Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I hate about Toyotas are the deep spark plug wells. My 2000 Camry is typical. I've had pretty good luck with magnetic spark plug sockets, but wonder about spring clip spark plug sockets as an alternative.

Koken is a good brand, but it costs about 5x as much as my Duralast magnetic spark plug socket. Any other brands that are decent?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
I loosen with a standard socket then use a piece of rubber hose over the porcelain to twist and pull out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why not just use your spark plug wire to get it out? You really don't need any special tools to get a spark plug out.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
+1 magnetic socket. It's deep because overhead camshaft engine.

I beeline for my regular plug socket (has a little piece of rubber "hose" inside already to grab) before the magnetic; but nowadays I make sure to clean it thoroughly if I see even a drop of oil from the plug well. The oil remaining in the plug socket makes the rubber slip out and then I got an annoyance.

Reactions: fred9x

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
I use something like this on my Toyotas and my Mazda. With the socket permanently attached it works like a charm. Previously I would tighten down the plug and the spark plug socket with the rubber piece would stay down on the plug when you try to remove the socket and rachet and extension. Then it becomes a problem to get the socket out. I have seen these at most auto parts stores.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts