Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Toyota Owners.........

Has anyone bought or have any experience with buying a extended warranty for Zurich?

I bought a extended warranty from Zurich from my Toyota dealer, and was wondering if
anyone here has a extended policy or had a claim though them.

I notice they aren't rated very high,1 star out of five.
Cheers!.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I notice they aren't rated very high,1 star out of five.
I don't know what the means. Rated by whom?

Zurich is a reputable insurance company, but it depends on how much you paid for the extended warranty, since dealers can (and do) charge whatever they can get. I assume it is harder to file a claim and get reimbursed with Zurich than if you had bought the official Toyota VSA, which is automatically handled by any Toyota USA dealer where extended warranty service is performed.

The reason why dealers like to sell 3rd part extended warranties is that they make more profit than if they sell the same Toyota warranty (VSA) with same years and mileage and same price.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Extended warranties are almost always from insurance companies. The large insurance companies (State farm, Geico, AlState, Liberty Mutual) created separate companies or subsidiaries just for this market. It is by far their largest profit insurance they sell. Companies like State Farm have multiple subsidiaries under many different names.

I've never owned one and never will.

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never owned one and never will.

It all depends on how long you keep your Toyotas that makes a huge difference.

My son has a Solara convertible and a Sequoia both at lest 8 and 10 year old.

Both had the water pump go bad under his extended warranty, and and the timing belt replaced
at the same time, No charge.
Also had 3 speakers replaced, two air sensors in his rims, cracked leather seats
all under the extended warranty.

He has a low miles on them for their age.

So never say never

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve used them on a Chevy I owned and never had any issues with them . I even had a claim at 98k miles (it expire at 100k) and they replaced my AC compressor. I would purchase another one from them if I was market for a extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It all depends on how long you keep your Toyotas that makes a huge difference.
No it doesn't. Very few people (if any) on this board keep their vehicles as long as we do. Anywhere between 300k and 500k miles for every vehicle we've owned since the mid 80's. From the time manufacturer warranty runs out to over 150k miles.....the vehicles is the MOST reliable. Never heard of an extended warranty going beyond 120k miles. For most the period I'll own a vehicle it won't be warrantied - even it I bought an extended warranty. I've figured we've saved almost $20,000 by not buying an extended warranty. Even keeping vehicles as long as we do - we are way way under $10,000 in total repairs...and well over 98% of those repairs were well beyond the mileage of an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
No it doesn't. Very few people (if any) on this board keep their vehicles as long as we do. Anywhere between 300k and 500k miles for every vehicle we've owned since the mid 80's. From the time manufacturer warranty runs out to over 150k miles.....the vehicles is the MOST reliable. Never heard of an extended warranty going beyond 120k miles. For most the period I'll own a vehicle it won't be warrantied - even it I bought an extended warranty. I've figured we've saved almost $20,000 by not buying an extended warranty. Even keeping vehicles as long as we do - we are way way under $10,000 in total repairs...and well over 98% of those repairs were well beyond the mileage of an extended warranty.
I have never purchased an extended warranty in the past, for the reasons you state. However, if I were to buy a new car, I might reconsider because I doubt that all the new fancy electronics in the car are going to last 10 years or 125K miles, and will be very expensive to replace.

A lot of people are judging these extended warranties based on outrageous price quotes, but they can be had a reasonable prices if one shops around.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
However, if I were to buy a new car, I might reconsider because I doubt that all the new fancy electronics in the car are going to last 10 years or 125K miles, and will be very expensive to replace.
Electronics are several magnitudes more reliable then any mechanical part. And their failure rate is usually in the first few years during warranty period. Sure some manufacturers have had costly problems, but I stay away from those manufacturers. It's a gamble, but the odds are very much on my side of never buying an extended warranty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have never purchased an extended warranty in the past, for the reasons you state. However, if I were to buy a new car, I might reconsider because I doubt that all the new fancy electronics in the car are going to last 10 years or 125K miles, and will be very expensive to replace.

A lot of people are judging these extended warranties based on outrageous price quotes, but they can be had a reasonable prices if one shops around.
I have had extended warrantys before and never even approached getting my money back out of them. That being said if I was to buy a new hybrid or just a new vehicle with premium electronics I would opt for extended warranty. Mechanically todays vehicles will well outlast their usefulness with proper care however electronics is a new area of concern.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Mechanically todays vehicles will well outlast their usefulness with proper care however electronics is a new area of concern.
And the electronics will outlast the mechanics...by several magnitudes. If there is a problem it's mainly a design or manufacturing problem that will usually show up well within warranty period.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
And the electronics will outlast the mechanics...by several magnitudes. If there is a problem it's mainly a design or manufacturing problem that will usually show up well within warranty period.
I have my doubts about that. The semi-autonomous electronics, including sensors, etc are way too new to know how long they will last. A single capacitor that dries up over time can make an entire system inoperable, and they don't fix that stuff anymore, they can only replace the entire unit. There are a lot of desktop computers that fail by the time they reach 10 years old, and some may keep their cars longer than that.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have my doubts about that. The semi-autonomous electronics, including sensors, etc are way too new to know how long they will last.
It's the nature of electronics....has been that way for over 100 years.

There are no moving parts for electronic parts to wear. If there's a problem it's usually cause by a manufacturing or design defect that shows up early. I work with electronic and mechanical parts all the time. Mechanical devices are 100 times higher failure rate.

A single capacitor that dries up over time can make an entire system inoperable, and they don't fix that stuff anymore, they can only replace the entire unit.
Capacitors take a long long time to dry out. I replaced the capacitors on the cross-overs on a set of speakers. But they were almost 40 years old.

There are a lot of desktop computers that fail by the time they reach 10 years old
What was the failure? More and likely disk. Any little hickup in a home computer it's not worth fixing...too cheap to just buy another one. At my company - whenever we do a field service call for PM on any of our installed systems under service contract - if the systems still use disks with platters we replace them with SSD's FREE OF CHARGE. Why - because the failure rate is so much lower it's cheaper for us. Those not under a contract we leave them alone and when they fail the customer is on the hook for buying new ones. We don't even install HDD's anymore on our systems.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It's the nature of electronics....has been that way for over 100 years.

There are no moving parts for electronic parts to wear. If there's a problem it's usually cause by a manufacturing or design defect that shows up early. I work with electronic and mechanical parts all the time. Mechanical devices are 100 times higher failure rate.
I wasn't talking about hard drives. Computer motherboards often fail (or have problems) within 10 years, especially if the computer is on most of the time. The extreme weather conditions that an automobile encounters puts an extra a strain on electronic systems and sensors.

I have had SSD's fail, both in and out of warranty. Also, fans go bad or start making horrible noises, and if they are inside a PSU, or attached to a graphics card, not easy to fix.

Things like touch screens in cars are also prone to failure after a number of years.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Computer motherboards often fail (or have problems) within 10 years, especially if the computer is on most of the time.
Not what I see. And I've been working in this field for well over 40 years.

Also, fans go bad or start making horrible noises, and if they are inside a PSU, or attached to a graphics card, not easy to fix.
A fan failure can cause problems. This can be an issue if air-flow is critical. But most systems have thermal switches that will shut down if too hot. And again...a fan is a mechanical device.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts