Battery Hooked Up Wrong -- How to change the 120-amp fuse - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011) Toyota Camry Discussion for years: 2002-2006 & 2007-2011 Topics of discussion range from fuel economy, safety, modifications, performance all involving America's favorite family car, the Toyota Camry.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,352 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Battery Hooked Up Wrong -- How to change the 120-amp fuse

I did my biggest screw up today I went to hook up a new battery and didn't notice the terminals were opposite of the old one. I hooked up one and as soon as I touched the other terminal it sparked and the horn honked. I straightened it out but now the car won't start. I checked all the fuses and found one blown. Changed it still no good. What should I check now

EDIT: To all who come to this thread needing the fuse how to, it is on page 2. It is also on a gen 6 Camry 2009 le.

Last edited by heartdisease; 06-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdisease View Post
I did my biggest screw up today I went to hook up a new battery and didn't notice the terminals were opposite of the old one. I hooked up one and as soon as I touched the other terminal it sparked and the horn honked. I straightened it out but now the car won't start. I checked all the fuses and found one blown. Changed it still no good. What should I check now
Did you check the fuses under the dash, then there is the 120 amp fuse under the hood. A real PITA to remove...

2011 XLE, I4, AT, Sliver, New May 2, 2010
MFG 02/25/2010
Accident w/frame damage, got rid of car.
No Toyota in possession, now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luna2 For This Useful Post:
heartdisease (06-17-2012)
#3 Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Where under the dash-- I will get out the book. This is a gen 6 by the way-- where is the 120 amp, I checked the fuse and relay box didn't see any thing that big unless it is the blue bars in this pic, How do you remove these? A tug with some pliers didn't do anything.

Last edited by heartdisease; 06-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to heartdisease For This Useful Post:
OpticNerve (07-13-2013)
#4 Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Low & Slow Cam

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Under the dash on the left side, near the kick panel
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCam09 For This Useful Post:
heartdisease (06-17-2012)
#5 Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Quote:
Where under the dash-- I will get out the book. This is a gen 6 by the way-- where is the 120 amp, I checked the fuse and relay box didn't see any thing that big unless it is the blue bars in this pic, How do you remove these? A tug with some pliers didn't do anything.

Look under the dash at the coin holder, you will have to lay on your back.
The 120 amp fuse is the 82620-33030 numbered one. The car will start with this fuse open, but you will have weird symptoms on the dash and the battery will not be charge as the alternator isn't connected to the battery.

MFG 02/25/2010
The Following User Says Thank You to Luna2 For This Useful Post:
OpticNerve (07-13-2013)
#6 Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Most of the time if you short out the battery (in your case reverse battery installation, in my case alternator positive lead to oil dipstick ) it will blow the 120 A alternator fuse. My car was completely dead when I did it, no lights, nothing. The big 120 A/100 A fuses are bolted into the fuse box. You will need to disassemble the fuse box to take them out and replace them.

2005 Camry "LE"
TL HID Retrofit | OEM Fogs | SE Bumper | SE Grill | Factory Spoiler | Kosei K1 TS 18x7.5 | BC Racing Coilovers
TRD [RSB | Strut Tower Brace | Exhaust] || Rear Drum to Disc Swap

Gen 5 TRD Suspension + OEM Wheels + Weapon-R I-Throttle Controller FS!

Last edited by LE05; 06-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LE05 For This Useful Post:
heartdisease (06-17-2012), OpticNerve (07-13-2013)
#7 Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
You can see into these big fuses and they don't appear blown. I will check under the dash. It is a bad day for cars for me. I think the wifes Malibu just had a fuel pump die.
#8 Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Thanked 4,865 Times in 3,387 Posts
My father-in-law recently bought a Hyundai Genesis that has an internal switch preventing reverse polarity hookups from damaging the electronics. Hopefully more manufacturers will do this to prevent what is a very common mistake.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#9 Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You can see into these big fuses and they don't appear blown. I will check under the dash. It is a bad day for cars for me. I think the wifes Malibu just had a fuel pump die.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's just the mega-fuse. Update us as to what you found.
#10 Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Upon further inspection with a flashlight at multiple angles the 33030 does have the first junction blown. I changed a 10 amp fuse It was one of the ignition fuses under the dash. It will now start with my remote start but not with the key. I have dome lights and dash lights. No headlights etc, no power seats or ac, and the car won't go into gear. The abs lights are on the tpms light is on and the outside temp says E.

All the parts stores are already closed and wally world doesn't carry the right type of fuse. I hope the parts houses do as they are a mini size but the pins are very short and not the same as the standard mini fuses such as those under the hood. I am hoping I got away with just a bunch of blown fuses but we will see tomorrow.

I also have the wife's Malibu to trouble shoot, when it rains it pours. I found a bad relay in it, it was keeping the parking lights on all the time. It still wont start though. It will turn over and occasionally cough but not go. I think it is the fuel pump, If when it finally cools off and then it starts that will be an indication to me of the fuel pump. It has a clean fuel filter.
#11 Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
My father-in-law recently bought a Hyundai Genesis that has an internal switch preventing reverse polarity hookups from damaging the electronics. Hopefully more manufacturers will do this to prevent what is a very common mistake.
That is what I was hoping Toyota did on this car seems like it would be an easy thing to engineer and add at the factory.
#12 Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Thanked 4,865 Times in 3,387 Posts
Quote:
That is what I was hoping Toyota did on this car seems like it would be an easy thing to engineer and add at the factory.
Agreed. I'd rather have these kinds of highly practical things added by the manufacturer instead of stupid sh*t like an extra set of cupholders when a 1st or 2nd row already has one or two sets....stoopid stuff like that.... Hope you get this issue fixed soon....

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
#13 Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Twin & (1 of 8)

Quote:
Upon further inspection with a flashlight at multiple angles the 33030 does have the first junction blown. I changed a 10 amp fuse It was one of the ignition fuses under the dash. It will now start with my remote start but not with the key. I have dome lights and dash lights. No headlights etc, no power seats or ac, and the car won't go into gear. The abs lights are on the tpms light is on and the outside temp says E.

All the parts stores are already closed and wally world doesn't carry the right type of fuse. I hope the parts houses do as they are a mini size but the pins are very short and not the same as the standard mini fuses such as those under the hood. I am hoping I got away with just a bunch of blown fuses but we will see tomorrow.

I also have the wife's Malibu to trouble shoot, when it rains it pours. I found a bad relay in it, it was keeping the parking lights on all the time. It still wont start though. It will turn over and occasionally cough but not go. I think it is the fuel pump, If when it finally cools off and then it starts that will be an indication to me of the fuel pump. It has a clean fuel filter.
This 120 amp fuse is at the top of expanding layers of fusses and relays and more fuses.

As in;
These fuses will not have any power from the battery;
ABS 1 & 2
RR DEF
HTR
RDI FAN
FAN MAIN
Door #2
FR FOG
OBD
AM1
P/SEAT
POWER
S/ROOF
A/C
STOP

High current contacts battery power is absent on these relays also;
ACC
IG1
Tail
POWER

And the list keeps expanding from here.

MFG 02/25/2010
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna2 For This Useful Post:
Donald E. George (06-18-2012), heartdisease (06-18-2012)
#14 Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
You have been very helpful Luna2 and I appreciate it. I have my little girl with me today so I will have to wait until later when her mom gets home to really tear into it. I am afraid those little fuses under the dash might be a dealer only fuse as a couple of the parts houses here don't have them. I have a couple more to try and I am calling the dealer right now to see about that big bar fuse.
#15 Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Resident Nutcase

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Thanked 1,200 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
I am afraid those little fuses under the dash might be a dealer only fuse as a couple of the parts houses here don't have them.
If your talking about these fuses

they are dealer only. Autozone, advance auto, walmart, etc none of them carried that tiny fuse. Though my dealer didn't charge me for new ones (which is always a plus), you might get lucky.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeneyp For This Useful Post:
heartdisease (06-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Camry and Solara Forum > 5th & 6th Generation (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)