer my GearWrench but I don't have access to them all of the time.
Thanks, by cheapest of the low to avoid, do you mean something like this $5.99 special:

Is this spline socket set okay as to quality (I acknowledge the skips)?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I just use "traditional" 6-point and "round"(not spline) 12-point. If there is a Harbor Freight near you, just go and feel the tools. You might be able to easily discern the garbage to the okay it works tools. That 40 pc set being garbage.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,972 Posts
I would prefer to find an older set from the 80's since the quality is much better.

I have been told that Husky tools is a good option and that home Depot has lifetime warranty, but I don't know if this is really true. Since I don't own husky tools.

I don't know if Lowe's does the same thing on tool warranty.

For HF, I have some of the Pittsburgh extension bar sets and seems to be made of decent quality. Been trying to find their ratcheting metric stubby combination wrench set. They keep selling out where I live.

I have a couple of Craftsman sets that I purchase under 5 years ago. They work pretty well, but time will tell. Got them when Sears was closing stores.

Got a 12 point combo wrench set and a mechanic set. Hasn't failed yet. Keeping fingers x.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would prefer to find an older set from the 80's since the quality is much better.

I have been told that Husky tools is a good option and that home Depot has lifetime warranty, but I don't know if this is really true. Since I don't own husky tools.

I don't know if Lowe's does the same thing on tool warranty.

For HF, I have some of the Pittsburgh extension bar sets and seems to be made of decent quality. Been trying to find their ratcheting metric stubby combination wrench set. They keep selling out where I live.

I have a couple of Craftsman sets that I purchase under 5 years ago. They work pretty well, but time will tell. Got them when Sears was closing stores.

Got a 12 point combo wrench set and a mechanic set. Hasn't failed yet. Keeping fingers x.
Thanks. Which brands from the 1980s do you recommend?

Whic Craftsman 5 year old sets do you have? What was the approximate price? Have you parts numbers? My nearby childhood Sears is closing this coming January/February, so I'm watching for fire sales. So sad.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,972 Posts
Craftsman....my friend finds vintage tools at local yard sales. Some complete.

I don't have a label for the combo wrench set.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I stood on a 2 foot breaker bar with a 1/2 to 3/8th Kobalt adaptor and a Snap On impact socket getting a lug off a car at pick and pull and hour from my home. 500 foot pounds of torque and the lug nut broke loose with no tool damage. The guys at pick and pull gave up on getting it off, I had to get it off.
made in Taiwan seems to be good to me. I like the old tools, oldest one I have is 1878 Billings and Spencer, still works good.
6 point sockets are best with modern fine tooth ratchets. My Snap On socket has actually peeled back the steel in lugnuts of the anti theft type (splined) and made them hex for removal.
I never could afford Snap On when I was young and just about everything I have was bought at garage sales and auctions.
Interesting antique tool site "alloy artifacts"

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,972 Posts
China products are hit or miss. Mostly everything comes from China or Taiwan these days.

It's fine, as long as they have a tool warranty to a)replace it, or b)give credit for the tool if it's no longer made.

For me, tools will last you a lot longer if you always use the right tool. Don't use a 1/2" drive when you needed 3/4".

Not implying anything, but like everything, the tool will last longer if kept in decent to good condition and not beat on when it wasn't designed to. Lol.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Before investing in tools, just make sure you know how much you are really gonna use them.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,972 Posts
When I can't find the right socket or wrench, that's when I get flustered. Curse like a sailor and then, it's right there! Haha

·
イリジウム
11,872 Posts
I wouldn’t be worrying about ‘80s brands. IIRC Danaher sold their consumer tools division to China, and lots of tools come from there now. The new versions are fine. The sockets actually look better than my Danaher ones, with better formed broaches.

The splines universal sockets look like jack of all trades to me. IIRC Kingdom943 has a set, he can probably tell you more.

Yeah, wait until Black Friday and get a good regular type from Sears, complete with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2”. Maybe the 300+ piece set?

Thanks. Which brands from the 1980s do you recommend?

Whic Craftsman 5 year old sets do you have? What was the approximate price? Have you parts numbers? My nearby childhood Sears is closing this coming January/February, so I'm watching for fire sales. So sad.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,972 Posts
I also have an older Popular mechanics 3/4" drive set and an older Stanley tool kit. These were handed down to me. I wanna say they are both from the early 90's.

Now that Stanley Decker owns the Craftsman line of tools, does anyone know where we can get info on how to get the lifetime warranty replacements? Would Lowe's honor it since they carry Craftsman?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I also have an older Popular mechanics 3/4" drive set and an older Stanley tool kit. These were handed down to me. I wanna say they are both from the early 90's.

Now that Stanley Decker owns the Craftsman line of tools, does anyone know where we can get info on how to get the lifetime warranty replacements? Would Lowe's honor it since they carry Craftsman?
I heard Lowe's...

·
イリジウム
11,872 Posts
Sears would let you replace on the spot no questions asked IF they have it in stock. Lowe’s will take down your info so it takes a little longer.

Sending it back to Stanley (owner of the brands) kinda negates the benefit.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts