Toyota Nation Forum banner

341 - 348 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue on my 2019 platinum LTD.
No voice command only 1200 miles on mine...
I only noticed it was not working because we are on Thanksgiving road trip nav screen shows turns but no audible prompts this is dangerous as I constantly must look at the screen for directions.
Took it in the dealer in Raleigh NC they were great got it working with a reboot ( disconnected the battery) we all believed that was the fix shut the vehicle down and restarted it and no voice command.
A fix I tried is changing the language from English to French give a voice command (phone call prompt etc) and Change it back to English.
It worked but went out for meal got back in my HL tried the nav and NADA no voice command.

I am frustrated as well $45,000 for a top of the line brand new truck and is what we get?
My 2013 limited never give me a bit of headache,not feeling this new Highlander starting to have some buyers remorse.
At least we know it is not an isolated issue.
We are gonna need to make noise about this one it is a serious safety concern from my perspective.

Update:I also discovered the talk to rear passengers system is not working either. Wondering if this is part of or connected to the voice command system...is anyone else having this issue also?
we had that problem back in February and got it fixed in March. the techs should be aware of tech tip T-SB-0042-19

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same issue. I just bought a 2019 which was the dealer loaner a month ago. It's been driving me crazy not being able to get the voice prompts to work.
You will need the new updated amp to correct the issue.
Do not waste time allowing anyone at the dealership suggesting software updates etc (they know better by now)
If they give you the run around at the dealership contact Toyota corporate directly and the they will assist you.
I don't have the number(s) handy for the corporate contact however it is mentioned several times in previous post in the section.
Good luck and happy New Year!

BTW,on the upside the updated amp that resolves the issue does have an improved audio system sound so there is some benefit for the rump ache.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will need the new updated amp to correct the issue.
Do not waste time allowing anyone at the dealership suggesting software updates etc (they know better by now)
If they give you the run around at the dealership contact Toyota corporate directly and the they will assist you.
I don't have the number(s) handy for the corporate contact however it is mentioned several times in previous post in the section.
Good luck and happy New Year!

BTW,on the upside the updated amp that resolves the issue does have an improved audio system sound so there is some benefit for the rump ache.
I figured out that the prompts will work if you start the car up with the radio or Ipod playing. If there's no sound playing when the car is started then the prompts are silent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is very painfully specially when you have spend $ 45000 on a car , also delears hardly know about these things & the waste a lot of time .

I also notice that the sensor only beeps when I am 1 ft away from anything & I cant find a sensitivity setting button or option

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
This is very painfully specially when you have spend $ 45000 on a car , also delears hardly know about these things & the waste a lot of time .

I also notice that the sensor only beeps when I am 1 ft away from anything & I cant find a sensitivity setting button or option
What sensor were you referring to (Sensors don't beep)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My sister bought her 2019 Platinum XLE Highlander in May 2019. The NAV didn't work. The Toyota dealership where she purchased the vehicle was unprofessional. She had all the bulletins, but they refused to read them. Instead, they taught her how to do voice recognition and advised her to use the NAV system with her voice. She didn't need to use it manually. Well, that worked for one night. She went back to them and they stated they didn't know what she was talking about. Basically, called her a liar and didn't give a damn what problems she was having.

She told me about the NAV system not working. I found out all the info here. I advised her of it, but she waited for me t visit to take care of it. We contacted another dealership because the one that was servicing her vehicle would not listen to reason and again stated they didn't know what she was talking about. The second dealership knew of the problem but stated the only thing they could do was a software update. AT that point, I told my sister I am going to contact Toyota corporate. I called and was issued a case number. They were aware of the problem, but couldn't understand why the service departments at both dealerships were not aware of the fix.

They contacted the first dealership and the regional manager called very apologetic and stated they were aware of the problem. When can you come in and get it fixed? We have the part. We told them no, we were going to another dealership. The other dealership seemed to know about the problem. I knew at that point, we would have to have corporate call them to get the right repair performed. Corporate did contact the 2nd dealership since that is where my sister usually take her vehicles for maintenance.

Today, January 20, 2020, my sister had the repair completed at the 2nd dealership. It was not without problems. They left the hood up and forgot to reset the rear hatch. There were lights everywhere on the dash. She ended up taking it back. However, their service personnel were unprofessional and rude. I mean it wasn't her fault he didn't know anything about the fix. In fact, one of his colleagues advised him that the software fix will not repair the problem. This guy was not hearing that the amp needed to be replaced. He was only interested in the software fix. It's a shame the unprofessional attitude and nastiness my sister had to endure by these folks. It's just terrible. It was a horrible experience.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Limited Platinum
1 Posts
As a follow-up to my post above: One or two pages back in this forum there is an attachment of a Toyota service bulletin T-SB-0042-19 dated April 11, 2019. I will try to attach it here as well. So, Toyota has known about this problem at least back into April and probably longer. I called Toyota Corporate back and told the lady my first case number which she read. I then told her that there is a Toyota service bulletin pertaining to my problem, gave her, the number, and after a few minutes on hold, she gave me a new case #. She said a Customer relations manager would call me the next day. A lady from the dealership called the next day and said that I still need to have my vehicle diagnosed for the problem and then they would go from there. What irks me the most is that even though Toyota knows that there is a problem, they don't do anything until the customer calls them on it. Why not go through their inventory and check out the problem and repair the problem BEFORE they sell you the car? I am pretty sure that it is to protect the dealer. Don't tell anyone about the problem because you probably won't sell the car and that would be total chaos for the sales department. Let the consumer take the fall and then fix it under warranty. It's NOT what I would call good customer service. Before I leave the dealership next week, especially if they say it is fixed, I will double check the audio on the navigation and make sure they didn't just do the "work around" solution for a temporary fix. The "work around" is posted in this forum somewhere, but if you can't find it, let me know and I will re post it.
Thank you for posting the TSB on this frustrating JBL Nav issue. I bought my 2019 Platinum Highlander in July 2019 and the dealer in St. Peters, MO claimed it was a software issue and no updates where forthcoming as far as they knew. Then, the 2nd time I brought it in, a technician showed me the workaround you have to perform each time you start the car. He claimed there was a "bulletin" on this issue and he explained there was only a manual workaround (the TSB came out in April and this was 3 months later!!!). A few months later, I was visiting my son and took it to a dealership in Troy,MI and they claimed it was a software issue and there was no pending updates as far as they knew. I next took it to a dealership in Wyoming near me and, yes, "don't know" as it's "a software issue" waiting for resolution from Toyota was all they could tell me.

Either the Toyota dealerships are vastly uninformed or there's something else going on. Either way, I have driven Volvo's since 1996 and this is the LAST TOYOTA I'll ever waste my money on given the response on this Nav problem. I bought a Toyota naively believing they are bulletproof. Was I wrong! Hey, I understand if a vehicle comes with a problem as they are very complex systems. But to knowingly avoid fixing the problem for a customer and blame it on the manufacturer? Also, why didn't Toyota contact me directly about this? Why didn't they fix it before they shipped the vehicle to the dealer or tell the dealer to fix before they sold the vehicle?

I submitted a NHTSA Safety Complaint on this as it is easy to forget to go through the manual workaround each time you start the car, especially if you are traveling and need the Nav system as we have been recently. It is a safety issue as you are then forced to glance at the display to see where to go and I've had several near-misses as a result.

341 - 348 of 348 Posts