Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
イリジウム
13,371 Posts
You can look up the part numbers on either Denso or NGK's site and order from rockauto. I personally prefer NGK plugs. In either case you don't have to change them for a long time.

And use the rockauto 5% off code if you buy there, scroll to the newest post:

Question for folks on here. What replacement spark plugs would folks recommend or are currently using to replace OEM?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I want to just take the time to say "Thank You" to all the knowledgeable people on here.

I am not a mechanic or an old "car guy" obviously, so I come here to ask questions or get help from people who know more than me.

You all are very knowledgeable and a great resource for fools like me who are just trying to have fun and do the right thing maintaining their car.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I want to just take the time to say "Thank You" to all the knowledgeable people on here.

I am not a mechanic or an old "car guy" obviously, so I come here to ask questions or get help from people who know more than me.

You all are very knowledgeable and a great resource for fools like me who are just trying to have fun and do the right thing maintaining their car.

Thanks again!
Same here. Only a fool doesn't want to learn ;) So I don't think you are :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Question for folks on here. What replacement spark plugs would folks recommend or are currently using to replace OEM?
I read a post somewhere said that the NGK spark plugs would last longer than the Denso and more stable but the Denso produce more powerful sparks.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,410 Posts
I read a post somewhere said that the NGK spark plugs would last longer than the Denso and more stable but the Denso produce more powerful sparks.
NGK doesn't have an applicable spark plug yet... Denso just recently introduced spark plug # FC20HR-Q8 specifically for new Toyota engines.

Also from Denso for 2.0 M20A-FKS engine are Iridium TT IXEH22TT and Iridium Tough VFCH20 (available soon).

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla SE CVT
108 Posts
They're not due for replacement until you're at 120,000 miles...

OEM spark plugs are Denso FC20HR-Q8

Also available; Denso Iridium TT IXEH22TT and Denso Iridium Tough VFCH20
thank you, I only found some one rockauto but didn’t know the denso #

·
Registered
146 Posts
The iridium OEM plugs last about 120,000 miles, but they should be loosened and retightened every year or two to keep them from getting frozen in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
corollacoaster (#29) is correct. I bought a used 2007 Matrix and waited until ~100k miles to change the plugs, the process of 'seizure' had begun. I sweated bullets as I exerted more and more force on my ratchet, there was some creaking but the plugs all came out. The problem is that the steel gasket on the plug is crushed into the aluminum head, in very close contact. Aluminum is higher in the metal activity series than iron so galvanic corrosion occurs, sometimes it seems as if the plug's hex bolt washer has been welded onto the head.

The following is controversial but upon re-insertion, wipe anti-seize on the threads, start two threads back from the end to avoid burning and use a very thin film with a q-tip applicator; also, wipe a thin film on the washer, remember that the spark plug is electrically grounded by the washer and too much grease is an insulator. On my Yamaha outboard (even with anti-seize) the spark plug washer corroded tight, I snapped the plug ceramic off, now there was a ripped sheet metal hex 'bolt' stuck in the head. Next, an 'easy-out' snapped inside the remaining pipe bore of the spark plug. I have removed that engine head and I am pondering how to get the threaded spark plug pipe out without destroying the threads on the head.

Don't risk it! Loosen and tighten the spark plugs every 20k miles. Some people do not like the anti-seize modification, but I have performed four spark plug changes (400k miles on two Matrix cars) with no problems, you must use a very light anti-seize coating.

·
Registered
10 Camry 16 Highland
134 Posts
Look up CarCare Nut Channel on YouTube. He's a Toyota Master Mechanic in Chicago and tells you about changing plugs. Bottom line, don't bother until at least 100K miles, no need to even touch them until then, and don't use anti-seize.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts