Toyota Nation Forum banner
2M views 2K replies 108 participants last post by  molson.david 
"Front LED's are standard issue on the FT-86 High-spec edition. This version of the FT-86 weighs 2,712 pounds and gets, standard HIDs, leather seats, 6-speaker stereo, white RPM dial with shift light, sport pedals, 17s and keyless entry/ start. The low-spec version gets a two-speaker stereo, 16-inch wheels and weighs in at 2,667 pounds. Tires on the high-spec model are 215/45R17 compared with 205/55R16 on the base car.

Both cars get front struts with double-wishbone rear suspension (which we've seen before on the racecar), limited slip (when equipped with a 6MT instead of the 6AT), stability control, and a 2.0-liter boxer engine. The engine makes 200 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 151 pound-feet of torque at 6,600.

The FR-S is 166 inches long, 69.88 inches wide, 50.59 inches tall and has a wheelbase of 101.18 inches."

Little torque at very very high rpms, mmmmmmmm.
Wow, that's going to be a pretty small car. Sounds like it is going to be a blast to drive. :naughty: Though I'd expect a little more torque out of it.

It is a high revving engine where the stroke is short (which means the engine spins up very quickly) and produces lots of torque at very high rpms. This thing is most likely is going to be a screamer engine with lots of response, sound and pull at the top end rpm.

Also, that is because the emphasis is on torque curve over the whole rev range and not peak torque (which is only 1 point on the entire graph).

Toyota tunes all of its high-revving engines these days to produce a flat torque curve across a very wide rev range.

Even though, the peak is at very high rpm (6600 rpm), it will definitely achieve over 90% of its peak torque 151 ft-lbs at a very low 3000 rpm, if this engine follows the new tuning philosophy of Toyota.

Regarding making it quick, the short gearing will take care of quick acceleration lots of grunt in the midrange. A 0 - 60 mph in 5.7 -5.8 seconds is highly likely and 1/4 mile should be in the 14.2 - 14.4 second range. The power to weight ratio says, trap speed will be in the 98 - 99 mph region.

Moving the peak torque at very high rpm only ensures the engine continues to pull strong at very high rpms close to 8000 rpm rather than falling on its face (which most of the engines simply die after 6000 rpm).

Plus, it is 600 lbs lighter than the Mazdaspeed 3 and GTI, despite being RWD instead of FWD (RWD typically is a heavier layout because of the prop shaft, diff etc. driving the rear wheels). That is a huge plus.
I hope this proves to be true when the car finally hits showroom floors. If it is anything like 2ZZ-GE powered cars, then this is going to be one hell of a quick-revving engine. I hope the 0-60 will be in the sub 6 second range. Even though this car isn't meant for straight line speed, I still want something that is relatively quick. I wonder how easy it will be to tune for power without going forced induction?

Let me tell you, if Yamaha had role in the development of this engine (which I suspect they do), you will be able to get a lot more power naturally aspirated out of this little screamer engine with intake/header/exhaust + PFC tune. :chug::chug:
Yeah, I figured if Yamaha was involved then the power output would be much more than just 200 hp. If Honda can squeeze nearly 240 hp out of their little 4-cylinder in the S2000, Toyota and Yamaha could do it too. Hopefully there will be a large aftermarket right when the car comes out. I'd rather not wait months and months for mods to come out.

Anyways, look what I found :)

Yeah, Toyota/Yamaha can easily extract 230 - 240 HP especially on a direct injected engine.

However, I suspect they deliberately did a conservative tune to achieve high emissions rating (only 160 gm/km).

What engine is that??
Supposedly it's the FT-86 engine according to FT86-Club. Engine bay looks a bit cramped though. However, I definitely like the chassis brace right there.

^That's like the old Cavaliers back in the day. Remember those black bumpers?

I was hoping for torque around 165-170 ish. I don't like gutless wonders. My 95 Mustang might only have a paltry 145 hp, but that 215 ft. lbs. makes a big difference.
How big of a difference does it really make? My Avalon would still beat it :D

The BZR is December's cover story in Motor Trend! Specs:

Base Price: $25,000
Engine: 2.0L/200hp (est)/170lb-ft (est) DOHC 16 Valve Flat-4
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual, 6-Speed Auto
Curbweight: 2,500lb (Mfr. Est)
Wheelbase: 93.5" (est)
Length x Width x Height: 148.8 x 70.0 x 46.8 (est)
0-60MPH: 6.0 Seconds (MT Est)
EPA City/Highway: 25-27/30-32MPG (est)

They also said that "Subaru engineers concede there's more power to come from the boxer four", but will not confirm if a turbo version. Engineers also said it was designed to allow for a convertible, and that the platform can be stretched. Those are the highlights of the article anyway, with most of it focusing on analyzing the design and genesis of the car.
Hmm, it's estimated to be lighter than the Scion version? :confused:

Lol, I think you guys are spoiled by todays higher displacement, high output engines. This is a 2.0L engine, so expecting more power in normally aspirated form gets very expensive without variable valve lift.

My V6 MR2 has a 3.0L engine with 215hp/220lb-ft, so the power output is pretty good considering. If my engine put out 300hp from 3.0L in N/A form, I'd be pretty damn happy, alas it doesn't. My chassis weighs about 2680lbs, so this new FR car is pretty similar. Also, Toyota has been underrating their engines a bit as of late. The 179hp 2AR is actually closer to 190hp, based on dyno numbers, but it's also a 2.5L.

If you had a ride in my car, you'd agree that weight is the biggest fun killer in todays cars. Don't get caught up in the numbers game. Remember, the Elise with ONLY 190hp? Sure would blow past a lot of cars, and on a track, it's a weapon.
I agree. Weight makes the biggest difference. I think the low weight, high revving engine, and close ratio 6 speed transmission along with the low center of gravity will make this car a blast to drive. It'll definitely be quick. Not a hp monster, but it doesn't need to be. Plus the aftermarket for this car will be huge once it goes on sale.

^Yeah, but you have 220 ft. lbs. of torque. That's a LOT compared to this concept, and it makes a huge difference. If this car had more torque then I would be happy, I'm not as concerned about hp numbers.
I think if you test drove it and enjoyed it, you wouldn't be complaining about any sort of numbers anymore :lol:

Sounds good for a 4-cylinder, but that doesn't say a whole lot. I'm sure it sounds better in person though. A CAI would make it sound more mean ;)

just saw both concepts today in person at the LA Auto Show...look stylish of course, but that's why I said when I first saw them online. BR-Z looked more production ready than the FR-S, but we still have to wait a little longer.
How do they look in terms of size? Are they as small as an MX-5?

Wow that car looks amazing. Though this is a more loaded model. I don't think the Scion version will have heated seats or a nav system. And I can live without those items.

I think Toyota gave the North American market to Subaru in a silver platter. The styling is much more aggressive on the Subaru version and the 'Scion' badging will pretty much make it a no brainer deal breaker for buyers deciding to go for 'Subaru' version considering the much stronger prestige point and history in rally racing and as a performance car builder. It would sound a lot better saying "I own a Subaru BR-Z" than saying "I own a Scion. Not the TC, but the new one called FR-S". What heritage does Scion have to counter that? Nothing.
If I were to get this car, (which I'm strongly considering once it goes on sale) I don't think I would call it a Scion. I would de-badge it, maybe even rebadge as Toyota and say I own the newest Toyota sports car that just came out. I never liked really Scion's image.

Scion FR-S spotted in California. Looks like we got ripped off; Basic halogen lights as DRL instead of LED, smaller exhaust tips, and no fog lights.. :(

I'm very disappointed. The interior looks depressing compared to the other two, lack of HIDs and LED DRLs, puny exhaust tips, but those will be easily switched out, and a lack of foglights.

What did we North Americans do to deserve this?? :cursin:

What I'm thankful for is that they didn't put the stupid Scion engraving on the back, and the badges look like they can be easily swapped. If this car is more than $23k, I would probably get the Subaru.

All those plastic bits screams, "SCION!" And the climate control knob aesthetics and all....typical Scion to screw that one over too. Should of kept the Toyota aesthetics as it actually looks better. Glad Scion decided to get rid of that stupid "scion" engraving they had on their concept. The FR-S emblem is too big IMO, and the headlight screams "cut-downs." I have a feeling a lot of people will either swap out the BRZ's version or the Toyota's JDM version. I prefer the BRZs lights though.

What I can't wait for is the huge aftermarket backing from Japan. I know for sure, all the top shops will not be able to calm down getting their hands on one to create some awesome, performance parts on hand and since it's a boxer engine from Subaru, it'll sound pretty throaty.
I would definitely swap headlights with the 86 as one of the first mods. Unfortunately with the BRZ headlights, they are a slightly different shape than 86/FR-S headlights, so a front bumper replacement would be necessary.

^^^ I was hoping for a real life segment, not a computer generated video.
Here you go. :thumbsup:

This vid gets really good after about 4:39. Lots of great drift action.

so are most of you guys set on buying the Scion version or the Subie? just outta curiousity
It's hard to say until they reveal pricing for both models in the U.S. It's likely that I'll only be able to afford the Scion, so that may be it. I like the Subaru a little better because it has the features I like (LED DRLs, nice interior trim, modern HVAC controls) but I really don't like the gauges it has. They're too generic looking compared to the sportier gauges found in the Toyota/Scion.

It's too bad this car is so ugly. You'd think somebody out there could design a nice looking coupe.
You're probably posting in the wrong thread. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.