Toyota Nation Forum banner

tapping noise in engine

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Unco 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey,

Im wondering if anyone knows why i am getting a tapping noise in my car. I have a 1992 celica which has about 108000km on it. The noise i am hearing is a deep tapping noise which occurs when i press my foot on the accelerator. The noise does not happen in neutral nor does it occur in first gear. I first noticed the noise in 5the gear but has progrsssively worked its way trhough the gears down to 3rd and sometimes second. The tapping does not appear to affect the performance of the car.

I think it is something in the gearbox but i am only guessing. If anyone could identify possibley whats causing the noise it would be much apprecited.

Thanks

#3 ·
Did your car make a similar noise when the bearings went? Ill try that tomorrow, I also know my CV joints need replacing which i was getting around to doing soon could this be the reason for the noise. I know they are meant to click when turning if they are broken but the tapping noise happens even when im not turning and its not really a clicking noise so i didnt think it was them.

#4 ·
yes, it did make a similar noise, like a tapping and it kept getting worse. once i managed to snap the end of the driveshaft altogether because of a bad hub bearing.

if it does turn out to be the hub bearing, check out the hub itself, where the bearing sits as it could also be worn out. if that's the case, just get a good one from the wreckers, they're fairly cheap.

#5 ·
hey,

I just jakced the car up but the wheels have no movement up an down. When i rotate the wheels with my hand whne in neutral i can hear a tapping noise as the wheel rotates that increses the faster i spin it. Is this normal or could this be part of my problem?

#6 · (Edited)
from memory, the ticking when you have the car jacked up is normal. it's just the differential doing its thing. i still think it could be a hub bearing. can't think of anything else it could be, maybe take the wheels off and check that the calipers are on tight.

were you planning to replace the CV's yourself? or were you gonna take it into a shop? if you're getting them done at a shop. get them to replace the hub bearings at the same time, it shouldn't cost that much extra. these days i always also replace the hub bearing when a CV joint goes regardless of noise.

#7 · (Edited)
yeah alright ill take em off and have a look. I was going to get them done at a shop. I still dont know why worn hub bearings would cause the noise to occur only when i place my foot on the accelerator but then then stop when i take my foot off, wouldnt a noise caused by a worn hub bearing happen all the time?

#11 ·
i just lifted the car and removed the fron wheels and got someone to drive the car and the broken CV joint was making a fair bit of noise as the revs progressed. I couldnt hear too much comming from inside the gearbox because the CV joint was making noise. I will get this replaced on mondayand see if there is a difference. Until then out of curiosity could this be the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.